Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 49708 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2018, 09:55:27 PM »
It would behoove the city and its downtown revitalization efforts to keep JEA and its 800 employees in the Northbank. Them moving to the District would be as devastating to the Northbank as them moving to Baymeadows.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2018, 10:46:58 PM »
What's the evidence that they're recruiting outside companies, especially considering this is all so conjectural right now?

I read it on Taste of the Town Center.

(or heard from a fairly reliable source that Khan has been pitching businesses on Jacksonville for years, both nationally and internationally, for the Shipyards development, and may have some takers lined up if/when it ever gets built)

Of anyone in this city, Khan is the one guy that I wouldn't underestimate under any circumstance. He's one of the most well-connected men on the planet, with deep ties in London, Chicago, and the Middle East.

I don't think he's spending his own money on an office tower in hopes that Larry's Giant Subs moves in 30 employees.
Where did it say that Khan would spend his own money on an office tower? I doubt that happens.

Khan’s not spending his own money. The money that’s spent on it will be from the Jags’ budget. Plus whatever we chip in.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:53 AM »
^From all the language that's been used, it's going to be your classic Cordish development, co-financed by the Jaguars and Cordish, with heavy public subsidy. If past projects are any indication, Cordish will push for incentives totaling 25-30% of project cost, likely financed by using new taxes from within the development to pay off bonds used for construction.

The second phase of Ballpark Village in St. Louis (Mark Lamping oversaw construction of the original BallPark Village) is actually a really interesting case study for Jacksonville. A lot of parallels, including a 10-story office component in downtown St. Louis where the vacancy rate is even higher than downtown Jacksonville (17%). The idea was that the new office space - the first office tower built in downtown St. Louis in 30 years - would add net new jobs to the urban core. What actually ended up happening was Ballpark Village cannibalized other jobs downtown, most notably PricewaterhouseCoopers, who moved their entire St. Louis staff from Bank of America Plaza to Ballpark Village.

It'll be a risky proposal either way, in that Cordish usually positions themselves to where, if a development doesn't take off as expected, the city is still on the hook to make those payments. Kansas City needed to pull millions from their general fund in the middle of the recession for this very reason.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »
I get the impression none of this is far along enough in concept to actually know if this master plan will happen, much less what the exact mix of uses will be, how they'll be funded and what the funding mix percentages will shake out too. All we really know is that it will take a ton of public money. Nevertheless, if office space does happen here or at the District (like the Ballpark Village situation) it will likely eat it from another downtown building or company already present in the local area. I'm not saying it shouldn't be pursued because of that. I'm just putting it out there that with real estate, there's typically winners and losers.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:42 AM »
Regarding office, there has never been a better time to recruit businesses from tax heavy states. The Trump tax plan's cap of $10k on personal state/local income, property, and sales tax is going to lead to a huge migration out of tax heavy states like New York and California. This was already happening pre-Trump tax plan, but is expected to accelerate rapidly.

Khan has the potential to offer brand new, build to suit, Class AA office space on prime real estate. If he, COJ, and the state are willing to offer strong incentives, along with the promise of being part of an exciting mixed-use project, he should have no trouble finding a few large office users from out of state. Khan being a member of the billionaires club gives him access to all kinds of intel and connections, that should make this much easier than you realize. I have a client that is also a multi-billionaire (outside of Jax) and he makes things happen with ease, mostly through his social network and through the ability to float large sums of his own cash to make deals happen. We will see what kind of Mojo Khan really has in the next few years.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:04:27 AM by CityLife »

Bill Hoff

CityLife

« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
That is some serious Mojo. Wembley is the national stadium in England where they play all of their National Soccer Team games and Cup championships. Hopefully he does not use this as leverage to extort COJ into bending over backwards for anything he wants.

comncense

« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
Here's a press release from Shad to Fulham fans on their website:
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/26/chairman-statement

"If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars’ position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."

CityLife

« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2018, 08:53:04 AM »

"If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars’ position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."

That is such a power play move and genius on his end. Gotta give it up to him.

Now let’s see what he can pull of in Jax.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »

That is such a power play move and genius on his end. Gotta give it up to him.

Now let’s see what he can pull of in Jax.

Agreed! This is a smart move. I hope the Jags start playing at least one pre-season game in London as well or petition for a 5th preseason game like the Hall of Fame game teams. It will be a great source of revenue for the team.

KenFSU

« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
Khan's statement about the potential purchase, via Jaguars.com:

I am very pleased to learn today that The Football Association board of directors received our offer to purchase Wembley Stadium, our home away from home in London, from the FA.

One of the many benefits of the Jaguars’ commitment to London has been our partnership with the FA and Wembley Stadium.  Over the past several years, it became clearer to us and the FA that the idea of our purchase of Wembley Stadium made a lot of sense for all of us.

For the FA, it would mean Wembley Stadium returning to private ownership, permitting the FA to direct its full attention to its mandate to develop talent and serve the game with the vast resources it would realize from the sale.  For the Jaguars, it would deliver another – and very significant – asset and local revenue source that would further strengthen our investment in London, which as everyone knows is crucial to the Jaguars’ continued sustainability in Jacksonville.  In every respect, the Jaguars’ standing in London would be improved and dramatically enhanced if we are fortunate to be approved as the new owner and steward of Wembley Stadium, and that’s good news for the Jaguars and all of Jacksonville.

If you’ve had the occasion to join us for one of our Jaguars home games in London, you know that Wembley Stadium is a very special place.  Our commitment to the FA is we will own and operate Wembley with the care and respect it deserves, always being mindful that it is – and will continue to be – the home of England’s national teams as well as the ultimate destination for the world’s top entertainment and sports event, including Jaguars and NFL games.  And today’s announcement is additional evidence that we are committed to create and enhance new revenue streams to boost the Jaguars, such as the incredibly successful Daily’s Place and the project we revealed last week with The Cordish Companies on the proposed development around EverBank Field.

Today’s news changes none of what we envision for the long-term promise for the Jaguars here in Jax, and it changes nothing as to the goals we have for your downtown.  If anything, today’s news is the embodiment of the ethos we adopted several years ago of being proud, bold and committed.

We look forward to the process ahead with The Football Association and our pick in the first round of the NFL Draft, occurring very late this evening.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:32:50 AM by KenFSU »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
Based on his track record to date in English football, I'm not so sure I'd want him to purchase the national stadium. I might be tempted to change my mind if he agrees to instal the Michael Jackson statue, though...
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

CityLife

« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »
Based on his track record to date in English football, I'm not so sure I'd want him to purchase the national stadium. I might be tempted to change my mind if he agrees to instal the Michael Jackson statue, though...

He got off to a bad start with both Fulham and the Jags, but has both headed in the right direction. Fulham have around a 50% shot to get back to the Premier League this year. I can’t see Levy (owner of Tottenham) and others letting him buy the national stadium with out a fight though.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2018, 09:49:33 AM »

He got off to a bad start with both Fulham and the Jags, but has both headed in the right direction. Fulham have around a 50% shot to get back to the Premier League this year. I can’t see Levy (owner of Tottenham) and others letting him buy the national stadium with out a fight though.

Well, Fulham haven't been promoted yet. And even if they are, it's no guarantee of survival.

Levy (and Lewis - the other owner of Spurs) have no say in the purchase of Wembley Stadium, as it's owned by the FA. I think the biggest complaint any of these billionaires could make is if they wanted to buy the stadium and decided that Khan was being given preferential treatment or something (kind of like what happened with the Olympic stadium and WHU). In any event, Spurs will (or should be) playing in Tottenham again once the new season starts.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

CityLife

« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »
My bad. Forgot Spurs were building a new stadium. Also didn’t realize that they have a 10 year contract to play NFL games in their new stadium. So buying Wembley may not be as savvy of a move as it originally looked.