Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 27068 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #300 on: June 15, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »

With regard to a weak corporate base, while I wouldn't use the term "weak", I do fundamentally agree with you. We don't have the corporate base that even some other mid-sized cities have. While I love that our largest employer is the US Navy, I don't see Uncle Sam sponsoring a naming rights deal or other typical corporate charitable donations.

On a similar note, I remember talking in 2010 or so to a friend who worked in corporate sales for the Jaguars, and he observed that CSX had always been very supportive of the team, but it made no shareholder sense for them to put CSX Field on the name of the stadium - "no one's going to see that on TV and say 'I think that's the train I'll ship my products on next time.'"

How many people are buying oil and gas by the super tanker load from Chesapeake Energy?  They sponsor the arena in OKC because they compete in the region for employee talent.

Also, when the Ford Center was renamed the City got to keep the amount of money in the naming rights deal with the Thunder that they were making from the non-team deal - so the City didn't lose any money and the team go their share of value they created.  THAT is how you do it.

With regard to your first point: Between the four major sports, there are 109 Arena/Stadiums. Of those, 92 of them have a corporate name. Of those, there are literally TWO that don't sell to consumers in at least one channel of their business. Chesapeake Energy and SAP (I have the list if you really want it).

With regard to your second point: The original intent WAS that the city and team would split the revenue. The Goal was that the Naming Rights deal would come in at about $5M/year. It came in at $3.5M/Year, which is what the Jags' portion of the deal would be. So yes, the City passed on $1.5M/year. Personally, I don't believe the COJ would change materially from $1.5M a year. Further, the Jags in 2010/2011 were not in great financial shape (by any measure), so if we could help out by tossing in $1.5M a year (Which would not be General Fund Money), let's do it.

pierre

« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
I always thought that Fanatics would have made sense as a naming rights partner.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
I always thought that Fanatics would have made sense as a naming rights partner.

^ Seems logical, but I wonder if its position as an official team shop manager for the entire NFL and for other individual franchises precludes this.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »

^ Seems logical, but I wonder if its position as an official team shop manager for the entire NFL and for other individual franchises precludes this

Fanatics, while (now) big enough to do it, for most of it’s history wouldn’t write this sort of check.

Now, you might be right as the NFL has a small ownership stake in the company. They do however have merchandise deals with individual teams, separate from the NFLShop.com agreement.

blizz01

« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »
Wouldn't Jaguar be a no-brainer?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »

Apparently not, since the naming rights on the place were not purchased for multiple years. Plus, then being a British company owned by an Indian company, they likely weren’t interested.

KenFSU

« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »

Apparently not, since the naming rights on the place were not purchased for multiple years. Plus, then being a British company owned by an Indian company, they likely weren’t interested.

We've offered Jaguar the opportunity in the past to be softly associated with the team as the "official car of the Jaguars," including as a make-good after we straight-up stole their IP for the original Jaguars logo, but they've never been particularly interested. The presumption is they don't feel like Jacksonville is particularly on-brand with their image.

They were probably right in 1995, but the times they are a-changing.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/06/18/ultraluxury-car-brand-opens-dealership-in.html

KenFSU

« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »
P.S. Best phase-by-phase details of the Cordish development that we've seen so far, courtesy J Magazine.

Looks like the first phase, which Khan wants to have in full, concurrent construction by spring, does in fact include the parking garage (with, wait for it, an urban park on top).

Also interesting that the Cordish development that the Jags are drawing the strongest parallel to is the Power & Light District in KC, which has done genuinely amazing things for their downtown, but has been a bit of an albatross for the taxpayers.

Good article with some quotes from Lamping here: http://www.jacksonville.com/opinion/20180617/lotj-no-time-like-present-for-25-billion-development

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:20 PM »
So if a new convention center is built, does the take the place of the city building one? If so what then happens to Prime Osborn? And if I am JTA shouldnt I be thinking we need to get the skyway headed in this direction?

remc86007

« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2018, 11:18:54 PM »
They've more or less been thinking that for 20yrs haha

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »
^JTA wants driverless vehicles to replace the Skyway....
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #311 on: June 18, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »
So if a new convention center is built, does the take the place of the city building one? If so what then happens to Prime Osborn? And if I am JTA shouldnt I be thinking we need to get the skyway headed in this direction?

On the northbank alone, we've currently got plans for two convention centers.

Two Landings.

Two signature riverfront parks.

Two parking garages - one presumably 70 stories tall for Convention Center A, with 1,300 spaces in a shared two-block radius with a quarter million square foot convention center; and another, for Convention Center B, built on top of a lake with a garden for the roof.

Four competing hotels, built over 1) land where it's not safe to breathe, 2) a condemned parking lot, 3) non-existent Convention Center A (shit, better make that garage 90 stories tall), and 4) the shell of an abandoned condo tower where somebody died.

All connected by a complex network of clown-cars and a partially demolished highway overpass carrying pedestrians around the prison.

Jacksonville ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:58:57 PM by KenFSU »

Kerry

« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »

Two Landings.

Two parking garages - one presumably 70 stories tall for Convention Center A, with 1,300 spaces in a shared two-block radius with a quarter million square foot convention center; and another, for Convention Center B, built on top of a lake with a garden for the roof.

Four competing hotels, built over 1) land where it's not safe to breathe, 2) a condemned parking lot, 3) non-existent Convention Center A (shit, better make that garage 90 stories tall), and 4) the shell of an abandoned condo tower where somebody died.

All connected by a complex network of clown-cars and a partially demolished highway overpass carrying pedestrians around the prison.

Jacksonville ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That was an awesome summation.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2018, 09:18:35 AM »

Two Landings.

Jacksonville ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well said - there really doesn't seem to be a strategy here, does there?

vicupstate

« Reply #314 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
I had no idea John Peyton was head of the Chamber.

“I think that what we’ve needed in Jacksonville is a signature project that shows momentum, where somebody really puts their flag in the ground and says, ‘We’re making an investment, and we’re gonna take risks, because we believe there’s great potential.’ I think Shad Khan is the guy who’s willing to be bullish on Downtown and take steps that, quite frankly, we haven’t seen before at this magnitude.”

I see we are still counting on the silver bullet 'game changer' project to turn things around.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln