Author Topic: Downtown Southbank apartment project breaks ground  (Read 6071 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Downtown Southbank apartment project breaks ground
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »
I think there's a lot that you can do there. Now, I do think that this should be a down the road thing. Even if let's say money for this fell out of the sky tomorrow earmarked for this any only this, I think the overall impact to downtown as a whole would be lacking. In a perfect world, I'd concentrate on the northbank between Jefferson, Liberty, State, and the river. Now, we live in an imperfect world - Shad Khan wants to do something, the existing convention center is impossible to ignore, and Brooklyn has (some) momentum so you have to view all of this.

My point is - density and clustering is your friend. This is why projects like VyStar's move, the Barnett/Laura Trio, Hotel Indigo, etc. are so important for downtown.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
I always thought something akin to "Underground Atlanta" could be cool along/beneath Main Street between MOSH and Treat Oak. With San Marco Blvd. to the West and Flagler Ave. to the East, there's really no need to have ground-level traffic on Main Street. Converting that to a pedestrian-only segment with ground-floor retail in the adjacent garages and under the overpass could make for a really unique space.

I think it'd be nice to have something similar to activate the median under the Skyway track on Hogan.  Even if it's just outdoor dining seating.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Captain Zissou

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
2 $15M permits issued for the project. One for the building, one for the parking garage.  Adding structured parking significantly increases the budget to project, by probably 70%+ in this case. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »
2 $15M permits issued for the project. One for the building, one for the parking garage.  Adding structured parking significantly increases the budget to project, by probably 70%+ in this case. 

They're also doing retention under the garage. Not sure if that factors into the cost or not.

Given that it's only 4 stories, I'm assuming wood frame construction is the plan (as opposed to concrete).

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »

Wait, where did you hear it was 2 permits for $15M each? Jax Daily Record seems to be reporting $15M total.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
^ I was misread the FB post.  Looks like just $15M total

Captain Zissou

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
I like the SoBa designation.  That area is pretty bland between the hospital mega-complex, all the parking, and the hotels that don't address the street.  Maybe the new identity will help spark some flavor and cultural growth in the North San Marco/ South Bank area.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/catalyst-brands-home-street-apartments-project-as-soba

acme54321

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
All I can think about now is The Lofts at SoDoSoPa  ;D

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 12:45:31 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/miXMWJyOdgw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/miXMWJyOdgw</a>

Captain Zissou

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »

The District did that for me.  My company is building a project in Seattle that has an old house still on the property that refused to sell to the prior owners and now has cultural significance.  It looks just like the house from Up, but also the Lofts at Historic Kenny's House.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »

I wonder how this will do in competition with the City Part of Town.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

acme54321

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
They're moving right along with this one.  Currently digging out the underground storm water retention.

acme54321

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 09:41:39 AM »
This thing's gone vertical this week.  Crane is on site erecting the parking deck.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
Just in looking at the aerial shot of the new apartment project, it's amazing to note how the "expressway" to the Main Street Bridge, and the other "expressway" to the Acosta Bridge, really do slice up Downtown's southbank so that it loses its continguous walkability.  It would be nice if the Southbank's Main Street leading up to perhaps a pedestrian Main Street Bridge actually felt like a walkable Main Street lined with storefronts and density.

I live and walk in the neighborhood.   Those expressway's make the neighborhood more walkable, not less.   Don't conflate you're desire for some Norman Rockewell, Leave it to Beaver fantasy as consituting "not walkable". 

I walk all over the place every day.  It's the most walkable neighborhood in the city and one of the best I've lived in over the years.