Author Topic: Cool Projects in Other Cities  (Read 24017 times)

Kerry

Re: Cool Projects in Other Cities
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »
Strawberry Fields Master Development Plan

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

GSB Inc. was hired to create the Master Development Plan for Strawberry Fields. The development spans from Shartel Avenue to Hudson Avenue between Oklahoma City Boulevard and 7th Street. The drafted plan conceptual total of 8.8 million SF includes 515,000 SF of retail space, 1.3 million SF of office space, 3.8 million SF of residential area, and 890,000 SF of hotel space as well as planned parking for 6,800 vehicles.

Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
New Oklahoma City Convention Center

Fronting two blocks of S Robinson Avenue south of Chesapeake Energy Arena, the convention center will anchor a meeting, entertainment, transit and outdoor complex being developed at the intersection with the new Oklahoma City Boulevard.

• A 200,000-square-foot exhibit hall designed to be divided into four separate spaces.
• High-tech meeting rooms on three levels, totaling 45,000 square feet.
• A 30,000-square-foot, third-level ballroom. Glass doors opening to the outside will extend the ballroom to a balcony overlooking the park.

Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
I'm not a Sarasota appoligist but hells bells - if it sucks so bad and has this level of development then how bad must Jax suck?

It sucks because it's boring, full of old people, is really hot and muggy and lacks much in the way of personality. That's not to say they've not done stuff with the place - it's just not my cup of tea.

For example - some people would say that Buffalo, NY has undergone a renaissance and has shaken off the many decades of deterioration and funk that plagued the city. You still couldn't pay me to live there, though.

I get it, there are places I don't want to live either...but just dismissing urban progress because "I wouldn't want to live there" is totally missing the point.  If Sarasota, with all its faults, is generating this kind of development then clearly someone in City Hall has identified the problem and are taking steps to rectify it.  We need to be holding the City here accountable for their lack of progress as it relates to walkable urbanism - not dismissing progress in other places.  **** man, Omaha has 84 downtown and downtown adjacent projects geared towards walkable urbanism going on or recently completed.  We have are thumbs up our *** with low income housing while looking at pretty pictures from Khan.

http://www.omaha.com/money/more-than-dozen-development-projects-that-are-changing-the-nebraska/collection_9c41b0da-e7d0-11e6-b97a-17f4708285ab.html

Sorry...can you show where I 'dismissed urban progress'? I simply stated I didn't like Sarasota. You're reading way to much into this.

You'll note: I was responding to comments by KenFSU, thelakelander and avonjax

Adam White: My parents moved to Sarasota in 1995. They love it. I, on the other hand, can't stand it. The downtown and the bits near the water are okay, but overall it's just really boring and lacks any personality. And it's always hot and muggy.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:59:44 PM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2018, 05:13:23 PM »
Sorry Adam - that comment wasn't aimed directly at you.
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2018, 06:03:07 PM »
Sorry Adam - that comment wasn't aimed directly at you.

No worries.

For the record, I think Jax could - and should - do a lot more. I will say, however, that I was a bit impressed when I went back to visit in December. I don't get to visit too often and was surprised by how much better downtown and 5 Points looked. I think the city is making progress - it's just very, very slow and sometimes hard to notice. But it could be way better.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2018, 06:11:45 PM »
I want Jax to improve.  If that means calling a few strikes then so be it.  I'm not give Jax a participation trophy.  So anyhow, I think this horse has been beaten to death so back to the topic at hand.

Kerry, some of this reaction is because it's the kind of thing that folks who've lived in Jax a long time heard for literally decades. The people who say it often act like they're the first person to ever notice these criticisms, and dismiss positive news as inadequate, or based on boosterism. The reality is that this level of hypercritical negativity isn't any more realistic than the "everything is awesome" take. There are indeed a lot good things going on in Jax, including in the urban core, just like there are bad or disappointing things. The city looks a lot different than it did even 5 years ago, which wouldn't be happening if things were just at a perpetual standstill.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »
While there's a lot Jax can improve upon, the city is changing. I think you notice it more when you leave and spend less time in town. Since I've been working in Central Florida, every time I'm back in town and get to explore a bit, the improvements and changes stand out more. There's a reason 11,000 people have moved into Jax over the last year. Yes, most of that is probably in the Southside/Town Center/Bartram Park area but there's also quite a few infill projects in and around the urban core. They just aren't requiring tower cranes for their construction.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2018, 07:33:41 PM »
If suburban shopping centers float your boat then so be it.  My attention is focused on walkable urbanism in and around the core.  I couldn't care less what happens out on JTB.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »
Imagine what Rosslyn and the core of Arlington, VA or Dadeland in South Florida would look like today if no one cared about them enough to extend the Metro/Metrorail and modify land use around their stations 30 years ago. Overall, the idea of healthy sustainable cities is what floats my boat. IMO, your sprawling suburb of today can be another viable walkable node in your community, connected to the core with transit, good vision, coordination and utilization of resources. Doing so also gives you the benefit of preserving rural and natural areas, while spending less on infrastructure....which gives you more money for other quality of life investments. Ignoring everything but the core and how these places work with or against each can backfire to give you everything you despise about Jax. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
If you are waiting for a rail connection between SJTC and downtown good luck with that.  Jax would need a much stronger urban core than it has now.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
Lol no, I'm not. I'm realistic. I don't believe you'll see AV vehicles flying up and down the Skyway, on regular urban streets or a new river crossing anytime soon either.  I also believe Jax needs a much stronger urban core than it does now. I've never mentioned that it didn't.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »
I want Jax to improve.  If that means calling a few strikes then so be it.  I'm not give Jax a participation trophy.  So anyhow, I think this horse has been beaten to death so back to the topic at hand.

Kerry, some of this reaction is because it's the kind of thing that folks who've lived in Jax a long time heard for literally decades. The people who say it often act like they're the first person to ever notice these criticisms, and dismiss positive news as inadequate, or based on boosterism. The reality is that this level of hypercritical negativity isn't any more realistic than the "everything is awesome" take. There are indeed a lot good things going on in Jax, including in the urban core, just like there are bad or disappointing things. The city looks a lot different than it did even 5 years ago, which wouldn't be happening if things were just at a perpetual standstill.

I lived at the Peninsula in 2009/2010.  My options for food and beverage within walking distance back then were Sake House, Ruth's Chris, Chart House, and Dos Gatos & Local's bar.  A number of times I walked across the main street bridge to try and find food for dinner, only to walk back an hour later empty handed and with an empty stomach. 

The downtown/southbank environment is much much better now.  Bearded Pig, V-Pizza, Panera, La Nop (it moved a couple blocks closer), Aardwolf, Sidecar, Super Food & Brew, BG has better evening hours, Kazu, Volstead, etc....

That may not seem like "home runs" to you, but for a downtown resident that is a world of difference. 

Kerry

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
Oklahoma City Omni Hotel: $235 million

https://newsok.com/article/5578173/design-of-17-story-omni-hotel-unveiled

The 605-room hotel, along with a garage to be built by the city, is the last component yet to be seen by the public in the Core to Shore plan to transform a blighted swath of land between downtown and the Oklahoma River.

Rule said a three-story podium building that stretch the entire block will feature restaurants, a sports bar, coffee shop, outdoor dining and shopping facing Robinson Avenue and the future Oklahoma City Boulevard.

Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
Oklahoma City Scissortail Park

https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-3/projects/downtown-public-park

Quick facts
•Project budget: $132 million
•Construction: Under way on the north section with scheduled completion in 2019; South section scheduled completion in 2021.
•Size: 40-acre north section, 30-acre south section.
•Location: The north section of the park extends from the new Oklahoma City Boulevard south to Interstate 40, and from S Hudson Avenue east to S Robinson Avenue. The south section is bordered on the north by I-40, extending south to SW 10 between S Walker Avenue and Robinson, and to SW 15 between S Harvey Avenue and Robinson.

Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2018, 05:55:47 PM »
Oklahoma City: Santa Fe Station improvements to continue

Published:

A $2,287,250 contract to continue the work of transforming Oklahoma City's historic Santa Fe Station into an intermodal transit hub was approved Monday by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission. The contract is part of a $28.4 million project to renovate the downtown 1930s-era train station and convert it to a transit hub to serve passenger trains, a new streetcar system, city buses, a bicycle sharing service, taxis and ride-sharing services. The transit hub is located at 100 South E.K. Gaylord, between Sheridan and Reno avenues.

https://youtu.be/sD7fnjg1giA

Third Place