Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 31483 times)

JBTripper

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
Atlanta is gunning hard (and has been) for the Florida Georgia game. That's one we really don't want to lose.

I don't know who in Atlanta is still pushing that. If the stadium ownership wanted a shot at it, they ended their chances by making the new stadium seat only 71,000. I also don't see the City of Atlanta ever caring enough to cut the kind of deal Jacksonville has always been willing to do with our bigger stadium.

It can be expanded to 75k for the Super Bowl, but I do agree with your point-the Flordia Georgia game is about Butts in the Seats first, and amenities second. As long as it can achieve that balance in Jacksonville then I think it’s fine. Longer term, I think the driver could be UGA’s athletics department. For UF, it’s a 90 minute bus ride. For UGA, it involves an airplane. Atlanta is to UGA distancewise as Jacksonville is to UF.

Do I think the game is truly in danger now? Presently no. However, this was a real concern prior to landing the Jaguars as the old Gator Bowl badly needed improvement.

As long as the stadium is a top tier facility and the game is financially viable for both schools, why change a good thing.

I don't see the UGA Athletics department ever pushing for Atlanta unless they the teams could make more money there. The push to either add Atlanta or shift to home-and-away mostly comes from Georgia fans in years where they're consistently losing. The school itself is all about the money, and so far, that's in Jacksonville.

Both schools would lose a lot of money going home-and-away, so I can't see them ever doing that. If they could make more money in Atlanta, I'd see that as a bigger threat. But I don't see how that would work logistically. It's a smaller stadium, the city (which already has 3 major college football games a year and a million other things going on) has no incentive to cut a sweetheart deal, and Florida has no real reason to change.

Over the long term, there's definitely a risk we lose it. But there's also a chance that in 30 years no one cares about college football anymore anyway. What we need to do is keep focusing on our periodic contracts when they come up to make sure they're winners for all involved.

One other thing to consider with Florida-Georgia is the importance of that game for South Georgia folks. There are a lot of BIG money UGA people in Savannah, St. Simons and, well, Jacksonville for whom Athens is basically non-navigable. You can't get there from here. The game in Jacksonville has long been considered THEIR game, and they'll be damned if it's ever played in The Sin City Of The South.

Kerry

« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
The Florida/Georgia game is a recruiting tool for Georgia - they don't want it moved.
Third Place

Lostwave

« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
And also don't forget, the other events, FL/GA, Bowl Game, Monster Jam, US Soccer and whatever else have nothing to do with the Jaguars and Khan.  They make nothing on those events, thats all city.  So the clubs and scoreboards etc are a benefit to the city.

exnewsman

« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »
ATL does offer the experience of tailgating in an underground parking garage. Hard to beat that.

Kerry

« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2018, 10:29:36 AM »
And also don't forget, the other events, FL/GA, Bowl Game, Monster Jam, US Soccer and whatever else have nothing to do with the Jaguars and Khan.  They make nothing on those events, thats all city.  So the clubs and scoreboards etc are a benefit to the city.

Are you sure?

http://www.jacksonville.com/metro/business/2017-07-08/jaguars-bold-events-bring-unique-business-twist-downtown-jacksonville

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has long had multiple business operations, but one of his newest ventures, Bold Events LLC, reaches well beyond the team’s operations — a unique business angle that most NFL franchises simply don’t have.

But Capener said Khan’s initiative with Bold Events basically inserts the Jaguars franchise as the controlling entity over events at the stadium that is still technically owned by the city of Jacksonville

In 2015, the Jaguars reached an agreement with the city on the lease stipulations for the property including EverBank Field. Under the plan approved by the City Council, the Jaguars and Khan’s company, which was then known as American Thunder LLC and now called Bold Events, would cover operating costs for the amphitheater (Daily’s Place) and flex field (Jaguars indoor practice facility) venues and keep all ticket, concession and other revenues earned from events, except for a ticket and parking surcharge that the city would keep. The city would own both new venues.

The idea is to make the stadium area a more popular hub of activity that far exceeds its current use. And, of course, create more revenue.

In the process, Bold Events has become the controlling entity at a venue still technically owned by the city, not the Jaguars.

Sooner or later everyone needs to realize the Jags are a cancer.  Then when the Jags do relocate to London guess who still gets all the stadium money in Jax?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:40:52 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »

Are you sure?

http://www.jacksonville.com/metro/business/2017-07-08/jaguars-bold-events-bring-unique-business-twist-downtown-jacksonville

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has long had multiple business operations, but one of his newest ventures, Bold Events LLC, reaches well beyond the team’s operations — a unique business angle that most NFL franchises simply don’t have.

But Capener said Khan’s initiative with Bold Events basically inserts the Jaguars franchise as the controlling entity over events at the stadium that is still technically owned by the city of Jacksonville

In 2015, the Jaguars reached an agreement with the city on the lease stipulations for the property including EverBank Field. Under the plan approved by the City Council, the Jaguars and Khan’s company, which was then known as American Thunder LLC and now called Bold Events, would cover operating costs for the amphitheater (Daily’s Place) and flex field (Jaguars indoor practice facility) venues and keep all ticket, concession and other revenues earned from events, except for a ticket and parking surcharge that the city would keep. The city would own both new venues.

The idea is to make the stadium area a more popular hub of activity that far exceeds its current use. And, of course, create more revenue.

In the process, Bold Events has become the controlling entity at a venue still technically owned by the city, not the Jaguars.

Sooner or later everyone needs to realize the Jags are a cancer.  Then when the Jags do relocate to London guess who still gets all the stadium money in Jax?

Please explain why they are a cancer. I’d say pension liability is a cancer.

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »

Are you sure?

The Jags are a runny nose if the Pension is a cancer.

Kerry

« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »

Because the taxpayers are fronting all the cost while permanently giving the profits to the Jags.  Jags get what they want in civic negotiations because the politicians are afraid of the fan base.  This isn't how local government is supposed to work.

Funny you bring up the pension because that problem exists for the same reason - city government writing check and making promises the taxpayers can't cash and can't keep.  Then who gets held accountable for the debacle?  Certainly not the people responsible.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »

Because the taxpayers are fronting all the cost while permanently giving the profits to the Jags.  Jags get what they want in civic negotiations because the politicians are afraid of the fan base.  This isn't how local government is supposed to work.

Funny you bring up the pension because that problem exists for the same reason - city government writing check and making promises the taxpayers can't cash and can't keep.  Then who gets held accountable for the debacle?  Certainly not the people responsible.

Please explain how a 50/50 split of the costs is “fronting all of the costs”

Kerry

« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
It isn't 50/50, but I'll admit it isn't 100/0 either.  We do seem to pick up a large portion of expenses the team specifically benefits from while they get to buy into projects that produce revenue outside of the Jags core business.  That isn't a good deal for the City.  The Jags have doubled in value since Khan bought them due in large part to the deals he has worked with the City, but will we see any of that money when the team is sold someday?  Nope - that is public debt for private wealth creation at its worst.
Third Place

remc86007

« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »
^Doesn't the city still own the buildings and the improvements? Don't you think the city benefits by having the team here? I think there are far worse examples of public money creating private wealth.

KenFSU

« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2018, 01:56:42 PM »
The Jags have doubled in value since Khan bought them due in large part to the deals he has worked with the City.

*Tripled, if we're counting.

Lostwave

« Reply #252 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »
Are you sure?

Yes I am sure.  Your quote is about bold events and the amphitheater, not the stadium.  The events I was talking about were all in the football stadium.  Your opinion is your opinion about football and cancer, you can choose to like or not like either.  I am just giving you facts.

Kerry

« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »
^Doesn't the city still own the buildings and the improvements? Don't you think the city benefits by having the team here? I think there are far worse examples of public money creating private wealth.

Thanks for the reminder - we are responsible for all upkeep and maintenance.  No cost sharing there.

Does the City benefit from the team?  In my opinion that answer is No - it doesn't.  Do individual citizens benefit, yes the do.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
It isn't 50/50, but I'll admit it isn't 100/0 either.  We do seem to pick up a large portion of expenses the team specifically benefits from while they get to buy into projects that produce revenue outside of the Jags core business.  That isn't a good deal for the City.  The Jags have doubled in value since Khan bought them due in large part to the deals he has worked with the City, but will we see any of that money when the team is sold someday?  Nope - that is public debt for private wealth creation at its worst.

Well, if we’re talking about the latest round, the Jaguars spent over $90M, and the COJ’s contribution was capped at $45M. That seems quite a lot like 50/50 to me.

That aside, there are an incredible number of indirect benefits to having the team here, in things like national exposure and quality of life. On game day, there are 65k in the Jacksonville area doing one thing, and a couple hundred thousand watching it on TV. Find me any other thing in Jacksonville where about 20% of the Metro Area is doing the exact same thing.

From a perspective thing when you think about other cities, the largest MSA without either a team in the four major sports is Austin, Texas. They are a bit of an exception as they have Texas’ flagship public university. After that is Virginia Beach-Norfolk, then Richmond, then Louisville. While I’d certainly wouldn’t mind having the economic growth of Austin, I definitely don’t want to be in Richmond’s or Norfolk’s shoes in terms of growth.

I definitely think the Jaguars deserve a portion of the credit for the economic growth.