Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 71065 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #345 on: September 15, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Not many Cordish developments look like the Shipyards renderings with towers all over the place. None that I can think of in a metro of Jax's size.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
There's also the example of how the Jacksonville Regional Transportation Center went from this:

To this:

To this:

So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

MusicMan

« Reply #347 on: September 16, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
Should the Jags make a play for LeVeon Bell? Just as in his college career,  Fournette is always injured.

Bell on the other hand is reliable and undeniably the best RB in the NFL.

Just putting that out there. 

remc86007

« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Our backup RBs didn't suck today.

One of the most fun I've had at Jags game!

MusicMan

« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2018, 08:30:25 AM »
The O line is dramatically improved. There has never really been anything wrong with the back up RB's.  Our O line sucked up until last year.

Seriously, we whooped the Patriots with Fournette on the bench......

KenFSU

« Reply #350 on: October 04, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
Not sure what the implications are, but apparently the city is rezoning the entire Shipyards/Met Park/Lot J area as "central business district."

jaxnyc79

« Reply #351 on: October 04, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
Not sure what the implications are, but apparently the city is rezoning the entire Shipyards/Met Park/Lot J area as "central business district."

Can we now boast the largest central business district in Florida (in land area)?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: October 04, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »

I don't understand that. The entire stadium district is already part of the central business district.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #353 on: October 04, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »
That area also recently become an Opportunity Zone, so now there's an avenue for the private sector to invest capital gains money and eventually cash out without being taxed on it.

Opportunity zones: vital community development tool or tax windfall for the rich?
A little-noticed provision in Trump’s tax law could prove to be its most consequential
Full article: https://www.curbed.com/2018/10/3/17898370/opportunity-zones-tax-bill-community-development-capital-gains
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #354 on: October 04, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »

I don't understand that. The entire stadium district is already part of the central business district.

Not technically, in terms of zoning.

Per the city's GIS site, it looks like the area is mostly PUD (Planned Unit Development), PBF (Public Buildings and Facilities), and ROS (Recreation/Open Space).

Again, not technically sure what the implications are, but I heard that the city wants to rezone 100 acres in that vicinity.

Edit - Doing some quick Googling on zoning definitions, it sounds like PUD would be more restrictive than CBD in terms of density and uses. Somebody might be able to correct me, but I think PUD is primarily residential with density caps and limited mixed use primarily intended to complement the residential, while CBD eases those restrictions and allows full mixed use.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:36:03 PM by KenFSU »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #355 on: October 04, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
PUD is essentially a "one-off", which is a negotiation. PUDs really aren't ideal, and should be the exception in a city with a solid zoning coe.

I remember that some of the buildings like 11E and the Carling had to be PUDs because our zoning code at the time couldn't handle Mixed Use (maybe it does now)

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #356 on: October 04, 2018, 04:14:43 PM »
Isn't Miami's CBD extremely large as well? I used to live down there and Miami's downtown covers the old urban core, Brickell, the northside of downtown (don't know the name), and some of those islands I think in Biscayne Bay. I would bet that Jax's CBD is the largest I would believe. I believe something is up and going on with shipyards, met park and lot "J." Something real big for them to rezone those areas.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

KenFSU

« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »
With Wembley falling through, the Jags seem to be angling Lot J as an urgent necessity.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/10/18/jaguars-lot-j-could-show-progress-in-late-2018.html

KenFSU

« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2018, 08:42:49 PM »
Actually, here's the full clip of Mark Lamping's press conference yesterday, courtesy Dave Cawton at the Daily Record.

Really interesting, informal conversation where Lamping talks about Wembley, Lot J, whether the Jags want a new stadium, etc.

https://twitter.com/Davidcawton/status/1052959382206595072?s=20

Charles Hunter

« Reply #359 on: October 18, 2018, 08:51:49 PM »
So,  can we ink in JEA to Lot J as a "sure thing" now?