Author Topic: Hobnob Closing  (Read 1539 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
Re: Hobnob Closing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
Surprised it took this long.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
Looks like dead roaches and mold were the final nail...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

DTJAXEYE

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »
Wonder where Cowford Chop House will be in 18 months... Oh, Wait, its a vanity restaurant!

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
Wonder where Cowford Chop House will be in 18 months... Oh, Wait, its a vanity restaurant!

What's a vanity restaurant?

Noone

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:04:32 AM »

+1

ben says

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:12:35 AM »

+1

I think a vanity restaurant is DTJAXEYE´s poor attempt at some (really weird) humor...ie, you go to Cowford to show off, see and be seen, and spend a lot of money (without getting a quality meal).

That´s what I got from the term, but from what I understand about the place and how it´s run - not to mention their food - vanity restaurant definitely wouldn´t apply here  ;)
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Dapperdan

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
Those spaces, for now at least, would be better served by a Panera type restaurant. If you want to tap into the residents above you, you need something a bit more they can help support you too.

KenFSU

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »

+1

I think a vanity restaurant is DTJAXEYE´s poor attempt at some (really weird) humor...ie, you go to Cowford to show off, see and be seen, and spend a lot of money (without getting a quality meal).

That´s what I got from the term, but from what I understand about the place and how it´s run - not to mention their food - vanity restaurant definitely wouldn´t apply here  ;)

I think he actually meant that Cowford Chophouse was a vanity project for Jacques Klempf, as it could take decades to ROI on the millions he poured into the restoration of the building.

I admire Klempf's civic pride.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:01:20 AM »

+1

I think he actually meant that Cowford Chophouse was a vanity project for Jacques Klempf, as it could take decades to ROI on the millions he poured into the restoration of the building.

I admire Klempf's civic pride.

I do too. I had a chance to interview Klempf on a different topic and talked a bit about the restaurant. It was very clear it was a passion project and matter of civic pride for him. We need more like him.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

remc86007

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »

+1

Ironically, that definition more accurately describes the vision for Hobnob than Cowford. The name alone betrays it as a wannabe "vanity restaurant." Haha

Personal anecdote: My wife and I twice considered trying Hobnob for after dinner drinks. One time we got as far as parking in the 5 star gravel lot behind the building and walking up to the pond next to it (which was devoid of pedestrians). Before entering we checked the wine list and appetizers. Both times we decided that for the amount of money we'd be spending we'd rather sit on the rooftop of Blacksheep and drink our wine than view the cement pond outside Hobnob.