Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 27082 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »
A note from Action News - if you're going to the Draft Party, head out early and be patient.  Besides the Draft Party, the Jumbo Shrimp have a home game, and Welcome to Rockville is at Metro Park. 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
To paraquote channel 4 "The question on EVERYBODY's mind, will the Jags move to London?" SMH... ::)

Is this the same "everybody" that Trump cites as supporting whatever random thought has just entered his head?

I-10east

« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
^^I don't know what that's all about, but whatever...

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
The radio host Seth Harp explained it today in a way that I was kind of thinking when I heard the news:  Khan buying Wembley is the Europe version of what Kronke has done in LA. 

He just happened to purchase a track of land with a stadium already on it.  And now he'll generate revenue on EVERYTHING in the stadium when the Jags play their games there as well.  Very smart move on his part.

Essentially, he just got out ahead of the curve, knowing that the NFL will expand, to maintain our presence in London (will probably bump up to 2 games a year) and when/if they put a franchise over there (not the Jaguars) he'll be able to lease that stadium to whichever team goes.  Because when the NFL expands, I fully expect them to expand and not just move a team from here.  I could see 2 teams in London which would ease the travel burden on all involved by being able to play 2 games with 'home' teams a year, as well as allow the visiting team to play 2 consecutive games across the pond.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Kiva

« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »
This reminds me of an old joke. Three deaf men are on a bus. The first says "Is this Wembley?" The second says "No, it's Thursday". The third says "So am I. Let's get off and have a drink!".

jaxnyc79

« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2018, 10:44:42 PM »
A real estate transaction to begin to create a London fan base to supplement the Jacksonville area fan base...makes sense.

billy

« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2018, 01:50:18 AM »
Why is there not a Flex N Gate facility in Jacksonville?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2018, 05:58:47 AM »
A real estate transaction to begin to create a London fan base to supplement the Jacksonville area fan base...makes sense.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make a lot of sense for the taxpayers who helped to build the stadium in the first place. The FA will sell it on, pocket the money (after paying off their creditors) and we'll get stuck with Flex N Gate stadium. But who knows? Maybe we'll get massive scoreboards and swimming pools (financed by the GLA, of course). That should definitely class up the "home of football".
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BenderRodriguez

« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2018, 07:07:23 AM »

… I could see 2 teams in London which would ease the travel burden on all involved by being able to play 2 games with 'home' teams a year, as well as allow the visiting team to play 2 consecutive games across the pond.

This... actually makes a lot of sense and definitely works logistically.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »
I don't see the Jags losing a second home game. However, I do see Khan campaigning for the Jags to play an away game there. Even though the home team gets more money on paper, the fact that Khan owns the place certainly gives some financial incentive.

CityLife

« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2018, 10:19:14 AM »
That is some serious Mojo. Wembley is the national stadium in England where they play all of their National Soccer Team games and Cup championships. Hopefully he does not use this as leverage to extort COJ into bending over backwards for anything he wants.

Sorry to quote myself, but the more I think about the potential Wembley acquisition, the more I think that this will significantly improve Khan's negotiating stance on his future redevelopment proposal. Anyone that believes that there is no potential for Khan to move the team fulltime to London just because he said so in a quote is extremely naïve. Did you expect him to say, "Well I may move the Jags if I don't get whatever I want in Jacksonville?" No, instead he will use this as a bargaining chip throughout the process, and I don't blame the guy. It is business after all.

What this means is that the City and various public entities have to put their big boy pants on and do whatever they can on their end. Partner with Khan on corporate recruiting efforts, solve the ramp issue, address environmental remediation, make something happen with the Emerald Necklace (Hogan's Creek), start putting together incentive packages at the state and local level, and have various departments in the City prepared to expend a substantial amount of time on the proposal.

If Khan's redevelopment happens, that all but assures the Jags stay permanently. Don't fool yourself for a minute into thinking that things won't head south real quick if Khan does not get his way. I grew up in Jacksonville and left due to frustration/inaction from the City (as have many others). What makes you think a multi-billionaire with no ties to the area won't do the same?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:21:18 AM by CityLife »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »
One doesn't have 'mojo' in the UK.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

DrQue

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
How many NFL teams would be willing to play one of their "home" games in Khan's stadium? Financially it could make sense, but if the Jags develop a real crowd advantage, then I don't see other owners agreeing to that.

Wembley could be a good thing for Jax and the Jags. However, if the team does not meet financial goals locally, I could see this creeping toward more than one home game in London.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »
That is some serious Mojo. Wembley is the national stadium in England where they play all of their National Soccer Team games and Cup championships. Hopefully he does not use this as leverage to extort COJ into bending over backwards for anything he wants.

Sorry to quote myself, but the more I think about the potential Wembley acquisition, the more I think that this will significantly improve Khan's negotiating stance on his future redevelopment proposal. Anyone that believes that there is no potential for Khan to move the team fulltime to London just because he said so in a quote is extremely naïve. Did you expect him to say, "Well I may move the Jags if I don't get whatever I want in Jacksonville?" No, instead he will use this as a bargaining chip throughout the process, and I don't blame the guy. It is business after all.

What this means is that the City and various public entities have to put their big boy pants on and do whatever they can on their end. Partner with Khan on corporate recruiting efforts, solve the ramp issue, address environmental remediation, make something happen with the Emerald Necklace (Hogan's Creek), start putting together incentive packages at the state and local level, and have various departments in the City prepared to expend a substantial amount of time on the proposal.

If Khan's redevelopment happens, that all but assures the Jags stay permanently. Don't fool yourself for a minute into thinking that things won't head south real quick if Khan does not get his way. I grew up in Jacksonville and left due to frustration/inaction from the City (as have many others). What makes you think a multi-billionaire with no ties to the area won't do the same?

Totally agree. Interesting that Khan seems to be learning more about RE development now. Through the Shipyards and Lot J proposals. Daily's Place construction. I believe he is working on similar development around Craven Cottage and now the Wembley purchase. Could work out well for Jax in the long run...or could be disastrous. We'll see...

Todd_Parker

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
Would be interesting to see the responses to a forum discussion on predictions for the city of Jacksonville if the Jaguars did move.