Author Topic: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa  (Read 21591 times)

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
Re: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »
More news:

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/kickstarting-red-spike-era-virgin-trains-usa

I'm going down to Miami this weekend to see the Miami station. Maybe meet Max for coffee?

The station is very nice, I haven’t seen the Virgin changes yet and I’m sure it will have a totally different feel when they open up the apartments above the station.
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

Peter Griffin

« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »
^Mandatory railroad education in middle school? I love it!
Wouldn't this class just take one lesson? Like one safety seminar?

"Hey kids, trains cannot stop like cars. It can take miles for a train to make an emergency stop. Stay off the tracks and do not cross when crossing signals are flashing, you will die a gruesome death."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
More news:

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/kickstarting-red-spike-era-virgin-trains-usa

I'm going down to Miami this weekend to see the Miami station. Maybe meet Max for coffee?

You'll like it. It's very impressive. The Central Fare food hall recently opened inside of it.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/first-look-inside-massive-food-hall-now-open-at-virgin-trains-miamicentral/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2019, 09:30:39 AM »
Indeed Lake, it's the nicest train station in Florida by far as far as I can tell. The food options were plentiful. The station is so clean, customer service is tops. For people who regularly commute between WPB and Miami it's a no brainer, I was shocked at how bad the traffic was on
I 95 North bound in Dade county at 11 am....... 

They are trying to work out a stop in Boca Raton as well.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
More news:

Sorry MM I was/am in Asia til end of August. Glad you liked it! I've been to the station a few times but not since the food hall opened.

^Mandatory railroad education in middle school? I love it!
Wouldn't this class just take one lesson? Like one safety seminar?

"Hey kids, trains cannot stop like cars. It can take miles for a train to make an emergency stop. Stay off the tracks and do not cross when crossing signals are flashing, you will die a gruesome death."

I was thinking comprehensive railroad education. TOD, passenger miles, systems around the world, etc. Not just abstinence-only.

Traveller

« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »

I live down here in Palm Beach County now & hadn't heard about that one.  The potential Boca station I've read about recently would be a new Tri-Rail station on the CSX tracks, off Military Trail just south of Glades Road.  But that whole Midtown Boca area is in the middle of a big fight between the city and a large developer trying to bring residential to an exclusively commercial district.

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »

I live down here in Palm Beach County now & hadn't heard about that one.  The potential Boca station I've read about recently would be a new Tri-Rail station on the CSX tracks, off Military Trail just south of Glades Road.  But that whole Midtown Boca area is in the middle of a big fight between the city and a large developer trying to bring residential to an exclusively commercial district.

You’re absolutely right. There is zero plans for Brightline to put a station in Boca. Maybe the TriRail but def not on the FEC side. That being said there is plenty of room for one but it’s not in the greatest area of Boca. Just north of Yamato rd FEC owns a lot of right of way.
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

MusicMan

« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »
"There is zero plans for Brightline to put a station in Boca."

Not according to the actual people at Brightline/Virgin Trains.......

https:/www.bocamag.com/brightline-lays-out-proposal-for-boca-raton-station/

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/fl-op-com-brightline-virgin-train-station-boca-20190719-2kjxhcnl6zfmhdsa73tvp5fd2a-story.html

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »
So what exactly do you want the railroad to do?

Stop killing built by being more safe.   Speed kills.     Reduce the number of grade crossings and less people will get hurt.  This isn't rocket science.  It's a formula long practiced by railroads and proven to work.

But it doesn't even have to involve eliminating grade crossings.  For example, where a man was killed in Boyton Beach the crossing did have pedestrian gates.  Yes, that is true.  But a lot more can easily be done.   Having gates that covered  the road would've prevented the accident.   They have no plans in place to do this depite this being a high pedestrian traffic location.  THis will happen again.

They should also install the same sort of fencing we expect freeways to have.  They don't and then complain when they have trespassers.   

It's ridiculous to suggest that they can take an launch 100s of TONS of steel at 80MPH right up the middle of a city and not even have to be bothered to put up a fence on their property.  While the trespassers are legally in the wrong, that doesn't mean there are not reasonable things the railroad should do to reduce these problems.   

If they're going to operate at freeway speeds they should be built to freeway standards. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2019, 03:34:09 PM »
What was the maximum speed limit along the corridor prior to Brightline/Virgin and the 20th century cities being built around a 19th century line? I also wonder what is the responsibility of the communities that built up around a railroad corridor that predates them? At this point, I'm not sold the railroad should pay the costs of someone else's mistakes and poor land use decisions.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »

Your disregard for the importance of built environment in people's behaviors is disturbing.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2019, 07:50:09 PM »
That's fine. I'll still sleep like a baby tonight but yea, I do believe some of the things you think the railroad should fund for dummy proofing, should be funded by the public entity that has created said built environment through poor planning, zoning and accessibility.

MusicMan

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2019, 08:12:05 PM »
Darwin. Survival of the fittest. If you're killed at a RR Xrossing it's not the RR fault. Even smart dogs are alert to a train coming by....

Just gonna say suicide by stepping in front of a train is an actual thing.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »
^Yes, put up all the barriers and gates you want but none of it will keep someone out who wants to get around them.