Author Topic: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018  (Read 71055 times)

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: Jaguars State of the Franchise 2018
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:20 PM »
So if a new convention center is built, does the take the place of the city building one? If so what then happens to Prime Osborn? And if I am JTA shouldnt I be thinking we need to get the skyway headed in this direction?

remc86007

« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2018, 11:18:54 PM »
They've more or less been thinking that for 20yrs haha

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »
^JTA wants driverless vehicles to replace the Skyway....
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »
So if a new convention center is built, does the take the place of the city building one? If so what then happens to Prime Osborn? And if I am JTA shouldnt I be thinking we need to get the skyway headed in this direction?

On the northbank alone, we've currently got plans for two convention centers.

Two Landings.

Two signature riverfront parks.

Two parking garages - one presumably 70 stories tall for Convention Center A, with 1,300 spaces in a shared two-block radius with a quarter million square foot convention center; and another, for Convention Center B, built on top of a lake with a garden for the roof.

Four competing hotels, built over 1) land where it's not safe to breathe, 2) a condemned parking lot, 3) non-existent Convention Center A (shit, better make that garage 90 stories tall), and 4) the shell of an abandoned condo tower where somebody died.

All connected by a complex network of clown-cars and a partially demolished highway overpass carrying pedestrians around the prison.

Jacksonville ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:58:57 PM by KenFSU »

Kerry

« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »

Two Landings.

Two parking garages - one presumably 70 stories tall for Convention Center A, with 1,300 spaces in a shared two-block radius with a quarter million square foot convention center; and another, for Convention Center B, built on top of a lake with a garden for the roof.

Four competing hotels, built over 1) land where it's not safe to breathe, 2) a condemned parking lot, 3) non-existent Convention Center A (shit, better make that garage 90 stories tall), and 4) the shell of an abandoned condo tower where somebody died.

All connected by a complex network of clown-cars and a partially demolished highway overpass carrying pedestrians around the prison.

Jacksonville ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That was an awesome summation.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2018, 09:18:35 AM »

Two Landings.

Jacksonville ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well said - there really doesn't seem to be a strategy here, does there?

vicupstate

« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
I had no idea John Peyton was head of the Chamber.

“I think that what we’ve needed in Jacksonville is a signature project that shows momentum, where somebody really puts their flag in the ground and says, ‘We’re making an investment, and we’re gonna take risks, because we believe there’s great potential.’ I think Shad Khan is the guy who’s willing to be bullish on Downtown and take steps that, quite frankly, we haven’t seen before at this magnitude.”

I see we are still counting on the silver bullet 'game changer' project to turn things around.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »
I had no idea John Peyton was head of the Chamber.

“I think that what we’ve needed in Jacksonville is a signature project that shows momentum, where somebody really puts their flag in the ground and says, ‘We’re making an investment, and we’re gonna take risks, because we believe there’s great potential.’ I think Shad Khan is the guy who’s willing to be bullish on Downtown and take steps that, quite frankly, we haven’t seen before at this magnitude.”

I see we are still counting on the silver bullet 'game changer' project to turn things around.

Meanwhile the private small to medium sized projects are the ones having the real impacts.

remc86007

« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
Yep. Downtown is definitely improving. Clearly too much attention and time is being spent on trying to get a "silver bullet" project going. I think we already have one: The Barnett building and the Laura street trio. I think they will be enough to spur significant organic growth. If I were the mayor, I would focus on getting as many of the vacant buildings in the core renovated and occupied as possible. What Vestcor is doing is what ultimately will lead to growth: getting people to live downtown.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »

Jacksonville ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The city of Jax has gone full "idiot".  Maybe we should start calling this place Special Jax.

vicupstate

« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
Yep. Downtown is definitely improving. Clearly too much attention and time is being spent on trying to get a "silver bullet" project going. I think we already have one: The Barnett building and the Laura street trio. I think they will be enough to spur significant organic growth. If I were the mayor, I would focus on getting as many of the vacant buildings in the core renovated and occupied as possible. What Vestcor is doing is what ultimately will lead to growth: getting people to live downtown.

Indeed. If Matt Carlucci had been elected instead of 'Big Ideas' John Peyton, JAX might be a lot further along toward DT vitality. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

civil42806

« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »

Indeed. If Matt Carlucci had been elected instead of 'Big Ideas' John Peyton, JAX might be a lot further along toward DT vitality. 

Hey I voted for Carlucci!!

KenFSU

« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »

In addition to the "game changer" silliness, the pure semantics of what we consider to be "downtown" baffles me.

You almost want to show these people a map.

Lot J is 17 blocks, and 1.3 miles from the CBD, and we constantly hear it discussed as a downtown game changer.

Meanwhile, four blocks to the west of the Landing, and barely a third of a mile walk along the riverwalk, is Brooklyn and the Times-Union property.

Do we ever talk about the Times-Union property or Vista Brooklyn as a potential downtown game changer?

Hell, keep walking, and Memorial Park is practically the same distance from the CBD as Lot J, but we certainly don't consider Memorial Park to be a downtown game-changer.

Even if Lot J is a huge success, let's call it what it is - creating a new neighborhood - rather than what it's not, downtown revitalization.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
^ I borrowed your quote and it has started some FB discussion. 
Doing some VERY rough google measuring, if you take out Market Street and make a giant old courthouse super block, you get ~204k square feet if the building fronts all sidewalks (not possible).  So you get 4-5 floors of parking with ground floor retail, space for some of the biggest freight elevators none to man, utilities, and other things thrown in, then you put 2-3 floors of exhibition space on top of that, then a hotel on top of half for another 5 floors.  You end up with a hideous monstrosity of a building that Berkman, Hyatt, and the city itself would be up in arms over.  I think they Hyatt courthouse dream died with the loss of the parking lot space.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #314 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
It works fine when combined with the Hyatt and it's meeting facilities. I seriously doubt it would need more than two floors. Everything flies out the window when trying to squeeze in what the DIA wanted in that RFP. Even if it could fit, I doubt Jax could support or afford it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali