Author Topic: Hyatt Place plans show power of public persuasion  (Read 4593 times)

Kerry

Re: Hyatt Place plans show power of public persuasion
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »
Tearing down the Landing looks like a foolish thing to do with a Hotel being built right across the street. The Landing would be ideal venue for visitors, in town for the first time. The new patrons would give instant life to the Landing. 

agreed, but I think the City shelving the  convention center idea (again) will have a larger impact on whether this gets built.

No one thought the City was serious about that.  That was just a scheme to make Khan's plan seem financially reasonable.
Third Place

Captain Zissou

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 09:13:52 AM »
I can't wait to see Kerry's new spring line of tinfoil hats.

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »

Do you think the City was serious about a new convention center with their RFP?
Third Place

Captain Zissou

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 12:15:09 PM »

Do you think the City was serious about a new convention center with their RFP?

I don't think the city has any idea what they are doing.  They put out unrealistic parameters for the RFP, didn't like how much it would cost them, and then pulled the plug.  They want to make sure Shad Khan gets a good deal, but they don't know how much money is involved in actually building these civic amenities.  Due to decades of fiscal mismanagement and poor development efforts, what the city now needs has snowballed to a point that we can't afford it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
That RFP came out like it was intended to serve as documentation for a predetermined position. It's like the city has no real clue of how to successfully redevelop DT but is too stubborn to admit it or seek the creation of a cohesive master and implementation plan for the CBD.

Alternative, more affordable and logical convention center solutions (ex. adding an exhibition hall to the Hyatt's meeting space) still have not been fully vetted and explored in the public eye. Even today, there's no talk of issuing a RFP that allows for that consideration or even working with Hyatt's ownership to explore potential P3 opportunities.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »
You guys are over-thinking it.  Curry was full steam ahead with the whole "Khan will make everything wonderful and I can run Senate/Governor/whatever in 4 years" plan.  The City issued the RFP and was going to use the billion dollar price tag to sell the population on Khan's shipyard plan that would cost taxpayers less.  Then the whole Shipyards thing blew up and it became just Lot J which is also in the process of blowing up.

The faster the Jags leave town the sooner Jax can recover.
Third Place

edjax

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 04:14:29 PM »
Is this project dead now?

Lostwave

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
Lot J is not dead nor dying.  Where do you get your information?

There are surveyors on site as we speak.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 09:32:30 AM »
Lot J is not dead nor dying.  Where do you get your information?

There are surveyors on site as we speak.

Just guessing, but I think edjax was asking about the nominal subject of this thread - Hyatt Place on Hogan Street.

KenFSU

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
^It's not currently in the mayor's five-year capital spending plan, but he does insist that the complex and prisoners will be relocated from the riverfront by the time he leaves office.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »
Either waiting on that JEA money or planning to attempt to privatize the jail....
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 09:06:38 PM »
This Hyatt project; now that the Landing is as good as gone, is it dead? I don't really care about Lot J; I do care about the central business district, central core, urban core, downtown center, whatever you want to call it. I hope it (the Hyatt Place) is not dead. So what's going on with it? I heard someone talk about a 5 year capital spending plan and the "Hyatt Place?" is not in it. Is this where we are with the Hyatt Place?
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Ken_FSU

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 10:48:29 PM »
^Sorry, it was a bad joke about the 5-year capital spending plan. Hyatt Place is a private project, so it wouldn't be included.

All jokes aside, seems premature to label this project dead. Legislation to grant aerial easements for Hyatt Place was passed over the summer, which makes the project more recently active than La Quinta, Courtyard Marriott, Berkman II, Lot J, AC by Marriott, etc.

Wouldn't blame them if they decided to pause due to the retreat on a new Convention Center or Landing situation (I'd be less concerned about the loss of retail and more concerned about fronting a property that looks like it's going to be a vacant lawn/construction zone for years to come), but hotels always have a tendency to take longer than expected to break ground.

Personally don't have a clue as to the status, but feels premature to write it off entirely.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »
Maybe the Hyatt place is pausing until after the demolition of the Landing, and then they will acquire that property and rebuild something even better. (pipe dreams LOL). You just never know.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!