Author Topic: Cool Projects in Other Cities  (Read 24070 times)

KenFSU

Cool Projects in Other Cities
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »
Going to make a catch-all thread for interesting projects in other cities.

Atlanta's planning a $100 million expansion of Piedmont Park:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/1/2/16835620/piedmont-park-expansion-monroe-drive?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_feed%3BBJ63oxzDRaedwmAgFf1UQQ%3D%3D

KenFSU

Re: Cool Projects in Other Cities
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
360 Market Square in Indianapolis is another cool project.

Built on the site of the former Market Square Arena, the 26-story mixed use project combines residential and a 42,000 square foot Whole Foods.

Also interesting that even in a city like Indianapolis, that we think of as being light years ahead of Jacksonville in terms of downtown development, still needed to subsidize the project to the tune of $5 million in free land and $17 million in TIF funding.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/65713-after-overcoming-abundance-of-obstacles-360-market-square-nears-completion

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »
Grand Rapids is turning a surface parking lot behind their sports/concert arena into a massive hotel/apartment/retail/movie theater complex. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/08/studio_park_movie_complex_comi.html

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 11:28:55 PM »
So this is going to be the thread of shame, isn't it?

I really hope we'll be able to take lessons from some of these other cities and apply it here.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:00:03 PM »
I am really amazed how much Atlanta has changed in just ten years since I left there!

JaxAvondale

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
I’ll be in Indianapolis in a few weeks. I’ll have to check out the site.

BenderRodriguez

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:15:41 AM »
So this is going to be the thread of shame, isn't it?

My thoughts exactly. Let's all try not to get too depressed in here, folks.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »
The Orlando Magic's entertainment complex that's currently under construction in Downtown Orlando:

The city also gave 10.9 acres valued at $14.9 million to UCF last year to bring a college campus and nearly 8,000 students to downtown. That project is called Creative Village:

UCF/Valencia Downtown Campus Broke Ground on May 11, 2017
The University of Central Florida, Valencia College, City of Orlando and Creative Village Development, LLC broke ground on the new Downtown Campus on May 11, 2017. The first phase of the Downtown Campus includes:

A $60 million, 148,000-square foot academic building named the Dr. Phillips Academic Commons, designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects (RAMSA) and SchenkelShultz Architecture; to be completed in August 2019. 
 $5 million renovation to the UCF Center for Emerging Media (CEM) and Florida Entertainment Academy (FIEA building; to be completed in August 2019.
A $9 million, 600-space parking garage and a tri-generation utility plant; to be completed in August 2019.
A $105 million, 600-bed privately developed student housing project with 105,000 SF of education space leased to UCF and Valencia College, 12,000 SF of ground floor commercial and a 600-space integrated parking garage; to be completed August 2019.

Phase I of the UCF/Valencia Downtown Campus will bring over 7,700 students to downtown Orlando when it opens August 2019, with future plans to accommodate 10,000 - 15,000+ students. Many community leaders attended the groundbreaking celebration, including Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs, UCF Provost Dr. Dale Whittaker, Valencia College President Dr. Sandy Shugart, former President of the Florida Senate Andy Gardiner, former Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives Steve Crisafulli, Orlando District 5 Commissioner Regina Hill, UCF Board of Trustees Chairman Marcos Marchena, and Dr. Phillips Charities President Ken Robinson.

http://creativevillageorlando.com/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BenderRodriguez

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »

The city also gave 10.9 acres valued at $14.9 million to UCF last year to bring a college campus and nearly 8,000 students to downtown. That project is called Creative Village:

With the new influx of housing in LaVilla, also with JU and FSCJ making investments and moves downtown. Wouldn't be advantageous for UNF to pursue a campus of this type in the area (LaVilla) as well?

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
With the new influx of housing in LaVilla, also with JU and FSCJ making investments and moves downtown. Wouldn't be advantageous for UNF to pursue a campus of this type in the area (LaVilla) as well?

There've been calls for UNF to do this, but so far it hasn't been clear that they actually want to. So far they've chosen to focus on their main campus while FSCJ has been driving some change downtown.

Besides, I don't know if UNF is ready to spend $180 million on not just campus improvements, but building a new campus entirely.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:07:47 PM »

There've been calls for UNF to do this, but so far it hasn't been clear that they actually want to. So far they've chosen to focus on their main campus while FSCJ has been driving some change downtown.

Besides, I don't know if UNF is ready to spend $180 million on not just campus improvements, but building a new campus entirely.

Agreed.  It MIGHT make sense if (a) UNF was out of space to build/expand (not even close to that) or (b) there was a new college being created at the university where being downtown or on the riverfront made it practical to be there.  There has to be something for them to gain to actually move or expand to another location and I don't see ANY for them to do that.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »
The city of Flint, Michigan is forging ahead on its plan to restore the Flint Riverfront. It includes turning the old 'Chevy in the Hole' site (former manufacturing site and current brownfield) into a large park, replacing a dam with a series of small weirs (7 total it seems) that allow kayakers and fish to navigate the river. Additionally it turns the old railroad through the site into a trail and replaces almost all of the old Flint Waterworks (park with a lot of concrete aqueducts and water features) with more greenery. Part of Chevy in the Hole has already been turned into a park called Chevy Commons and the dam removal should take place this year.

I went to college in Flint so I'm eager to see the city make strides like this. Chevy in the Hole is a giant concrete pad basically and the river's banks are steep concrete slabs. It'll be great to see these eyesores gone.

Finding a good site plan is difficult as it seems to be changing every year, but this one has Chevy Commons as it is now:

River access downtown as well:

Flint River Corridor Alliance:
http://www.frcalliance.org/frrp/

The contractor's master plan (which differs a bit):
http://www.wadetrim.com/hamilton_dam/reports/Flint-Riverfront-Restoration-Plan.pdf

TLDR news article via MLive:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2017/05/downtown_flint_river_landscape.html

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:27 PM »
The city of Flint, Michigan is forging ahead on its plan to restore the Flint Riverfront. It includes turning the old 'Chevy in the Hole' site (former manufacturing site and current brownfield) into a large park, replacing a dam with a series of small weirs (7 total it seems) that allow kayakers and fish to navigate the river. Additionally it turns the old railroad through the site into a trail and replaces almost all of the old Flint Waterworks (park with a lot of concrete aqueducts and water features) with more greenery. Part of Chevy in the Hole has already been turned into a park called Chevy Commons and the dam removal should take place this year.

I went to college in Flint so I'm eager to see the city make strides like this. Chevy in the Hole is a giant concrete pad basically and the river's banks are steep concrete slabs. It'll be great to see these eyesores gone.

Finding a good site plan is difficult as it seems to be changing every year, but this one has Chevy Commons as it is now:

River access downtown as well:

Flint River Corridor Alliance:
http://www.frcalliance.org/frrp/

The contractor's master plan (which differs a bit):
http://www.wadetrim.com/hamilton_dam/reports/Flint-Riverfront-Restoration-Plan.pdf

TLDR news article via MLive:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2017/05/downtown_flint_river_landscape.html

That looks awesome.  Any ideas of completion time?  I'd love to kayak that when I go back to Michigan to visit.  Kettering grad?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 06:38:41 AM »
Water Street Tampa

Tampa is on the precipice of a bold transformation. More than 50 acres in the heart of downtown will become Water Street Tampa, a truly mixed-use neighborhood developed by Strategic Property Partners, LLC.

Water Street Tampa will create 2 million square feet of new office space, including downtown Tampa’s first new office towers in nearly 25 years.

Approximately 3,500 new rental and for-sale residences are planned to nearly double the number of housing units available within downtown Tampa.

Water Street Tampa is surrounded by existing cultural, entertainment, and community anchors including the Tampa Convention Center, Amalie Arena where the Tampa Bay Lightning play, Tampa Bay History Center, Florida Aquarium, and Tampa Riverwalk. The project will connect these community anchors to a network of new and enhanced public areas.

An active pedestrian experience is at the heart of the design – Water Street Tampa will add 1 million square feet of new retail, cultural, educational, and entertainment space at the street-level, as well as 12.9 acres of new and enhanced park and public gathering places.

Water Street Tampa will host two new hotels with over 650 new rooms, including the city’s first 5-star hotel. A $40 million renovation to the existing Marriott Waterside is also planned.

The University of South Florida will relocate the Morsani College of Medicine and Health Heart Institute to Water Street Tampa, opening to students in the fall of 2019.

Water Street Tampa will set a new standard for wellness and sustainability as the world’s first WELL-certified community under the WELL Community Standard.

Water Street Tampa is a vibrant vision for the future of our city and for the 23,000+ people who live, work, study, and visit Tampa Bay each day.

https://waterstreettampa.com/

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:11 AM »
That looks awesome.  Any ideas of completion time?  I'd love to kayak that when I go back to Michigan to visit.  Kettering grad?

The Flint River Corridor Alliance's web-page for Chevy Commons breaks up the Chevy in the Hole site into 6 phases, with Phase 1 (maybe 2 as well?) being the only one completed at the moment. No idea if the dam removal this year also includes the building of the man made rapids. I would guess this is a 10 year or so project completed as funding becomes available. And yes, Kettering grad.