Author Topic: RFP Proposed for Convention Center  (Read 8861 times)

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: RFP Proposed for Convention Center
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
I agree with Haskell on this. I hope that the DIA would be willing to seriously consider proposals that also take advantage of the Hyatt for hotel, meeting and garage space. That would dramatically drop the cost, strengthen existing business and allow space for other uses....increasing the chances of project feasibility.

His rendering sucks though - he's proposing demolishing a two story perfect building for a parking garage. Though, I think it's old.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
I wouldn't follow his rendering. Those responding to an RFP should be able to come up with their own designs for the courthouse property. However, a proposal that does not include another hotel or duplication of the Hyatt's spaces should not be viewed as a negative. It's actually more realistic.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
That's fair. I do personally like the additional hotel but I don't think the plan would fail without it. The other thing - I'd like to know what percentage of America's conventions could fit in 200k, plus what the Hyatt has.

For example, I was looking at the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando....I was thinking maybe that could fit in 200k SqFt - WRONG! That thing takes up the whole West Concourse of the Orange County Convention Center which is a shade over 1 Million SqFt. There's only a few convention Centers in America that can hold that!

My point is - does a 200k Exhibition space get us in the running for 90% of conventions? 80%? What's that number?

downtownbrown

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
the rendering shows new construction over the river where the parking lot is currently being taken down.  Hope that doesn't happen.

If the Berkman 2 actually becomes a Marriott as is rumored, it bolsters the argument to NOT add new rooms to the convention center.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
My point is - does a 200k Exhibition space get us in the running for 90% of conventions? 80%? What's that number?

In a previous study (like a decade ago now), it was mentioned that the Prime Osborn was large enough for just 5% of all conventions in the US. It also said that an increase to a 250,000 square foot exhibition hall would increase that figure to 60%.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
the rendering shows new construction over the river where the parking lot is currently being taken down.  Hope that doesn't happen.

Hot planning!

It's not like the city has an existing multi-million dollar contract to reconfigure the riverwalk around the former parking deck.

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
The rendering shown was done in 2011. There was no plan to demolish the parking lot back then.

KenFSU

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
^Oh, I was more generally referencing the Times-Union's assertion that the section of Coastline currently being demolished and reconfigured is fair game for a future convention center.

Seems like a waste to rebuild the Riverwalk around that open water and then potentially knock it down and rebuild over the river again.

Then again, the alternative isn't much better - letting it sit fenced off for five years while we figure out what/if/when we want to do.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

KenFSU

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »
Looks like the convention center project is officially open to bids.

Some new details:

- The RFP will be open for three months (August 1st closing)

- At minimum, responses must allow for 350 hotel rooms, 200,000 square feet of public exhibition space, a 40,000-square-foot ballroom, 45 breakout and meeting rooms, and a full-service restaurant. Retail, additional dining, and potential boat slips and a marina have been requested as well.

- Responses must also include a parking garage with at least 1,700 spaces.

- Per the DIA, public incentives will likely be offered, such as "property tax incentives, fees for food, lodging and entertainment, the contribution of land and site preparation in the form of infrastructure, streetscaping or public green space."

- Two month evaluation period, with a shortlist (up to 3 firms) coming around the first of November.

- Presentations from short-listed firms would follow, with the winner working the DIA and City Council on an economic development agreement.

- Once the economic development agreement is in place, the Hyatt next door would be given right of first refusal, presumably to match the offer.

- Jacksonville Historical Preservation Committee gave the green light yesterday for the old Courthouse and Annex to come down, once the city chooses who to contract.

All info via the Daily Record:
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/dia-seeking-proposals-from-firms-interested-in-developing-a-new-convention-center-downtown

RatTownRyan

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
The one thing I don’t understand is the Hyatt’s first right of refusal if the city wants to sell the property. Does this mean that after the city selects someone to build the convention center that Hyatt can put there foot down and say “no we want to buy the property now”? If that is the case don’t we risk losing months of hard work from all parties involved. Can some elaborate on this?

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
I seem to remember that the Hyatt's first right of refusal isn't a new thing - like its been a thing for a while as the Courthouse/City Hall's days were numbered when the Hyatt (then Adam's Mark) broke ground, but I could be wrong.

I mean, there are certain advantages that the Hyatt naturally has (which also benefit the city) being next door, because one large facility could be developed.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2018, 12:31:57 PM »
Do bidders, at least the short-list, get a stipend, if Hyatt exercises their option? It is expensive to prepare a presentation like this. And how long does Hyatt have to act on their option? That is, if Hyatt  takes the option, do they have to break ground within "X" months, or it reverts to the selected team?  Are there performance milestones - either for Hyatt, or the selected team?

jaxnyc79

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2018, 01:46:58 PM »
I'm highly skeptical a serious bid even comes in.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »
Inb4 Noah's ark convention center

KenFSU

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »
I'm highly skeptical a serious bid even comes in.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm confident that there will be at least one bidder.

Based on Curry's recent history with things like the Hart Bridge ramps and the potential JEA sale, I find it impossible to believe that he'd prioritize $40 million in spending for the area (Coastline + Courthouse/Annex demolition) if he hasn't already had some pretty talks with someone about developing the property. The urgency from the mayor to get this one specific parcel ready for development seems like a tell to me.

Iguana's still my best guess, but I guess we'll find out on August 1st.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:07:52 PM by KenFSU »