Author Topic: Cool Projects in Other Cities  (Read 24032 times)

KenFSU

Re: Cool Projects in Other Cities
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
Sorry folks but we are falling so far behind Orlando and Tampa we may never catch up. Oh well. And the Sarasota project looks really great but not Jacksonville? Oh well. Maybe someday.
As far as Sarasota goes....meh. Cool little city but it's really small and sucks if you care about cultural diversity.

Plus very few jobs.

Great if you're a wealthy retiree looking for a winter home and some beautiful beaches, lifeless if you're a young professional looking for a place to establish a career and raise a family.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 05:05:19 AM »
Sorry folks but we are falling so far behind Orlando and Tampa we may never catch up. Oh well. And the Sarasota project looks really great but not Jacksonville? Oh well. Maybe someday.
As far as Sarasota goes....meh. Cool little city but it's really small and sucks if you care about cultural diversity.

Plus very few jobs.

Great if you're a wealthy retiree looking for a winter home and some beautiful beaches, lifeless if you're a young professional looking for a place to establish a career and raise a family.

My parents moved to Sarasota in 1995. They love it. I, on the other hand, can't stand it. The downtown and the bits near the water are okay, but overall it's just really boring and lacks any personality. And it's always hot and muggy.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2018, 08:09:55 AM »
Lol - Sarasota is boring and no good paying jobs.  Sounds like a lot of complaints I hear about Jax.

I think this might apply to the Sarasota topic.

Æsop. (Sixth century B.C.)  Fables.
The Harvard Classics.  1909–14.

The Fox and the Grapes

ONE hot summer’s day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. “Just the things to quench my thirst,” quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.”

“IT IS EASY TO DESPISE WHAT YOU CANNOT GET.”
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:13:16 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »
Lol - Sarasota is boring and no good paying jobs.  Sounds like a lot of complaints I hear about Jax.

The Fox and the Grapes

ONE hot summer’s day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. “Just the things to quench my thirst,” quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.”

Yeah, I remember that fable from elementary school.

I also remember Sarasota from my annual visits. Trust me - I'd choose Jax over Sarasota all day long. In fact, I did. That's not to say that Jax is perfect or whatever - it's just more the kind of place I'd rather live.

I do love Tampa, though.

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »
Where they'll never match us (well at least Orlando) is history and the built environment that comes with being a decent sized city before WWII. We have neighborhoods and historic commercial strips that Orlando will never be able to have.

Never say never.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/business-development/main-street-market-street/
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
Never!! I'm living part time in Orlando now. I'm not impressed with its historic built environment. While there are some cool areas it's no comparison to what you can find in Jax and Tampa.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »
Winter Park and Rollins College area is pretty darn nice.  Jax has nothing like that.  Not really a fan of Orlando myself though.
Third Place

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »
Jax could use some shaming - and a lot of it, because nothing else seems to be working.

This comment made me laugh out loud. Jax had nothing but shaming for decades. If that really worked, we'd be New York City by now.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »

Plus very few jobs.

Plus very few jobs.

My parents moved to Sarasota in 1995. They love it. I, on the other hand, can't stand it. The downtown and the bits near the water are okay, but overall it's just really boring and lacks any personality. And it's always hot and muggy.

My father in law lives in Punta Gorda. Sarasota is pretty nice compared to the rest of Southwest Florida, and I'm sure it's great if you're a retiree who wants to live mostly around other retirees. It has a few cool pockets, but very little you can't find elsewhere.

I haven't been in years but I remember the aquarium being pretty cool.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »

The Fox and the Grapes

I also remember Sarasota from my annual visits. Trust me - I'd choose Jax over Sarasota all day long. In fact, I did. That's not to say that Jax is perfect or whatever - it's just more the kind of place I'd rather live.

I do love Tampa, though.

The people who find Jax boring or that it has no good paying jobs would find Sarasota to be a whole new circle of hell after about 2 days.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
Never!! I'm living part time in Orlando now. I'm not impressed with its historic built environment. While there are some cool areas it's no comparison to what you can find in Jax and Tampa.

Orlando has its pockets (College Park and Winter Park are nice). They've also done a good job making their downtown more lively than it used to be IMO. Considering that it's competing with the mouse and all that I-4 sprawl, they're a good example of making the most of limited resources. I say that as someone who really doesn't like Orlando.

KenFSU

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »

The Fox and the Grapes

I do love Tampa, though.

The people who find Jax boring or that it has no good paying jobs would find Sarasota to be a whole new circle of hell after about 2 days.

Agree. I've got family in Southwest Florida as well, and have spent an enormous amount of time in Sarasota. It's lovely, if generic, aside from the beaches, which are some of the best in the state. But it has no character. Most of the jobs there are retail and hospitality. I've had multiple friends take jobs with Wells Fargo down there, and their spouses - who were in high demand in Jacksonville with degrees from top universities in fields like marketing, advertising, biomed, and engineering - haven't been able to find decent jobs because the market is so small.

Happy that there's a billion dollar development going up in Sarasota, but not particularly jealous. Let them keep the retirees and snowbirds, clogging up the roads and restaurants and then disappearing at the end of the season.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »

The Fox and the Grapes

I do love Tampa, though.

Life is sloooooow down there. It has its scenic bits, but god is it dull. And yeah - Jax is way better for jobs.

Kerry

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2018, 10:56:32 AM »
A bunch of Jax appoligist on a site that is supposed to be leading the way for urbanization.  No wonder the City Council and Mayor's office don't get anything done.  If the supposed fanaticals aren't even fanatic why should anyone be?
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
A bunch of Jax appoligist on a site that is supposed to be leading the way for urbanization.  No wonder the City Council and Mayor's office don't get anything done.  If the supposed fanaticals aren't even fanatic why should anyone be?

I'm not a "Jax apologist" - I just think Sarasota sucks. Why are you being a Sarasota apologist?