Author Topic: Candy Apple Café & Cocktails permanently closed  (Read 5123 times)

KenFSU

Re: Candy Apple Café & Cocktails permanently closed
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 09:11:18 PM »
^Consider yourself lucky.

They never should have squeezed Candy Apple out.

Place was constantly packed out, a Sunday brunch staple, and the perfect complement to Sweet Pete's.

Never made sense to replace a whimsical, tremendously on-brand, candy-themed restaurant with a lifeless contemporary space serving bland $20 salads and having roughly the romance and vibe of the waiting room at a dentist's office.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 09:49:20 PM »
I hear FSCJ's 20 West is also closing in June.

Doesn't seem the survival rate is very good for downtown.  Food business is always tough but maybe tougher downtown?  What are the longest running restaurants there (not counting the River Club :) ).  I guess some in the Landing but now they come to an end too.

KenFSU

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:54 PM »
^Hate to say it because I love the restoration and the concept, but 20 West was pretty awful too. Weird ambiance, not particularly comfortable to be in, and overpriced food, particularly for a restaurant advertised as student training.

I actually don't think the scene is as bad as you think. I think it's just like anywhere else - the cream rises and does well, the unoriginal/overpriced/questionable quality restaurants do not.

You had to make reservations to guarantee a lunch spot at Candy Apple it was so popular. A couple months later, you'd practically be dining alone if you went to MLG for lunch.

Places like Bellwether, Cowford, Happy Grilled Cheese, Jimmy Johns, Zodiac, Tossgreen, Indochine, Burrito Gallery, Superfood, Magnificat, Olio, Desert Rider, and even Chamblin's have lines out the door at lunch time. The food trucks in Hemming and the courtyard look like they're doing great business too.

The Landing restaurants mostly fell into the "dead because they're awful" not "dead because of their location" category.

With the exception of places like Nature's Table that no one even knows about because of the stupid sign ordinance, I think blaming the general downtown market for any restaurant's failure is just an easy crutch.

The taco restaurant and pizza place have one of the best locations in the city directly between the Federal and County courthouses, but they're permanently on the brink of closure because they're trash and one out of every three entrees comes with a dead rat on top.

Quiznos can complain about food trucks cutting into their business, but the restaurant smells like a dumpster and no one seems to care.

You'd have to order six different entrees at Adam's Street Deli before you'd find one that was actually in stock.

Big Pete's looks like a legitimate warzone on the inside, I constantly expect a random cinderblock to fall on my head at any time when I'm in there, and I'm fairly certain they serve leftover Hungry Howies, but at least they know the market, have a super nice staff, a bring a legitimate value prop to the table (unapologetically cheap food in an area where the lunch tab hovers between $12 and $25).

Ditto Desert Rider, whose store is nothing special to look at, but has built a fiercely loyal customer base on the back of great service, solid food, and a great cookie gimmick.

Candy Apple notwithstanding, I am having a hard time thinking of a single restaurant that's closed downtown in the last year that didn't deserve to close and that wouldn't have suffered the same fate at the St. Johns Town Center.

You can stick Aramark food at the top of an office tower, but it's still Aramark food.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:33:45 PM by KenFSU »

tufsu1

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:27 PM »
I hear FSCJ's 20 West is also closing in June.

Doesn't seem the survival rate is very good for downtown.  Food business is always tough but maybe tougher downtown?  What are the longest running restaurants there (not counting the River Club :) ).  I guess some in the Landing but now they come to an end too.

Welcome to Lenny Curry's downtown strategy - where Daily's Place is the foundation for revitalization
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:32:01 PM by tufsu1 »

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 09:35:10 AM »
^Hate to say it because I love the restoration and the concept, but 20 West was pretty awful too. Weird ambiance, not particularly comfortable to be in, and overpriced food, particularly for a restaurant advertised as student training.

I actually don't think the scene is as bad as you think. I think it's just like anywhere else - the cream rises and does well, the unoriginal/overpriced/questionable quality restaurants do not.

You had to make reservations to guarantee a lunch spot at Candy Apple it was so popular. A couple months later, you'd practically be dining alone if you went to MLG for lunch.

Places like Bellwether, Cowford, Happy Grilled Cheese, Jimmy Johns, Zodiac, Tossgreen, Indochine, Burrito Gallery, Superfood, Magnificat, Olio, Desert Rider, and even Chamblin's have lines out the door at lunch time. The food trucks in Hemming and the courtyard look like they're doing great business too.

The Landing restaurants mostly fell into the "dead because they're awful" not "dead because of their location" category.

With the exception of places like Nature's Table that no one even knows about because of the stupid sign ordinance, I think blaming the general downtown market for any restaurant's failure is just an easy crutch.

The taco restaurant and pizza place have one of the best locations in the city directly between the Federal and County courthouses, but they're permanently on the brink of closure because they're trash and one out of every three entrees comes with a dead rat on top.

Quiznos can complain about food trucks cutting into their business, but the restaurant smells like a dumpster and no one seems to care.

You'd have to order six different entrees at Adam's Street Deli before you'd find one that was actually in stock.

Big Pete's looks like a legitimate warzone on the inside, I constantly expect a random cinderblock to fall on my head at any time when I'm in there, and I'm fairly certain they serve leftover Hungry Howies, but at least they know the market, have a super nice staff, a bring a legitimate value prop to the table (unapologetically cheap food in an area where the lunch tab hovers between $12 and $25).

Ditto Desert Rider, whose store is nothing special to look at, but has built a fiercely loyal customer base on the back of great service, solid food, and a great cookie gimmick.

Candy Apple notwithstanding, I am having a hard time thinking of a single restaurant that's closed downtown in the last year that didn't deserve to close and that wouldn't have suffered the same fate at the St. Johns Town Center.

You can stick Aramark food at the top of an office tower, but it's still Aramark food.

Amazing work and holy shit this is funny:

"but they're permanently on the brink of closure because they're trash and one out of every three entrees comes with a dead rat on top. "

remc86007

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »

I've only gotten food poisoning from one restaurant in Jacksonville: the pizza place at that location. I think it has changed hands several times since then, but I'm not going to risk it until they go a few months without a health code violation.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 03:48:00 PM »
3rd closure this week downtown:  Mocha Misk'i.

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »
The taco place closed months ago, pizza is still there. Whispers is almost ready to open, although it seems to be a strange location for an oyster and crab bar.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »
Would be ashame if 20 West Cafe closes before the Barnett apartments & offices open. You'd think they'd get a significant boost once it opens.

But....isn't that run by FSCJ? They going to kick themselves out of their own building?

tufsu1

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »
3rd closure this week downtown:  Mocha Misk'i.

Mayor Curry's #winning downtown strategy continues

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 06:17:40 AM »
Would be ashame if 20 West Cafe closes before the Barnett apartments & offices open. You'd think they'd get a significant boost once it opens.

But....isn't that run by FSCJ? They going to kick themselves out of their own building?

Thought the same thing. Seems odd lol.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
I ate at MLG a couple times because of my love for chef Roderick.  Food was good, but the atmosphere was awful.  They repainted the Candy Apple chairs and hung some bland art on the walls and called it a day.  It seemed like they spent as little as possible.  I always assumed the decor was temporary, but the permanent never showed up.  It was really weird.  I'm sure he'll find a new gig because his food is awesome.  Maybe he'll go back to Jax Diner.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »
I ate at MLG a couple times because of my love for chef Roderick.    I'm sure he'll find a new gig because his food is awesome.  Maybe he'll go back to Jax Diner.

Luckily, Savannah is a quick trip. He is going to Olde Pink House.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 09:31:03 AM »
I ate at MLG a couple times because of my love for chef Roderick.    I'm sure he'll find a new gig because his food is awesome.  Maybe he'll go back to Jax Diner.

Luckily, Savannah is a quick trip. He is going to Olde Pink House.
It's a lot farther than MLG is from my office, but I'm happy for him.  I'll have to make a trip to go see him.

remc86007

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »
And now the whole building is for sale:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/historic-sweet-petes-building-in-downtown-jacksonville-is-for-sale

Maybe because Sugarfina's suit wasn't "total BS," liquidity has become a problem.