Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 49863 times)

jagsonville

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #405 on: December 15, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »
In fact, the city sent a letter to Scott’s office in May requesting that the state replace one of two census tracts located on the Westside that had been identified as an opportunity zones with one that included the sports entertainment district because it “includes the City’s stadium and is a linchpin to supporting Mayor Curry’s downtown redevelopment efforts.” The city wanted to replace the other Westside census tract with one that covers part of the St. Nicholas neighborhood as well as I-95 and Phillips Highway.

Perfect example of 'reverse Robin Hood' effect from federal tax legislation. Ostensibly done to help impoverished areas to attract new investment, certain tracts are selected to help the already wealthy.  This program has tremendous potential to reward the investor more than the residents of the selected area IMO. Plus it has much potential to accelerate or ignite gentrification.
[/quote

Without these kind of programs investments in these sort of areas are less likely to happen. You expect someone to take on tons of risk and be a pioneer without any government assistance? Ok. ::) At the end day you cant have it all, you can’t have nice downtowns without displacing residents, gentrification, and government assistance. Let’s not act like residents displaced that are smart and holdout a bit don’t get nice paydays if they do get bought out even if that involves paying higher taxes for a bit.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #406 on: December 15, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »
There is a balance that can be achieved.....if we care about revitalization without displacement. For the most part, we don't...which is why the negative results are generally the same.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #407 on: December 15, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
In fact, the city sent a letter to Scott’s office in May requesting that the state replace one of two census tracts located on the Westside that had been identified as an opportunity zones with one that included the sports entertainment district because it “includes the City’s stadium and is a linchpin to supporting Mayor Curry’s downtown redevelopment efforts.” The city wanted to replace the other Westside census tract with one that covers part of the St. Nicholas neighborhood as well as I-95 and Phillips Highway.

Perfect example of 'reverse Robin Hood' effect from federal tax legislation. Ostensibly done to help impoverished areas to attract new investment, certain tracts are selected to help the already wealthy.  This program has tremendous potential to reward the investor more than the residents of the selected area IMO. Plus it has much potential to accelerate or ignite gentrification.

Without these kind of programs investments in these sort of areas are less likely to happen. You expect someone to take on tons of risk and be a pioneer without any government assistance? Ok. ::) At the end day you cant have it all, you can’t have nice downtowns without displacing residents, gentrification, and government assistance. Let’s not act like residents displaced that are smart and holdout a bit don’t get nice paydays if they do get bought out even if that involves paying higher taxes for a bit.

I'm all for investment programs, and fully appreciate they are necessary. However to get optimal results for the least loss of revenue, without bad unintended consequences, it takes a lot of thought and the incentives/disincentives have to be looked at carefully.

Property tax abatement is a frequently used benefit that makes a lot of sense. It is attached to the property in the affected area and available to the existing property owner. Incentives if properly structured can be a good option.

As far as income tax incentives, they should first be targeted to those that already live in these areas as opposed to prompting outside investors to buy in, push out and reap the benefits from the turn-around. The next level of benefits could be to allow the original residents to 'sell credits' in a system similar to Historic tax credits. I'm sure their are other ideas that could work. This Opportunity Zone program just sounds like another means to lower capital gains taxes when the people living in these zones rarely pay such taxes  to begin with.               

Actually, merely adding BACK the equivalent population that left during the suburbanization/white flight period would be sufficient to bring back DT JAX, even if not one current resident ever left. 

Gentrification does give a nice payday to the hold outs, and that is a good thing, but many more are pushed further and further away from their jobs in cities that have few transit options to begin with.       

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

minder

« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »
Any ideas on when this year's State of the Franchise will be?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #409 on: March 28, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
Another even newer rendering of possible development on Lot J, Metro Park, and The Shipyards.  Featuring the JEA HQ.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #410 on: March 28, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
Where is this newer rendering of possible development on Lot J, Metro park, and the Shityards? Featuring...….the JEA HEADQUARTERS!!!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Charles Hunter

« Reply #411 on: March 28, 2019, 09:48:41 PM »
I was sarcastically responding to minder's question on what to expect at this year's State of the Jags whoop-dee-doo.

copperfiend

« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
All kidding aside, it would not surprise me if the state of the franchise this year has a focus on future stadium upgrades. The team started laying the groundwork for that a few months ago.

minder

« Reply #413 on: March 30, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »
Just wondering, last year's was around this time, so I'm guessing the next one will be due. Guess all will depend on this JEA announcement.

minder

« Reply #414 on: April 17, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »
This is tomorrow. Can't imagine it'll provide anything more than bluster about the developments and nothing certain. Lamping says they "remain committed" to Lot J despite not landing JEA. Seems to me like they had no Plan B and will have to somehow convince a big company based in the suburbs to move based on his comments in the DR. Good luck with that.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #415 on: April 17, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
Lot J is more designated for entertainment development. I don't see how JEA is/was a vital part of this. It was just a location among others they could have chosen from.

Kerry

« Reply #416 on: April 17, 2019, 03:28:57 PM »
This is tomorrow. Can't imagine it'll provide anything more than bluster about the developments and nothing certain. Lamping says they "remain committed" to Lot J despite not landing JEA. Seems to me like they had no Plan B and will have to somehow convince a big company based in the suburbs to move based on his comments in the DR. Good luck with that.

Correct - JEA was the ONLY plan for Lot J.  Khan didn't want the City to sell JEA because he was positive the fix was in and didn't want anyone messing it up, but then he lost anyhow.  There is no Plan B.

Let's get real - the only reason for Lot J is to funnel city dollars into the Jags organization.  If this was an actual profitable endeavour they would have already broken ground.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #417 on: April 17, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
Lot J is more designated for entertainment development. I don't see how JEA is/was a vital part of this. It was just a location among others they could have chosen from.

The Jags flat out said they need 2,000 employees on-site or nothing happens.  Of course, that is a paraphrase but that was the jist of Lamping's comments last week.
Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #418 on: April 17, 2019, 03:41:31 PM »
I'm not even convinced that there is any intention to build any of the 'entertainment' component.  If there was how come after nearly 2 years not a single shovel been stuck in the ground?  Why were they waiting on the JEA decision before building anything?  Back in October Lamping said they were close to inking a deal with the City.  What happened to that deal?
Third Place

minder

« Reply #419 on: April 17, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
Lamping said the Power & Light District, a Cordish project in Kansas City, Missouri, attracted the headquarters for H&R Block. H&R Block Center brought 1,600 employees from a half-dozen locations into a 17-story high-rise tower and a smaller structure.

The district comprises housing, offices and entertainment.

Those almost 2,000 jobs, Lamping said, created opportunities. “Once you get that, a lot of things can follow.”

My question is then, who brings circa 2k employees from the suburbs or from another city or country or whatever?