Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 31490 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »
My bad. Forgot Spurs were building a new stadium. Also didn’t realize that they have a 10 year contract to play NFL games in their new stadium. So buying Wembley may not be as savvy of a move as it originally looked.

I was a bit confused about Khan's motivations, to be honest. I also am not 100% on what the deal is with NFL games in London going forward. As you mentioned, there is a deal in place for the new Tottenham stadium to host games. Currently, games are played at Wembley and Twickenham stadium. Not sure if that means there will be games at all three stadiums or if it will just be Wembley and Tottenham or maybe just Tottenham.

Of course, I was mainly joking about Khan. Except for the bit about the Michael Jackson statue - I'd love to see that at Wembley!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

blizz01

« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
It's high time they establish a direct flight from JAX to Heathrow....

Kiva

« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Norwegian Air has flights from Orlando to Gatwick. Return flights in May are as low as $450.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »
My bad. Forgot Spurs were building a new stadium. Also didn’t realize that they have a 10 year contract to play NFL games in their new stadium. So buying Wembley may not be as savvy of a move as it originally looked.

I was a bit confused about Khan's motivations, to be honest. I also am not 100% on what the deal is with NFL games in London going forward. As you mentioned, there is a deal in place for the new Tottenham stadium to host games. Currently, games are played at Wembley and Twickenham stadium. Not sure if that means there will be games at all three stadiums or if it will just be Wembley and Tottenham or maybe just Tottenham.

Of course, I was mainly joking about Khan. Except for the bit about the Michael Jackson statue - I'd love to see that at Wembley!

I'm not sure what the contractual agreements really are. Wembley is supposed to get 2 games a year through 2020 with the Jags playing there once each year. Tottenham is supposed to get 2 games a year from 2018-2027.

But the 2018 schedule has only 3 NFL games in London; 2 at Wembley and 1 at Tottenham.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
The NFL has an agreement to play games in Tottenham’s new stadium. However, the Jags prefer to play at Wembley. The area around Wembley allows for a “tailgating” experience.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »

I'm not sure what the contractual agreements really are. Wembley is supposed to get 2 games a year through 2020 with the Jags playing there once each year. Tottenham is supposed to get 2 games a year from 2018-2027.

But the 2018 schedule has only 3 NFL games in London; 2 at Wembley and 1 at Tottenham.

The talk is that they would move to 5 games starting next season.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »

This would be great! I always wondered if JIA has to expand “B” Gate before Jax could see flights to London. I would be happy with just flying in and out of Gatwick.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
JIA actually has customs already and an international gate that leads to it (C5). Next time you’re there and bored go over by C1, and you’ll see the customs exit tunnel.

Now, I don’t know how many people this area can process, but it’s there.

Papa33

« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Does anyone know the sum total of Kahn's investments in the stadium upgrades (video boards, US Assure Club seats); Daily's Place; proposed Lot J investment and how that compares to what he is planning to spend on Wembley?

JaxAvondale

« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2018, 02:30:14 PM »
JIA actually has customs already and an international gate that leads to it (C5). Next time you’re there and bored go over by C1, and you’ll see the customs exit tunnel.

I know that there is a customs exit tunnel at the C gate. My thought process is that you would like need to move Southwest and American to B gate in order to accommodate the flow of international travel at JIA. It is essentially what New Orleans is going to do with their expansion from my understanding.

KenFSU

« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »
Does anyone know the sum total of Kahn's investments in the stadium upgrades (video boards, US Assure Club seats); Daily's Place; proposed Lot J investment and how that compares to what he is planning to spend on Wembley?

In terms of stadium upgrades, over $100 million.

Apples and oranges though (investing in a city-owned stadium in Jacksonville vs. purchasing Wembley outright).

KenFSU

« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2018, 02:50:02 PM »
I think it really speaks to how much Jacksonville has grown in confidence that most people people are taking this story in stride and not panicking.

The Jags rightfully consider London, specifically their home UK stadium at Wembley, to be a huge, supplemental part of keeping the franchise healthy and competitive in Jacksonville. They've also been frustrated by the lack of flexibility with scheduling their London game, and have been worried about a potential sale of Wembley effecting their future at that stadium. Makes a lot of sense for Khan to buy it, no longer have to pay rent on it every year, and get a piece of every event, NFL or otherwise, that takes place at Wembley.

Lamping also said that if the Jags decide in the future to add a second London game each year (likely preseason), this makes it a lot easier.

Lamping, "Judge us on our actions, not on what fears might be. Shad does business all over the world. Our behavior here in Jacksonville has been the exact opposite of what you would expect from an owner if he was moving. It strengthens the Jaguars financial health. Trying to find those opportunities that can result in new revenue streams that flow back to Jacksonville and make us financially stronger."

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »

I know that there is a customs exit tunnel at the C gate. My thought process is that you would like need to move Southwest and American to B gate in order to accommodate the flow of international travel at JIA. It is essentially what New Orleans is going to do with their expansion from my understanding.

Probably not necessary. Generally for mid-sized cities with 1-2 international flights a day, there is one common use gate that they all share. Let's say British Airways tomorrow announces a nonstop JAX-LHR. It will be 1 flight that operates maybe not even every day. They don't need a 24/7 dedicated gate. Most international gates are shared use, even at airports like ATL (though Delta has preferred use on a few of them).

Side note: I'm 99.9% sure that all of JAX's gates are officially shared use, even though in practice the bigger carriers have their gates that they always use.

I-10east

« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
Channel 4 is already starting with the dumb moving rumors because of Shad wanting to own Wembley... While I don't foresee a move, I could see us losing more regular season games which would piss me off. I'm very skeptical about Khan owning Wembley being a good thing for Jax.

I-10east

« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2018, 05:08:13 PM »
To paraquote channel 4 "The question on EVERYBODY's mind, will the Jags move to London?" SMH... ::)