Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 51977 times)

JaxAvondale

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »
I'm really skeptical that there's a market for more office space downtown. The stadium district should focus on apartments instead.

A lot of it will be apartments.

Good, good. It says "office" in the renderings I saw, but I'm unable to watch it live.

Lamping said that the mix would be whatever the market commanded.

Lostwave

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »
I'm really skeptical that there's a market for more office space downtown. The stadium district should focus on apartments instead.

Good, good. It says "office" in the renderings I saw, but I'm unable to watch it live.

The first phase around the Live! facility will be office and hotel, but the part by the water will be lots apts.  Plus in the future phase where lot M and N are, will be all residential (if that ever gets built)

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »

The first phase around the Live! facility will be office and hotel, but the part by the water will be lots apts.  Plus in the future phase where lot M and N are, will be all residential (if that ever gets built)

It's the "offices" by Daily's Place that concern me. That's what ought to be apartments, unless they have some specific tenant in mind, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2018, 02:03:14 PM »
I'd consider everything that we saw today to be purely conceptual.

I have no doubt the Jaguars are going to build something on Lot J, but it probably won't look anything like what's pictured in the renders.

Lamping used a lot of qualifiers about market conditions, and about the state of the land, and used a lot of vague language about how, "this might go here, or that might go there."

Plus, it sounds like Cordish (who wasn't involved with the renders) will ultimately design the complex.

And everything south of the Hart Bridge ramps seemed to be more of a PR-ish, "this is the type of thing we could do if the state/city would remove the ramps" kind of thing, rather than an actual site plan.

Great concept, great presentation, but personally, I would have liked a little less sizzle and a little more steak. I think I would have been more excited to learn more about the short-term plan for Lot J and see some detailed renders from Cordish than to see our third set of rearranged Shipyards renders. Would have also liked to know what the timetable was for assessing the condition of Lot J, and at what stage of development the garage would be necessary (3,000 spots over an existing retention pond would have to cost upward of $60 million).

Would also have liked a true update, maybe from Curry, on how and when the $25 million currently allocated for ramp removal will be used, as well as how and when Shipyards remediation would begin.

Hard to get too excited about anything south of the ramps when we're looking at 3+ years, best case scenario, before construction can even begin. Who knows what the market will look like at that time.

That said, the Cordish partnership is a genuinely huge, if expected, announcement.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:07:35 PM by KenFSU »

KenFSU

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »
Here are the renders, in case anyone missed them:

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »
^^ I agree with the statements above. I don't even get excited anymore looking at this renderings. It's been an on-going theme now with these state of the unions. Give me something more realistic.

KenFSU

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
Also, big props to Shad Khan.

Iguana has perhaps the most to gain of anyone by the type of windfall that arise from a JEA sale.

Shad Khan: Selling JEA is a Terrible Idea

Shad Khan, the billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and the most important man in the city’s economic development efforts, said Thursday it would be a “terrible idea” to privatize the city-owned electric and water utility, adding a highly influential — if unlikely — voice into the contentious debate.

It’s not the first time Khan — who made the comments during the team’s State of the Franchise event — has weighed in on a divisive city issue. His influence was thought to have been a key reason the city expanded its anti-discrimination law last year to include LGBT residents, and his views on politics have at times been in the national spotlight.

“JEA should stay the way it is,” Khan said. “I have seen this all over the country when you have something that is really a public entity like that getting privatized [it] doesn’t work well for the residents.

“Nobody has asked me, but I think it ought to stay the way it is.”

Full story: http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180419/shad-khan-selling-jea-is-terrible-idea

pierre

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »
Good to hear from Khan

Lostwave

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
I would think the first thing we would see is the Parking Garage get built.  Otherwise we would lose all that parking for a few seasons until it is.

minder

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »
This proposal looks like it potentially dwarves other Cordish projects like Ballpark Village in St. Louis.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2018, 03:28:40 PM »
I'd consider everything that we saw today to be purely conceptual.

I have no doubt the Jaguars are going to build something on Lot J, but it probably won't look anything like what's pictured in the renders.

Lamping used a lot of qualifiers about market conditions, and about the state of the land, and used a lot of vague language about how, "this might go here, or that might go there."

Plus, it sounds like Cordish (who wasn't involved with the renders) will ultimately design the complex.

And everything south of the Hart Bridge ramps seemed to be more of a PR-ish, "this is the type of thing we could do if the state/city would remove the ramps" kind of thing, rather than an actual site plan.

Great concept, great presentation, but personally, I would have liked a little less sizzle and a little more steak. I think I would have been more excited to learn more about the short-term plan for Lot J and see some detailed renders from Cordish than to see our third set of rearranged Shipyards renders. Would have also liked to know what the timetable was for assessing the condition of Lot J, and at what stage of development the garage would be necessary (3,000 spots over an existing retention pond would have to cost upward of $60 million).

Would also have liked a true update, maybe from Curry, on how and when the $25 million currently allocated for ramp removal will be used, as well as how and when Shipyards remediation would begin.

Hard to get too excited about anything south of the ramps when we're looking at 3+ years, best case scenario, before construction can even begin. Who knows what the market will look like at that time.

That said, the Cordish partnership is a genuinely huge, if expected, announcement.

Excellent post, Ken. Well put.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

martt12

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »
What’s supposed to be behind the Veterans Memorial Wall? I see buildings connected.

minder

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »
http://cordish.com/portfolio/jacksonville-sports-complex

Some better quality images and a tad more information on here. You can also see their other projects.

vicupstate

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
It sounds to me that no real progress has occurred and they just threw something together because this State of the Franchise event had rolled around again.

It is all based on the 'market'. Well the market is not deficient in any area: retail, residential, office or hospitality.

One thing that really stuck out: how is there going to be a Convention Center on this site AND one at the old courthouse? 

All that said, I give props to Khan for his comments on JEA.  I would have never expected that.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

KenFSU

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
More details:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/khans-new-neighborhood-dollar2-5-billion-vision-for-area-surrounding-stadium

Obviously a public-private partnership, with the city, Jags, and Cordish pitching in.

Encouraging to hear that Beyer, Blinder and Bell is responsible for the master plan.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:00:40 PM by KenFSU »