Author Topic: Butcher shop  (Read 3521 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
Butcher shop
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/san-marco-lands-an-old-time-butcher

San Marco gets a butcher shop. We are Pescatarian at home( I still go carnivore at restaurants)so our household will not be a patron but it is nice to see something different in the neighborhood.

I have mixed feelings on how it will do between Fresh Market and Publix(maybe!) but with people waking up to where there food is coming from, hopefully they will do great.

Captain Zissou

Re: Butcher shop
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:14:56 AM »
I'll check this place out, but I was hoping it would have dine in options like Pine Grove.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:49 AM »
Hopefully they will have aged cuts...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:19:45 AM »
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/san-marco-lands-an-old-time-butcher

San Marco gets a butcher shop. We are Pescatarian at home( I still go carnivore at restaurants)so our household will not be a patron but it is nice to see something different in the neighborhood.

I have mixed feelings on how it will do between Fresh Market and Publix(maybe!) but with people waking up to where there food is coming from, hopefully they will do great.

I think if they have quality, and potentially a lower price point than Fresh Market (who has good stuff but can be proud of it), they will do really well. I've never been enthralled with Publix's Meat selection (particularly Beef), so they shouldn't be hard to beat quality-wise.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »
For Thanksgiving we make an exception to our pescatarian at home eating and we had a great experience getting our turkey at Clines. I didn’t realize they have some seafood as well so we will be more frequent customers going forward. Great place and great people!

sandyshoes

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
Just general fyi, not sure if halaal bothers you but if it does you need to deep-dive check wherever you get your meat - even Freshfields Farm.  Cline's told me, upon my inquiry, that their lamb is halaal.  That leaves me wondering about all their meat and poultry.  Halaal is not a humane slaughter by any means...I lean towards Kosher.  It's a few dollars more but the animal didn't suffer and I will have a somewhat cleaner conscience.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 05:06:04 AM »
I hate to break it to you, but kosher slaughter and halal slaughter are basically the same. The animal is not stunned in either. They are equally barbaric (or not, depending on your views on killing animals).
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sandyshoes

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:23:36 AM »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 08:54:23 AM »
https://www.halaltransactions.org/halal-and-kosher

So yeah, they are basically the same. And if you believe what the practitioners say (which I don't), they are supposedly more humane than the standard practice for non-halal and non-kosher slaughter. Maybe that's the case in the USA (I've no idea) but in the EU, animals are required to be stunned beforehand.

The issue of stunning the animal first isn't necessarily a problem for halal slaughter - I think the majority of animals slaughtered by halal methods in the UK are stunned first, but there are many traditionalists who oppose stunning. Apparently you are not allowed to stun an animal prior to slaughter and still call it kosher, so Kosher can be even less humane.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
I don't know what was done to my steaks there while they were alive, but they were delicious when I cooked them up.  My gf said "top 5 steak I've ever had".  I have been meaning to go back more often, but life gets in the way of a delicious steak sometimes.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
I don't know what was done to my steaks there while they were alive, but they were delicious when I cooked them up.  My gf said "top 5 steak I've ever had".  I have been meaning to go back more often, but life gets in the way of a delicious steak sometimes.

It's so good. I don't really know the benefits of halal or kosher butchery, but I like that Milouda and Joe can tell you where the meat is coming from and guarantee that it's high quality for the price. You can't count on that even in the fancy grocery stores. Cline's also (usually) has Bacon's lettuce, the best lettuce in the metro area, so there's that.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 10:50:11 PM »
Just imagine if there was pastoral acreage nearby and within community committed to beef/ farm production.

At least we can hope for Publix, Fresh Market competition, which is pretty amazing if you think about it, or even if you don’t.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:02:04 PM by Florida Power And Light »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »
Just imagine if there was pastoral acreage nearby and within community committed to beef/ farm production.

Sounds like a plan for the Landing!