Author Topic: A Summer Evening on the Chicago River  (Read 732 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
A Summer Evening on the Chicago River
« on: August 28, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »

Along a river once used as a drainage system for the city’s lumber and meatpacking industry, construction on the first phase of the Chicago Riverwalk began in 2001 as a part of the Chicago Department of Transportation’s Wacker Drive reconstruction project. Utilizing a narrow strip of area on the south bank of the river between Lake Shore Drive and Lake Street, the Riverwalk links a series of civic spaces, many of which are integrated into the construction of the road above them.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/a-summer-evening-on-the-chicago-river/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: A Summer Evening on the Chicago River
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
Was there two years ago on business and stayed in a hotel (Marriott?) right on the river.  What an awesome place.  Bars... food.. walking/exercize, boating/watercraft, Taxi tours, party barges... Downtown Chicago has replaced San Francisco for me as a "go to" place...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jaxnyc79

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
Was in Chicago in April and will be back again in September.  A remarkable city, too bad the branding sometimes takes a hit from the violent crime in certain neighborhoods, which are far removed from the center city.  There is something about being able to drive along the length of its waterfront - same thing in Tampa - I wish Jax had the same sort of access and visibility to its extensive waterfront.

Todd_Parker

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:39 PM »
Was there back in May and took one of the Chicago Architecture boat tours. For an already developed area, it was incredible to see the hundreds of millions of dollars in construction still taking place to add more high-rises along the river.

If only those developers knew about the Jacksonville shipyards!

copperfiend

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:07:17 AM »
Chicago is an amazing city. I like the neighborhoods like Andersonville and Hyde Park.

Truth be told I have not been in the winter. But in the spring and summer, it is great.