Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 71062 times)

KenFSU

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2018, 12:19:21 PM »
If I were to bet, I'd wager that JEA will be part of the deal.  Will the City be able to claim moving JEA there as part of the City's "contribution"?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the city has any say in where JEA relocates.

To the best of my knowledge, it's strictly up to JEA's board of directors.

The directors are appointed by either the Mayor or the Mayor and the Governor. 

By the Mayor, from the JEA website: "Our governing body is made up of a seven-member volunteer Board of Directors appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council."

I understand that the JEA Board will make the decisions on a new HQ location, but they are part of the City, and could factor into a package deal.  Perhaps, a JEA move to Lot J reduces the required cash from the City to the Jags / Iguana by some amount.  The perceived value of having several hundred daily "butts in seats" to feed any restaurants that are built there.

Don't get me wrong, politics will certainly (and are already) play their part. To CZ's point above, even though Kelly Flanagan is technically "recusing" herself from the discussions, that doesn't recuse her influence and the strong self-interest she has toward Lot J.

My point was, the city alone doesn't have the power to move JEA to Lot J.

The strongest way the city could exercise their influence though would be when JEA RFPs their new headquarters. If Iguana/Cordish come back with a proposal that's exceptionally favorable to JEA, with the understanding that the city will help subsidize the office element through their economic development agreement with Iguana, then the city really would be actively bankrolling JEA's departure from downtown.

I'm not sure we'd offer similar subsidies directly with the much-better Atkins plan.

KenFSU

« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2018, 02:13:33 PM »
Not worth it's own thread, but just heard that the giant new LED billboard beside Daily's Place should be started and up within the next 2-3 weeks.

KenFSU

« Reply #332 on: September 03, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
50,000 at the Lynyrd Skynyrd show last night.

Despite the rain, place was packed out.

Great joint effort by the Jags and the city.

Lots of great pics and video floating around on social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1foKYa9xTE

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #333 on: September 04, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
50,000 at the Lynyrd Skynyrd show last night.

Despite the rain, place was packed out.

Great joint effort by the Jags and the city.

Lots of great pics and video floating around on social media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1foKYa9xTE

Long day... Great show... Kid Rock and Jason Aldean were impressive... along with Skynrd...  8)  Jags and the city should do more of these...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
My wife, some friends, and I attended the Judas Priest / Deep Purple concert at Daily's Place last night.  My ears should stop ringing sometime next week - it was loud.  I've never been in Lot J during a concert, but how much sound escapes the venue?  If there is any significant noise getting to Lot J, putting residential there could have an effect on future concerts.  Specifically, early curfews, like at St. Augustine Amphitheater.  Has anyone been in Lot J during a concert?

Lostwave

« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
I also was at that show.  I enjoyed deep purple way more than I thought I would. 

You can hear concerts perfectly well in Lot J.  Its loud.  BUT, inside a modern well insulated building it shouldn't be too bad.  Inside a wood frame house, it would be terrible.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #336 on: September 13, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
My wife, some friends, and I attended the Judas Priest / Deep Purple concert at Daily's Place last night.  My ears should stop ringing sometime next week - it was loud.  I've never been in Lot J during a concert, but how much sound escapes the venue?  If there is any significant noise getting to Lot J, putting residential there could have an effect on future concerts.  Specifically, early curfews, like at St. Augustine Amphitheater.  Has anyone been in Lot J during a concert?

I've listened to an entire concert while tailgating at Lot J. The music is loud and clear as day. In fact, depending on where your seats are inside Dailys Place... the sound in the parking lot is sometimes better.

vicupstate

« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
I also was at that show.  I enjoyed deep purple way more than I thought I would. 

You can hear concerts perfectly well in Lot J.  Its loud.  BUT, inside a modern well insulated building it shouldn't be too bad.  Inside a wood frame house, it would be terrible.

Most apartment complexes I see built these days are absolutely wood frame.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Lostwave

« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »

Most apartment complexes I see built these days are absolutely wood frame.

Right, but the lot J proposal is all highrise.  Def not going to be sticks.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #339 on: September 14, 2018, 12:41:49 PM »
Except those renderings are conceptual. Those highrises aren't real projects. Just drawings to impress people, that happen to change every year.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #340 on: September 14, 2018, 05:21:36 PM »
To impress people? I would think the renderings are just to give people an idea what the project would like like. It’s those with their personal agendas that try and change that!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #341 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
The market determines what things will ultimately be. Slick renderings before digging into the details are great for gaining political and public support. However, they can lead to big disappointment when what's built does not compare to what is prematurely sold.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #342 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:20 PM »
The market determines what things will ultimately be. Slick renderings before digging into the details are great for gaining political and public support. However, they can lead to big disappointment when what's built does not compare to what is prematurely sold.

cough coughDaily's Placecough cough
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #343 on: September 15, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
Although a difficult comparison since it includes no retail or residential space, Daily's Place also ended up looking completely different than the original renderings. It was certainly value engineered. If Lot J and the other stuff materialize, they will be as well. This no knock on Iguana, it's just the typical process.

KenFSU

« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »

Here's what the City Council was shown when they approved $90 million for an amphitheater and practice facility.

Here's what they got:

If you want to know what a Lot J development would actually end up looking like, a good place to start would be looking at some of Cordish's other developments in places like Texas, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc. The newer Cordish developments in particular have a bit of a distinct look.