Author Topic: Legacy Ale Works opening in Bartram  (Read 1355 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

remc86007

Re: Legacy Ale Works opening in Bartram
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »
I wish them luck. I know some people that live in NW St. Johns that have been hoping that a brewery would open closer to them. I worry that the reasons there aren't other breweries down there might be a stumbling block though; the lack of synergy from being near other breweries combined with the less urban type people that live around there might be an issue. I know I'm overgeneralizing, but my anecdotal experience is that the type of people that move to the suburbs (or whatever you call the explosion of stuff along Bartram Park) are less the IPA and Stout types and more the Bud and Miller types.

Another anecdote: Last time I was at one of the more suburban breweries, Wicked Barley, I noticed that more people there had sodas, tea, and wine than beer with their food. (It's more a restaurant/brewpub than a brewery). Very few people were just drinking beer. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but it makes me wonder if there really is enough consistent (Weeknight) demand for craft beer in suburbia.

RiversideRambler

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
I wish them luck. I know some people that live in NW St. Johns that have been hoping that a brewery would open closer to them. I worry that the reasons there aren't other breweries down there might be a stumbling block though; the lack of synergy from being near other breweries combined with the less urban type people that live around there might be an issue. I know I'm overgeneralizing, but my anecdotal experience is that the type of people that move to the suburbs (or whatever you call the explosion of stuff along Bartram Park) are less the IPA and Stout types and more the Bud and Miller types.

Another anecdote: Last time I was at one of the more suburban breweries, Wicked Barley, I noticed that more people there had sodas, tea, and wine than beer with their food. (It's more a restaurant/brewpub than a brewery). Very few people were just drinking beer. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but it makes me wonder if there really is enough consistent (Weeknight) demand for craft beer in suburbia.

As a future resident of Bartram Park, I'm offended by your generalization  ;D. This will be across the street from Brewz so maybe some momentum is building in the area.

I have plenty of friends in Riverside area who prefer domestic beer so I don't think the neighborhood necessarily plays a part of it. I would think a lease may be prohibitively expensive in most suburban strip malls for a craft beer package store or microbrewery that doesn't have a significant amount of capital behind it.

Personally, I'm just happy something local is coming to the area. Moving from Riverside/Murray Hill to that area will be a difficult transition!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »
I think it'll depend a lot on their business model and finding their niche. One the one hand, though the urban core is still the epicenter for craft beer locally, tastes are changing all over the city (and country). There are probably plenty of people in that area that would support a craft brewery, especially now while there's not a ton of competition for that kind of thing. On the other hand, unlike the breweries that are destinations for people from a much wider area, people probably aren't going to travel very far to get to this one, so they're really going to need to get the locals in. Sounds like they've got a pretty good idea of that, making it family friendly and all.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

funwithteeth

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »
I work in the area, so it's good to hear, but I hate when people bring children to bars/breweries. I understood why this business feels that's something they're going to have to cater to, however.

remc86007

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 01:03:30 PM »
^I agree about children, and I don't like dogs being at breweries either, but I know it's necessary to get business.

My generalizations are based on anecdotal experience, but I bet median age and toleration of hops are at least somewhat inversely correlated. Haha