Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 27064 times)

CityLife

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »
That is some serious Mojo. Wembley is the national stadium in England where they play all of their National Soccer Team games and Cup championships. Hopefully he does not use this as leverage to extort COJ into bending over backwards for anything he wants.

Sorry to quote myself, but the more I think about the potential Wembley acquisition, the more I think that this will significantly improve Khan's negotiating stance on his future redevelopment proposal. Anyone that believes that there is no potential for Khan to move the team fulltime to London just because he said so in a quote is extremely naïve. Did you expect him to say, "Well I may move the Jags if I don't get whatever I want in Jacksonville?" No, instead he will use this as a bargaining chip throughout the process, and I don't blame the guy. It is business after all.

What this means is that the City and various public entities have to put their big boy pants on and do whatever they can on their end. Partner with Khan on corporate recruiting efforts, solve the ramp issue, address environmental remediation, make something happen with the Emerald Necklace (Hogan's Creek), start putting together incentive packages at the state and local level, and have various departments in the City prepared to expend a substantial amount of time on the proposal.

If Khan's redevelopment happens, that all but assures the Jags stay permanently. Don't fool yourself for a minute into thinking that things won't head south real quick if Khan does not get his way. I grew up in Jacksonville and left due to frustration/inaction from the City (as have many others). What makes you think a multi-billionaire with no ties to the area won't do the same?

Totally agree. Interesting that Khan seems to be learning more about RE development now. Through the Shipyards and Lot J proposals. Daily's Place construction. I believe he is working on similar development around Craven Cottage and now the Wembley purchase. Could work out well for Jax in the long run...or could be disastrous. We'll see...

Agreed with your agreement. He definitely seems to be learning and is likely surrounding himself more and more with savvy people that he can lean on. I also think he's in a better financial situation to make big moves than he was even a few years ago. I believe his net worth is about 75% larger than it was when he bought the Jags. With his standing in the national and international business world and ego (that is well earned), I just don't see him letting the City jerk him around or not hold up their end of the deal.

It's hard to know who (or what entity) is to be blamed for The District debacle, but that absolutely can't happen this time. I'm not saying the City is any way at fault (as it could very well be wholly on Rummel), but I hope that the experience working on The District has prepped them well for dealing with Khan. Truly could end up being a defining project that determines Jax's path over the next 20-50 years.

vicupstate

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »
The city is in no way, shape or form able to negotiate with Khan on anything close to an even playing field.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

JaxAvondale

« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2018, 02:54:26 PM »
I don't see the Jags losing a second home game. However, I do see Khan campaigning for the Jags to play an away game there. Even though the home team gets more money on paper, the fact that Khan owns the place certainly gives some financial incentive.

The second London home game would likely be a pre-season game. The easiest option would be to play the 1st pre-season game in London. The are already practicing in the mornings anyway to avoid the heat. Their opponent would be another team who is “hosting” a game in London that season. It would help the other team get adjusted for the game later in the season. I think most season ticket holders would be happy not to include the price of the pre-season game in the season ticket cost. As for lost stadium revenue, if Fulham moves up to the premier league then Khan can propose a friendly against another team training in the states. Most of the big clubs already train in the USA in July/early August and we would probably draw more than match instead of a pre-season game.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
I don't see the Jags losing a second home game. However, I do see Khan campaigning for the Jags to play an away game there. Even though the home team gets more money on paper, the fact that Khan owns the place certainly gives some financial incentive.

The second London home game would likely be a pre-season game. The easiest option would be to play the 1st pre-season game in London. The are already practicing in the mornings anyway to avoid the heat. Their opponent would be another team who is “hosting” a game in London that season. It would help the other team get adjusted for the game later in the season. I think most season ticket holders would be happy not to include the price of the pre-season game in the season ticket cost. As for lost stadium revenue, if Fulham moves up to the premier league then Khan can propose a friendly against another team training in the states. Most of the big clubs already train in the USA in July/early August and we would probably draw more than match instead of a pre-season game.

I suppose, but realistically I'd be surprised if the team was committed to two trips over the pond. If they play two games in a row over there (Home and Away or Vice Versa), then it's only one trip over. Plus, while Londoners may not know American Football as well as we do, they'll figure out FAST if it's a trash pre-season game.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »
They are plenty of friendlies in soccer. So, I think they would still come out to a pre-season game.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »
They are plenty of friendlies in soccer. So, I think they would still come out to a pre-season game.

Yea....In a friendly they don’t pull 100% of the starters and play literally the third string. They might pull a few here and there, but there are still stars on the field.

Plus, Wembley holds 90k. They aren’t going to put 90k in the stands year in and year out for a preseason game.

JBTripper

« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
How many NFL teams would be willing to play one of their "home" games in Khan's stadium? Financially it could make sense, but if the Jags develop a real crowd advantage, then I don't see other owners agreeing to that.

Wembley could be a good thing for Jax and the Jags. However, if the team does not meet financial goals locally, I could see this creeping toward more than one home game in London.

The Jaguars would have a very difficult time selling additional home games in London to the fans in Jacksonville. If fans begin to see this venture as a gradual creep across the Atlantic, they'll stop supporting the team altogether. If that happens, so much for increasing local revenue.

But if Khan owns Wembley, he might have the leverage to lure other NFL teams to give up home games to play the Jaguars in London. From a competitive standpoint, home-field advantage matters a lot less in the NFL than it does in college, particularly during the regular season. A Jaguar-heavy crowd would not be as much of an issue with getting another team to come play in London.

In college football, we've had a huge increase in these "neutral site" games early in the year. They're so lucrative that Florida and Michigan get more money by splitting the revenue from a game in Dallas than they do by keeping all of the money from a game in Gainesville/Ann Arbor. Since Khan doesn't have to rent the facility, the financials of a "neutral site" game between the Chargers and Jaguars might begin to look more attractive for both teams than a game in LA, where they can't even fill an MLS stadium. The Chargers, or many other small-market teams, could do better with half the money from a London game than all of the money from a home game. And obviously the Jags would be happy to take half the money from a London game than none of the money from a traditional road game.

And the fans in Jacksonville don't care a lick how many road games the Jaguars play in London.

CityLife

« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
Tremendous post JBTripper. Had not considered that angle.

Really, any way you look at it Khan stands to gain money and power from the acquisition. Gotta give it up to the guy for thinking outside of the box.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »
The NFL currently covers travel costs for teams playing in London. Not sure if they would do that for a pre-season game. And not sure how that tips the scales in terms of revenue for a preseason game.

Yes I could definitely see a home-away in back-to-back weeks in London for the Jags. Just gotta convince a team to do that. I'm sure the Chargers would be low-hanging fruit in the short term, but once the LA stadium is finished maybe not so much.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:48:56 PM by ProjectMaximus »

funwithteeth

« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
The NFL currently covers travel costs for teams playing in London. Not sure if they would do that for a pre-season game. And not sure how that tips the scales in terms of revenue for a preseason game.

Yes I could definitely see a home-away in back-to-back weeks in London for the Jags. Just gotta convince a team to do that. I'm sure the Chargers would be low-hanging fruit in the short term, but once the LA stadium is finished maybe not so much.
NFL scheduling doesn't work this way. A Jags-Chargers London game could only happen in a year where AFC South teams are scheduled to play AFC West teams—which happens every three years—or, if in the previous season, the Jags and the Chargers finished in the same spot in their respective divisions. If it seems like those teams have been playing each other a lot over recent years, it's because both teams have been routinely finishing near or at the bottom of those divisions.

dp8541

« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
In the next few years my guess is we see a Jags preseason finale, followed by "home opener" finishing with "road" game all in London.  Team will stay there for a month or so to minimize travel time.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2018, 08:10:26 PM »
In the next few years my guess is we see a Jags preseason finale, followed by "home opener" finishing with "road" game all in London.  Team will stay there for a month or so to minimize travel time.

This would be very hard to do with mandatory cuts due after the last pre-season game. You would be putting over 30 players back on a plane not mention the players trying to find a new team with his agent.

With that said, I do think the Jags prefer playing in the London early in the season.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2018, 11:27:35 PM »

NFL scheduling doesn't work this way. A Jags-Chargers London game could only happen in a year where AFC South teams are scheduled to play AFC West teams—which happens every three years—or, if in the previous season, the Jags and the Chargers finished in the same spot in their respective divisions. If it seems like those teams have been playing each other a lot over recent years, it's because both teams have been routinely finishing near or at the bottom of those divisions.

Yeah you're right. I was just saying hypothetically, but yeah you're right.

KenFSU

« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
How many NFL teams would be willing to play one of their "home" games in Khan's stadium? Financially it could make sense, but if the Jags develop a real crowd advantage, then I don't see other owners agreeing to that.

Wembley could be a good thing for Jax and the Jags. However, if the team does not meet financial goals locally, I could see this creeping toward more than one home game in London.

The Jaguars would have a very difficult time selling additional home games in London to the fans in Jacksonville. If fans begin to see this venture as a gradual creep across the Atlantic, they'll stop supporting the team altogether. If that happens, so much for increasing local revenue.

But if Khan owns Wembley, he might have the leverage to lure other NFL teams to give up home games to play the Jaguars in London. From a competitive standpoint, home-field advantage matters a lot less in the NFL than it does in college, particularly during the regular season. A Jaguar-heavy crowd would not be as much of an issue with getting another team to come play in London.

In college football, we've had a huge increase in these "neutral site" games early in the year. They're so lucrative that Florida and Michigan get more money by splitting the revenue from a game in Dallas than they do by keeping all of the money from a game in Gainesville/Ann Arbor. Since Khan doesn't have to rent the facility, the financials of a "neutral site" game between the Chargers and Jaguars might begin to look more attractive for both teams than a game in LA, where they can't even fill an MLS stadium. The Chargers, or many other small-market teams, could do better with half the money from a London game than all of the money from a home game. And obviously the Jags would be happy to take half the money from a London game than none of the money from a traditional road game.

And the fans in Jacksonville don't care a lick how many road games the Jaguars play in London.

If the Jags add a second London game, it's 99% going to be a home game. Can't see the away game scenario happening for the simple reason that it defeats the entire purpose of playing in London, which is to generate more revenue for the Jags. With the way NFL revenue sharing is set up, home teams get 60% of general ticket sales, and 100% of premium ticket sales (clubs, boxes, etc) and concessions. The other 40% goes into a pot that is shared evenly among all teams. If the Jags play an away game in London, that money all goes to the other team. Financially, adding a regular away game in London makes roughly as much sense as adding a regular away game in Lakeland.

I also disagree that local fans would abandon the Jags if they did add a second home game in London. Khan is a straight-shooter, and he's clearly committed to the Jacksonville market. If he continues to invest in the city, and continues to field a winning team, I think most (educated) locals would see it as a smart business move that will ultimately benefit Jacksonville. If you watch the State of the Franchise every year, the Jags are very transparent about the challenges of being a small market NFL team, and about how holding a home game in London helps them to fill in that gap. They play in London to make the franchise more sustainable in Jacksonville. It really is that simple. Khan's proven himself to be a man of character over the years, and I guarantee you, he's not going to Irsay the Jags.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
There's just so much BS on this thread. Sorry guys - not trying to be rude. But basically, everyone seems to "know" what Khan is going to do - and it miraculously lines up with their own preferences. The truth is none of us can really know what Khan plans to do - and none of us really knows how much he cares about Jacksonville. It's all speculation and, again, it's speculation borne out of wishful thinking (or anti-Jaguars sentiment).

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”