Author Topic: Mathers Social coming Downtown  (Read 1683 times)

jagsonville

Mathers Social coming Downtown
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/photo-gallery/mathers-social-gathering-plans-nightclub-downtown-on-east-forsyth-street

A very swanky upstairs speakeasy concept is coming. I feel this will lead to a true entertainment district downtown as team market group has opened up half the bars and clubs in Orlando. If business is good they will open up more. Like it or not this could be huge for downtown, hopefully it doesn’t canabalize dos gatos and the Volstead too much.

remc86007

Re: Mathers Social coming Downtown
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 07:25:40 PM »
Great! Now there might be room to stand in Dos Gatos and the Volstead on the weekends.

It does look really cool. It's also one block from my office:)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »
“We chose Jacksonville because of all the cool buildings and the need in Jacksonville for some nightlife and fun,”
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

RatTownRyan

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
“It probably shows to me that people outside of our Jacksonville environment understand the potential of Downtown Jacksonville where some in the city don’t get it,” Langton said.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
Some pretty powerful quotes in that article lol

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
I can't find any negative here with this news....though I'm sure someone will!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
I do worry about parking as downtown becomes more successful.  I don't worry about the quantity of parking, but the user experience and the complexity that the city lots present.  If everything was uniform and you knew where to park and what to pay, that would be great.  That ain't Jacksonville though.  We need something like Passport Parking to help clarify the options to the end user.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
I do worry about parking as downtown becomes more successful.  I don't worry about the quantity of parking, but the user experience and the complexity that the city lots present.  If everything was uniform and you knew where to park and what to pay, that would be great.  That ain't Jacksonville though.  We need something like Passport Parking to help clarify the options to the end user.

I do think that something like that would work...or at a minimum some sort of unified code that if you want to operate a parking lot then you must follow these rules (i.e. accept credit cards, be open until a certain time, etc.)

NYC did something very similar with the cabbies a while back and from a user's perspective it's great. NY is one of the few cities I'll still do the Cab over Uber.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »

Or someone will find some project in [insert city name] and mention how it blows this one out of the water along w/ any other redevelopment we have going on downtown

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »

Paging Kerry....

KenFSU

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 12:30:45 PM »
Awesome news.

Looking forward to hearing what develops with the first floor.

downtownbrown

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 09:17:12 AM »
great example of organic growth vs. master planned development.  The former happens. The latter doesn't. This keeps up we'll have a mini Buckhead sprout up around the Florida Theater.  Super mini.

BTW, back in the 70s when people were busy saving the Fox Theatre, no one worried about parking.