Author Topic: Interstate 95/10 Signage  (Read 8806 times)

BossmanOdum10

Interstate 95/10 Signage
« on: July 04, 2018, 12:41:21 AM »
Hey all, I have wondered for YEARS why every interstate 95/10 signage says "Jacksonville" instead of "Downtown" or "Downtown Jacksonville" or even "City Center" You are ALREADY in Jacksonville when you saw the "entering Duval County/Jacksonville City Limits" sign 5 miles ago lol

What are you guys thoughts on the improper signage up around town?

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Interstate 95/10 Signage
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:46:12 AM »
Or how about the fact that you DRIVE on a PARKWAY and PARK on a DRIVEWAY? WTF?!?!?!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
I feel like we have bigger fish to try than trying to get FDOT to redo every street sign to mark where Downtown Jax is.

Also, I'm like 80% sure that the sign for the new exit by the Overland Bridge says Downtown on it.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 11:27:13 PM »
Hey all, I have wondered for YEARS why every interstate 95/10 signage says "Jacksonville" instead of "Downtown" or "Downtown Jacksonville" or even "City Center" You are ALREADY in Jacksonville when you saw the "entering Duval County/Jacksonville City Limits" sign 5 miles ago lol

What are you guys thoughts on the improper signage up around town?

A bigger issue with FDOT signage on our interstates is that there are almost no signs for attractions or landmarks in the urban core (or anywhere else for that matter unless you are satisfied with just colleges (including for profits), malls (how!?), NAS, the airport and the stadium (complete with corporate sponsor name on it to get more $$$ for the Jags?) getting recognition.  In a rarity for here, I think maybe the Zoo also has a sign).  Even the signs that are up seem to be at the exits on a last minute basis, not promoted on mileage signs or well in advance.

Virtually no signs for historic districts or sites, parks, attractions (e.g. Riverwalk?), museums, farmers market, landmarks (they used to show the name of a river at bridge crossings but I don't recall seeing that anymore so does our biggest landmark, the St. Johns River, even get a mention or is it just a blob of water to tourists?), theaters, entertainment districts (do we really have one?), major government buildings like City Hall  or the Courthouse, etc.  The Beaches (generically - not individually) and Orange Park get a nod but it appears mainly because they are incorporated towns.  FYI, Orlando took it up a notch with a changeable billboard on I-4 (at least before they started rebuilding it) that promoted events or attractions du jour.  You can tell Orlando knows how to engage tourists :).

To add, when you travel I-95 from south of Daytona, many mileage signs point the way to Daytona, not Jax, while going south, they point the way to Miami.  Georgia actually gives Jax more recognition on I-95 than FDOT in my opinion.  Also, look at the signs on I-295 that promote Daytona, Lake City (really?! - over highlighting our direct link to the state capitol?) and Savannah without indicating Downtown as a destination of interest.

I put most of the blame on our civic leaders as it is clear they are asleep at the wheel and are not pressuring FDOT for more recognition of the area.  A missed opportunity at low cost given the millions of visitors reached for just the cost of a few signs.  Just another example of our fine City's lack of vision, coherent planning and execution.

Keep in mind, it took years just to get the names of our bridges on FDOT signs so this is a long simmering issue here.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:41:26 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
Speaking of signage for attractions, I noticed on the Overland Bridge project they added a sign for the......Landing!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:37:48 PM »
Speaking of signage for attractions, I noticed on the Overland Bridge project they added a sign for the......Landing!

I would put that in the "mall" category.  Funny, too, as Sleiman probably lobbied for that himself as you know the City wasn't going to ask :).

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
The Springfield Historic District does appear on an exit sign for, I believe, 8th Street.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
Like any highway agency, there are rules.  The relevant rules to the questions here relate to Control Cities (why "Jacksonville" appears as a destination within the city/county limits) and Supplemental Signs.  The controlling rules come from the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), that provides national standards for signs and pavement markings; with Chapter 2E Expressway Guide Signs being relevant - https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009r1r2/part2e.pdf
Two Florida-specific documents include a PowerPoint explaining Control Cities http://www.fdot.gov/traffic/pdf/control_city_pres_web.pdf - basically, they are to be places where interstates come together (Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Lake City), or the ends of Interstates (Miami).  I believe Tallahassee is on the signs after you pass I-75 in Lake City.
And, rules for Supplemental Signs - http://flrules.elaws.us/fac/14-51  This Rule includes guidance for what can, and cannot, appear on freeway and exit signs.  There are minimum activity levels, and maximum distances from the exit.

For FDOT to consider signs for places like the Historic Districts, they have to be on the National Register, on the official FDOT Map, and the City must provide signs between the exit and the Historic District (among other things).  And, as pointed out, the City must request the signs.  Shopping malls are based on minimum square feet, and activity - not sure how the Landing made the cut.
I don't know why the names of the rivers are not signed on the Interstates - the rules allow it.  Although, according to Google Street View, there are Trout River signs on I-95, but no St. Johns River signs on I-295, either at Dames Point or Buckman.

Ron Tittle is the Public Information Officer for the Jacksonville FDOT office - 360-5647

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »
One thing I don’t seem to understand is the fact that bridge names seem to be unimportant to FDOT. I actually wrote FDOT about the overland bridge signage, which I think is poor:

1 - There are no signs indicating the new Northbound Exit (348) is for the Main St. and Acosta Bridges (only after you take the exit). Are there any plans to add signs for that? My feeling is it's a little unclear now as the primary things you see on the signs are Philips Highway and Atlantic Blvd (neither of which are on the Northbank).

2 - Going southbound, the exit sign for Philips Highway is unclear as you can go North on Philips Highway/Kings Avenue (not sure the exact point that Philips ends and Kings begins). I realize that it's technically correct as US 1 jogs off of Philips highway so you can't actually go North on US 1 from the exit, but shouldn't there be signs at least indicating that you can get to Atlantic Blvd West from that off ramp? One of the biggest positives from the reconstruction is that you can now get to San Marco from both the north and south exit, which wasn't really possible before.

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 04:09:09 PM »
Or how about the fact that you DRIVE on a PARKWAY and PARK on a DRIVEWAY? WTF?!?!?!

Do you really want to know the answer?
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
For sure Jax could a lot more signs like this.  We actually don't have a lot of attractions so we will have to "fake it 'til we make it".

Items that could be called out:

The Landing
5-Points
Cummer
Museum of Contemporary Art
Museum of Southern History
Florida Theater
Convention Center
Area beaches on the East Beltway
Zoo
TIAA Field
Veterans Arena
Baseball Grounds

Just for fun a few years ago I did a complete downtown way finding system.  Would be nice to see that done as well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:24:41 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »

Do you really want to know the answer?

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

jaxjags

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
Charlotte has wayfarer signs by area on the 77. The equivalent here could be Northbank, Southbank, Sports Complex. Each sign would list the attractions and the appropriate exit to take.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »
The zoo appears on the exit signs for Heckscher Drive on 95, as does Kingsley Plantation and the Timucuan Preserve.

Those Charlotte signs jaxjags noted are excellent.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Charles Hunter

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 05:17:11 PM »
For sure Jax could a lot more signs like this.  We actually don't have a lot of attractions so we will have to "fake it 'til we make it".

Items that could be called out:

The Landing - although someone said it has signs on the new Overland Bridge, it isn't big enough (1 million sq.ft.)
5-Points - not a regional mall, not a historic district
Cummer -
Museum of Contemporary Art
Museum of Southern History
- do any of these museums have more than 100,000 visitors a year?

Florida Theater
Convention Center
- more than 200,000 visitors/year; also, some of the exit signs on I-95 include the Convention Center
Area beaches on the East Beltway - JTB exits include, but not Atlantic or Beach Blvds. - good question
Zoo - on some exit signs on I-95 and I-295, part of the reason the City changed western Heckscher Drive to Zoo Parkway
TIAA Field - I think it is on some I-95 exits
Veterans Arena
Baseball Grounds
- part of the more generic Sports Complex, a problem, because listing all 3 would be too many lines on the Interstate signs

Just for fun a few years ago I did a complete downtown way finding system.  Would be nice to see that done as well. - was that the one with different colors for different parts of downtown/southbank?  I saw, and liked, that - shame COJ couldn't get the money together

But, the City would have to request the signs on the Interstate exits, then install "trailblazer" signs to guide traffic from the exit to the destination.