Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 33191 times)

KenFSU

Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:39:57 AM »
Interesting article ahead of Thursday's State of the Franchise event:

Khan’s vision for downtown development faces knotty challenges

The Jaguars’ “State of the Franchise” on Thursday will double as a “State of Downtown” for team owner Shad Khan.

The event will come one year after the Downtown Investment Authority picked Khan’s Iguana Investments Florida as the top choice to be master developer of Metropolitan Park and The Shipyards, two city-owned tracts of riverfront land across the street from the sports complex.

Since then, Khan has added Lot J, a large parking lot at the stadium, to the mix as a potential site for an entertainment district.

If history is a guide, the State of the Franchise will unveil eye-catching renderings of what Khan envisions for Lot J, Met Park and The Shipyards.

But complicated challenges stand in the way: contaminated soil at Lot J and The Shipyards, a National Park Service agreement that prevents private development on Met Park unless the city can find replacement park land elsewhere, and the continued hunt for money to tear down the Hart Bridge elevated ramps that run alongside Met Park...

Full story: http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180414/khans-vision-for-downtown-development-faces-knotty-challenges?start=2

Two interesting points:

1) There may be a way to safely develop Lot J as is.

2) The city has been in active talks recently with the National Park Service about opening up Metro Park for development.

Charles Hunter

Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
Given the disdain the current administration in DC has for the National Park Service, and their desire to develop all that wasted property, we may not have to provide any compensatory land for Metro Park.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
Given the disdain the current administration in DC has for the National Park Service, and their desire to develop all that wasted property, we may not have to provide any compensatory land for Metro Park.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on that being the case. Besides, what's wrong with having a nice urban park Downtown? Especially with Khan's currently proposed location connecting to Hogan Creek.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »

Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on that being the case. Besides, what's wrong with having a nice urban park Downtown? Especially with Khan's currently proposed location connecting to Hogan Creek.

Oh, I think we should replace Metro. I'm just opining that if the local GOP powers-that-be ask, they might get a favorable response.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:15:55 PM »
Oh, I think we should replace Metro. I'm just opining that if the local GOP powers-that-be ask, they might get a favorable response.

Fair.

jagsonville

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »
Lookin forward to Khan and company’s presentation on Thursday. I feel like Khan and Lamping will make this happen in the next two years and light a fire under under Sleiman to do something with the Landing.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
Lookin forward to Khan and company’s presentation on Thursday. I feel like Khan and Lamping will make this happen in the next two years and light a fire under under Sleiman to do something with the Landing.

Light a fire under Sleiman? Fair or unfair, my perception is that the city and/or Khan is trying to squeeze him out of the property.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »

Light a fire under Sleiman? Fair or unfair, my perception is that the city and/or Khan is trying to squeeze him out of the property.

I'd say that that ship has sailed and they're going to build their own entertainment center closer to the stadium and let Sleiman do whatever it is he wants with the Landing. 
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

copperfiend

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »
Its not listed in the article. But I noticed something in the schedule for this week that was tweeted out by the Jags PR guy.

It said Thursday, as part of the State of the Franchise, there would be a "Momentous Live Music Announcement".

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »
Its not listed in the article. But I noticed something in the schedule for this week that was tweeted out by the Jags PR guy.

It said Thursday, as part of the State of the Franchise, there would be a "Momentous Live Music Announcement".

You mean Styx and REO Speedwagon are coming back for a second show?!? Or is it somebody new? Kansas? URIAH HEEP!? Oh the anticipation!
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

pierre

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »
I don't want to play spoiler here but Buckcherry, P.O.D., Lit and Alien Ant Farm are going on tour together.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
I don't want to play spoiler here but Buckcherry, P.O.D., Lit and Alien Ant Farm are going on tour together.

I thought this was a joke, but it's very, very real. They're even calling it the "Gen X Tour". I guess "Hi Bored, I'm Dad Tour" was taken.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »

The Jags don't control the arena, just Daily's Place and Everbank Field.

I don't think anything at Daily's Place would classify as "momentous," just because it's only a 5,500 seat venue.

So I'm guessing it's either a big act at the stadium, or a festival at the stadium complex.

My guess, based on that criteria and Live Nation's partners, is Ed Sheeran.

He's doing a stadium tour in November, with only two stops in the southeast (Raymond James Stadium in Tampa on 11/7 and Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta on 11/10).

Gators312

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »

I thought this was a joke, but it's very, very real. They're even calling it the "Gen X Tour". I guess "Hi Bored, I'm Dad Tour" was taken.

Appropriate choice of Milwaukee to kick off this abomination. 

JBTripper

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
Why not incorporate the park land swap with the Emerald Necklace? Develop Met Park into a Four Seasons Hotel and Conference Center and create a Hogan's Creek park to serve as the centerpiece of the Emerald Necklace.