Author Topic: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa  (Read 13594 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
Good news for Jax. Brightline's success and continued expansion is our best chance for fixed rail connectivity  locally.

https://www.moderncities.com/article/2018-jun-high-speed-rail-plans-from-orlando-to-tampa-underway
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:43:26 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Brightline ready to expand rail system to Tampa
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
Pretty cool. I wonder where the station in Tampa would be. I'm still worried that if they come to Jax, they'll skip the Prime Osborn for another station of their own somewhere less impactful.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »
^I hope not.

The JTA actually just invited a panel of experts from the Urban Land Institute to spend a week downtown in order to make recommendations for revitalizing our downtown.

Their number one recommendation was bringing a train station back downtown.

"Press whoever you have to press to get that to happen," he said, calling that step a "game changer."

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/06/25/national-experts-how-to-fix-downtown-jacksonville.html

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
I'm a lot more confident in Brightline to plan, invest and implement quality transit service and market rate development over JTA, COJ or any other local public agency. It should be obvious by now what their development strategy and track record is.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
I'm a lot more confident in Brightline to plan, invest and implement quality transit service and market rate development over JTA, COJ or any other local public agency. It should be obvious by now what their development strategy and track record is.

Yes - all new stations, including one at an airport. That's what worries me.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »
Look at the context. There were no old stations intact to reuse along the FEC in Miami, FTL and WPB. Using Orlando's station on the Sunrail line makes no sense either. Nevertheless, the Miami station is the exact location of the historic station that was razed decades ago.

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
Brightline isn't in the business of building train stations.  They are in the office/retail/residential business.  The train just connects their developments.  This strategy was pioneered in Japan byHanku Railway.  If something like Jacksonville Terminal was available they would for sure use it, but they are going to want development rights for all the surrounding land (and probably the convention center parking lot).  It wouldn't surprise me if Brightline was the one buying up Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:11:10 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

FlaBoy

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
Look at the context. There were no old stations intact to reuse along the FEC in Miami, FTL and WPB. Using Orlando's station on the Sunrail line makes no sense either. Nevertheless, the Miami station is the exact location of the historic station that was razed decades ago.

I think they would either want to reuse the Prime Osborne with the JTA Center there and potentially the return of Amtrack. The one thing that could put them in a different location could be difficulties with getting over the river with the CSX Bridge. Everything else lines up for the type of project they would want with the infrastructure already there to make it happen. They certainly aren't going to the airport and there isn't a great suburban location.

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »
CSX doesn't own the rail bridge over the river.  That is FEC.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:53:14 PM »
Brightline already has rights to run their service on the FEC into Jax. The FEC is that bridge and the track running past the Prime Osborn. CSX isn't a factor.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 02:13:02 PM »
I think it will be harder to get Amtrak back downtown vs. Brightline. As Kerry/lake pointed out, the bridge is FECs so using it for Brightline shouldn't be an issue.

Amtrak might be harder as it uses (at least today) the CSX lines. It's sort of an awkward turn to get the train over to the old train station and I believe the tracks have been reconstructed since the 1960s. It's certainly not impossible, but I can see Amtrak wanting COJ or someone else to pay for any track adjustments (which I think the city should).

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
The tracks are all still there.  On it's current alignment Amtrak would have to go a tiny bit out of the way to get to the Prime Osbourne and then backtrack to the westbound CSX tracks.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
I think it will be harder to get Amtrak back downtown vs. Brightline. As Kerry/lake pointed out, the bridge is FECs so using it for Brightline shouldn't be an issue.

Amtrak might be harder as it uses (at least today) the CSX lines. It's sort of an awkward turn to get the train over to the old train station and I believe the tracks have been reconstructed since the 1960s. It's certainly not impossible, but I can see Amtrak wanting COJ or someone else to pay for any track adjustments (which I think the city should).

I would be in favor of the City paying also and using funds from the Bed Tax to do it.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
The tracks are all still there.  On it's current alignment Amtrak would have to go a tiny bit out of the way to get to the Prime Osbourne and then backtrack to the westbound CSX tracks.
Not all the track. The old track from the terminal to head south down the CSX A line was pulled up years ago.

acme54321

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »
Not all the track. The old track from the terminal to head south down the CSX A line was pulled up years ago.

Yeah but they could just reverse past it and then head straight down.  Otherwise they'd have to turn the train around.