Author Topic: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa  (Read 21689 times)

MusicMan

Re: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
I spent the last few days in So Fla. Caught a game at the gorgeous Marlins stadium, had a nice visit to my old stomping grounds, Univ of Miami, and had the chance to ride Brightline from Ft Lauderdale up to WPB and back. It was awesome.  Reminds me of Europe. The trains are 100% American made, and quiet and comfortable. The traffic down there can be maddening and if there is any type of accident then all plans are off. Brightline really enhances quality of life for the folks. You can easily UBER, LYFT,  or walk or rent a bike if you like right at the station. These guys are definitely going to make it work, and they will be looking at routes all over the country.  Also WPB has become a great walkable downtown. Makes Jax look so stale. The new Restoration Hardware Showroom was something else, and a great little restaurant on the top floor was stunning. 

I've been gone from So Fla for 12 years. This trip back was the first time i thought, 'Damn I could live here again.'

Kiva

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 08:40:48 PM »
But if Brightline expands to Jacksonville we will be closer to Miami and Orlando by train than by plane (once you include check in time).

MusicMan

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
Jacksonville is pretty far down on the cities to be connected to, as I understand it. WPB to Orlando and Orlando to Tampa will come first.

But the point you are making is correct. Brightline is analyzing routes where it is "too long to drive and too short to fly."  Dallas to Houston, Atlanta to Charlotte, these types of routes, with large metro areas already doing lots of commuter business.  There were several others that I heard about.  Brightline offers high speed internet on board as well, so you can definitely work while traveling.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
Jax isn't far down the list. The original plan is Miami to Orlando, which is under construction now. Tampa and Jax have always been mentioned as the next phases. The far down the list stuff is the out-of-state concepts. The time is now for Jax to be getting its transportation house in order.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
Jacksonville is pretty far down on the cities to be connected to, as I understand it. WPB to Orlando and Orlando to Tampa will come first.

But the point you are making is correct. Brightline is analyzing routes where it is "too long to drive and too short to fly."  Dallas to Houston, Atlanta to Charlotte, these types of routes, with large metro areas already doing lots of commuter business.  There were several others that I heard about.  Brightline offers high speed internet on board as well, so you can definitely work while traveling.

MM you read this site don't ya?  ;D lol. Jax and Tampa are more or less evenly discussed as the next expansion (if it happens).
As for out-of-state, perhaps it could come to pass but hard to see how they pull it off without owning substantial real estate and ROW already. And Dallas-Houston already has two companies bidding for that route

MusicMan

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
Here is what the Top Dog has said.  Max have you ridden it?  It sure makes going up to WPB from Miami a hell of a lot easier than before.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/05/25/fortress-wes-edens-on-brightline-rail-project.html

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/01/12/brightline-private-rail-opening-to-the-public.html

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 06:36:41 PM »
Here is what the Top Dog has said.  Max have you ridden it?  It sure makes going up to WPB from Miami a hell of a lot easier than before.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/05/25/fortress-wes-edens-on-brightline-rail-project.html

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/01/12/brightline-private-rail-opening-to-the-public.html

They created the LLCs for both Tampa and Jax expansion and have had preliminary discussions with the various entities. As for the out-of-state stuff, I wasn't saying they haven't expressed interest, as it has been mentioned on a few occasions already. I was simply expressing my doubt as I believe it would be unlikely. In the videos you shared, Wes seems to emphasize how it was almost a perfect storm for them here in FL.

No sadly I have not been on it. I was hoping to do so for opening weekend but the weekend they chose I was out of town for a wedding. Since then it's been hectic and we had our second child, so it's hard to take the time out for a leisurely trip up to WPB with two boys in tow. Definitely hope to at some point though! I have used Metrorail and trirail about a dozen times now though, for more "essential" travel.

Kiva

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 06:51:36 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that the expansion to Tampa was almost a sure thing. Is that true?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
It's just as sure as an extension to Jax is. They've said they plan to do both and appear to be doing what they've been stating the last few years.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
The advantage Jax has is A) The rail already exist, B) They have usage rights on that track already, and C) A historic station already exists.

On the downside Jax doesn't have a substantial population compared to other Florida cities, there isn't much reason for visitors to come here and finally, with no rail connection between JIA and downtown we don't make a good passenger feeder.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 06:43:10 PM »
Intercity rail doesn't work the same way airports do. Daytona and St. Augustine, two major tourist destinations would be on a segment to Jax. Those are benefits. Then who says a line has to terminate in Jax? What about an Atlanta to Miami route? In that case, Jax simply becomes a stop on the way. In other words, no need to downplay the validity of a stop in Jax. This is intercity rail we're talking about. Not a metro style subway or LRT.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:50 PM »
The advantage Jax has is A) The rail already exist, B) They have usage rights on that track already, and C) A historic station already exists.

On the downside Jax doesn't have a substantial population compared to other Florida cities, there isn't much reason for visitors to come here and finally, with no rail connection between JIA and downtown we don't make a good passenger feeder.

There are plenty of reasons to come to Jacksonville. A lot of them just aren’t downtown unfortunately.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 12:57:35 AM »
Daytona and St Augustine would definitely be two good stops that would bring visitors from the South but I don't see Jax being a destination.  No one from points south are coming here for theme parks, beaches, shopping, or museums and I doubt anyone from Daytona is going to take a train to Jax only to have to Uber it all over once they are here.  I'm not sure what kind of business travel Jax would generate unless we got a lot more companies from JTB/Baymeadows/Avenues to relocate downtown.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 06:34:39 AM »
Jax has 1.5 million people in the MSA. We're not talking about Macon, GA here. We don't have to make a case for or against Jax. Brightline has already stated on multiple occasions that the city on its radar.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:36:49 AM by thelakelander »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 07:57:53 AM »
Daytona and St Augustine would definitely be two good stops that would bring visitors from the South but I don't see Jax being a destination.  No one from points south are coming here for theme parks, beaches, shopping, or museums and I doubt anyone from Daytona is going to take a train to Jax only to have to Uber it all over once they are here.  I'm not sure what kind of business travel Jax would generate unless we got a lot more companies from JTB/Baymeadows/Avenues to relocate downtown.

Why would someone not uber? Plus, I’d take it from Jacksonville to Lakeland if it were an option (not sure if a Lakeland stop is planned) versus fighting I-4 through Orlando or going 25 miles around Orlando on 417.

The reverse is true-while I wish we had more people downtown, people would uber from downtown. How fundamentally different is it than an Uber from JIA? Plus, we have about 40k people working between the northbank, southbank, and Brooklyn.

Though, I’m not sure you “want” to get it. It’s much easier to be negative I guess.