Author Topic: Metro Jacksonville to shut down, The Jaxson coming soon  (Read 15737 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Metro Jacksonville to shut down, The Jaxson coming soon
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:40:02 PM »
Metro Jacksonville to shut down, The Jaxson coming soon

Twelve years after we first started publishing hyperlocal, urban-focused content in Jacksonville, Metro Jacksonville is throwing in the towel. As of July 9, the site as you know it will be no more. Our articles have been returned to their original creators. We couldn’t be prouder of the work we’ve done, the community we’ve built, and the progress we’ve seen in this city, but it’s time for a change.

Read More: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/1969-dec-metro-jacksonville-to-shut-down-the-jaxson-coming-soon

billy

Re: Metro Jacksonville to shut down, The Jaxson coming soon
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:43:54 PM »
Glennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Mooneyhand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sp?)

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »
Will there be links to The Jaxson from here, when it goes live?  I assume we will have to create new logins at the new site. 
From a poster (no, not that kind, the kind printed on heavy paper, and meant to be hung on the wall) I had in college, "Behold the turtle, who makes no progress until he sticks his neck out."

brainstormer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »
Metrojacksonville provided me a forum to engage in the history and development of the city when I moved here in 2007. Over the years it turned away from the content I loved. I'm excited for The Jaxon and look forward to continuing the conversation focused on our past and future. Thank you guys for your commitment to improving this city.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:20:08 PM »
Will there be links to The Jaxson from here, when it goes live?  I assume we will have to create new logins at the new site. 
From a poster (no, not that kind, the kind printed on heavy paper, and meant to be hung on the wall) I had in college, "Behold the turtle, who makes no progress until he sticks his neck out."

This will be incorporated. You will not have to create new logins.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

remc86007

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:22:36 PM »
Looking forward to the new site. Curious if this is part of a settlement with SD.

Bike Jax

• Bike Jax
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:04:43 PM »
Please, Please, RSS!!! If news doesn't hit my feed, it doesn't get read.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 11:50:39 PM »
Looking forward to the new site. Curious if this is part of a settlement with SD.

There's nothing to settle. That frivolous case was dismissed months ago. We're moving on to bigger, better things.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
Will we keep our post totals? I want to still be able to call people out for being n00bs

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
Congratulations on your new partnership with WJCT! I hope this not only draw more viewers but bring back many that got disillusioned with the site and forums with all the previous drama and stuff. I hope you'll also merge the content of ModernCities with this new site.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »
Love the new name!

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
Curious....  when I googled "The Jaxson" I was sent to this site...

http://www.thejaxson.com/

What will be the new URL?

funwithteeth

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »
Curious....  when I googled "The Jaxson" I was sent to this site...

http://www.thejaxson.com/

What will be the new URL?
www.notheotherjaxson.org

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, y'all! We're really excited about this new project and looking forward to getting things started.

We anticipate that Modern Cities and the Jaxson will be sister sites - Modern Cities will be the place for broader content, and the Jaxson will cover stuff that's local to the Jacksonville area.

As for the URL, it'll be www.thejaxsonmag.com.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
Metrojacksonville provided me a forum to engage in the history and development of the city when I moved here in 2007. Over the years it turned away from the content I loved. I'm excited for The Jaxon and look forward to continuing the conversation focused on our past and future. Thank you guys for your commitment to improving this city.

Ditto.

I moved to Jacksonville in 2006 for a job, and within six months, I hated the city so much that I was seriously considering moving right back across I-10 to Tallahassee, or maybe up to Atlanta. Jacksonville just felt so lifeless and homogenized back then, especially coming from a 24/7 college town.

Later that year when killing time at work, I stumbled upon MetJax, and over the next couple of years, it totally changed my perspective on Jacksonville. Both historically, and in terms of our city's untapped potential.

It was incredibly inspiring to see the fine folks behind this site proposing well-thought out, feasible solutions to Jacksonville's problems, rather than just bitching about them like everyone else on the internet (including the mainstream media, post Super Bowl XXXIX).

Plus, there was just something so contagious about seeing a community united around their love for the city and their collective desire to effect positive change.

Can honestly say that if not for this site, I would have left Jacksonville in 2008 and never looked back.

Instead, I stuck around, continued to fall in love with the city and its history, gave up two years of sleepless nights and weekends working on a book about Jacksonville, and recently took a job in the heart of downtown (ironically, in the same building where Stephen Dare's Boomtown used to be) in part to be able to walk the streets and witness the progress with my own eyes every day.

Personally, it's crazy to think of how different my life might look had I not been Googling for information about Peyton's Big Idea or the Club Paris opening or whatever it was that day.

Appreciate all that you guys have done for this city.

And I'm excited for the change - I think you've outgrown these digs long ago.

As Shad Khan loves to say, if you ain't moving forward, you're falling behind.