Author Topic: Cool Projects in Other Cities  (Read 24025 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Cool Projects in Other Cities
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 05:03:22 PM »
^ Saw that.  That's insane.  If it goes well, maybe we can get them to take a stab at something here. 

jagsonville

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »
Too bad a local company didn’t look into the old Southside generation station... :o

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 08:21:08 PM »
A Jacksonville developer just broke ground on a $1 billion dollar urban, mixed-use development... in Sarasota.

Jacksonville-based GreenPointe starts work on $1 billion Sarasota project

It’s the first urban, mixed-use project for master developer.

by: Daily Record Staff

Four years after buying a 15-acre waterfront site in downtown Sarasota for $27 million, Jacksonville-based GreenPointe Communities LLC’s  infrastructure work is underway on the project.

The $1 billion mixed-use Quay Sarasota Waterfront District will comprise about 700 residences, 175 hotel rooms and more than 200,000 square feet of office and retail space.

“It’s been a little more than three years in the making to get us to this day,” said GreenPointe Communities President Grady Miars at a May 23 groundbreaking. “This site provides an excellent opportunity to do what we think we do well, which is create a sense of place.”

Miars said GreenPointe is concerned that the economy might turn down before the project is complete, but that the Quay’s “grid system” should buffer against recession.

“The block plan that we’ve developed for the property allows us to do infrastructure work and bring projects on incrementally, if necessary,” he said. “So if the economy were to slow down at some point, we also could slow down our pace of development there.”

Miars said the project — GreenPointe’s first urban, mixed-use development following a series of single-family communities around the state — likely won’t reach build-out until 2023 or as late as 2025.

The groundbreaking initiates the start of water, sewer and utility construction including a storm treatment vault and basic road structure that will serve the Quay Sarasota Waterfront District and the Sarasota Downtown Bayfront District.

“Since acquiring the property, we have been working with Sarasota city leaders to design and create a sense of place that will make a lasting contribution to the Sarasota community,” Miars said in a news release.

GreenPointe Communities is collaborating with students from Sarasota’s Booker High School STEM program on the project.

The goal is to provide students real-world experience in the planning, design and construction of the development.

GreenPointe Communities in  Northeast Florida include TrailMark and EvenTide in St. Johns County and Amelia Walk in Fernandina Beach.

In August, GreenPointe purchased 188 acres in northwest Clay County to build a 500-home master-planned community called GreyHawk.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jacksonville-based-greenpointe-starts-work-on-dollar1-billion-sarasota-project

Ritz-Carlton just signed on to build an 18-story condo tower within the development.

That's Ed Burr's company. When he had LandMar, he tried to pull off the Shipyards.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
Currently in Nashville... construction literally everywhere... amazing...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

vicupstate

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »

Well Nashville is consolidated with Davidson County, so I guess that means all the construction you are seeing is in the suburban areas? We all know consolidation is poison for development in the urban core.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 06:15:27 PM »

Well Nashville is consolidated with Davidson County, so I guess that means all the construction you are seeing is in the suburban areas? We all know consolidation is poison for development in the urban core.
Apparently not in Nashville...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

vicupstate

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 10:46:58 PM »

Apparently not in Nashville...

I was being snarky. The ONLY place where people blame consolidation for such things is JAX.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

I-10east

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 03:34:09 AM »
So this is going to be the thread of shame, isn't it?

My thoughts exactly. Let's all try not to get too depressed in here, folks.

I don't feel that way at all. I'm just like "great for all of these cities" without any envy or depression at all. Some of these projects are very comparable to Jax (past and future projects). Like what's going on at the sports complex. Of course everyone wanna act like Jax has NO NEW DEVELOPMENT AT ALL and that's clearly not the case. 

Kerry

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 01:20:57 PM »
Jax could use some shaming - and a lot of it, because nothing else seems to be working.
Third Place

avonjax

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 03:27:58 PM »
Sorry folks but we are falling so far behind Orlando and Tampa we may never catch up. Oh well. And the Sarasota project looks really great but not Jacksonville? Oh well. Maybe someday.

Kiva

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »
Jacksonville will be a fantastic city with lots of cool projects like these...around the time that nuclear fusion is commercially viable!

Charles Hunter

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
Jacksonville will be a fantastic city with lots of cool projects like these...around the time that nuclear fusion is commercially viable!

And the generating plants are located on barges surrounded by artificial reefs.

billy

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
Westinghouse Tenneco Offshore Power Systems shout out!

Kerry

Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »
Sorry folks but we are falling so far behind Orlando and Tampa we may never catch up. Oh well. And the Sarasota project looks really great but not Jacksonville? Oh well. Maybe someday.

If talking about "new" urban development, we fell behind Tampa and Orlando back in the 1990s.  I wouldn't worry about catching them because that's not happening. As far as Sarasota goes....meh. Cool little city but it's really small and sucks if you care about cultural diversity.

Where they'll never match us (well at least Orlando) is history and the built environment that comes with being a decent sized city before WWII. We have neighborhoods and historic commercial strips that Orlando will never be able to have. We have architectural styles and a setting that Tampa will never have. These are things we should be valuing and taking advantage of. Anyone can build a stick built apartment complex and stick a ramen bar in it. However, only a select few have a Barnett, Laura Trio, Durkeeville, Springfield Warehouse District, Talleyrand, Hogans Creek, etc. to play with.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:23:22 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali