Author Topic: Greyhound bus station sold for $2.78 million  (Read 25233 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Greyhound bus station sold for $2.78 million
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
Isn't a big part of the problem with high construction costs in DT JAX simply that 1) few properties are on the market and 2) what properties there are   are overpriced for where DT is and the properties condition 3) a large inventory of properties are city owned and unavailable. 

Obviously if that is the case, the city could simply put some of its properties on the market at a competitive price.
I've always felt that the city has so much land, it could resolve the gap by offering its holdings at a competitive rate. For whatever reason it does not, making itself a stumbling block for its own revitalization dreams. The DIA board's recent decision to sit on a long vacant building in LaVilla, because the real market won't pay their desired asking price, is a perfect example of the problem.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »
The city should put at a map of ALL the land it owns (and isn't using) in the entire DT area and invite proposals for ANY and ALL parcels. 

No minimum price, bidder just includes that in the proposal.  See what comes back. At least that would tell them what parcels the market desires most, evne if you declined them all. If you get multiple offers for the same parcel(s), then rank them based on price, 20 year tax return based on the project, and snergy potential with what is already in that location.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2018, 05:36:35 PM »
The city should put at a map of ALL the land it owns (and isn't using) in the entire DT area and invite proposals for ANY and ALL parcels. 

No minimum price, bidder just includes that in the proposal.  See what comes back. At least that would tell them what parcels the market desires most, evne if you declined them all. If you get multiple offers for the same parcel(s), then rank them based on price, 20 year tax return based on the project, and snergy potential with what is already in that location.

This. Save for parcels that are of a legit use (City Hall, Ed Ball, Hemming, etc. NOT that POC Main St Park Peyton had to have) toss them all out there. If the bids suck then they suck....maybe it will wake them up to the true value.

The existing landowners might be pissed, but it could help to more accurately price the land downtown.

JaxVision

« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »
I think this location could be a great farmers market type place like Grand Central Market in DT Los Angeles or The Anaheim Packing District in Anaheim, Ca. It could also as some have mentioned become a great spot for residential units with a plaza or mixed use on the bottom level...you could even build residential with a small packing district type place..

This last thing I have is not about the greyhound but the Doro District, (sorry to ask about a off topic) I just couldn't find a thread about any new development going on in that area of DT. Has the bowling alley and other mixed use developments stalled or will they break ground this year? Thanks.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »
Not really sure why it took the city this long to catch on that he was doing a parking lot....

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-wants-to-know-why-old-greyhound-site-is-a-parking-lot

Captain Zissou

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »
Not really sure why it took the city this long to catch on that he was doing a parking lot....

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/city-wants-to-know-why-old-greyhound-site-is-a-parking-lot

I'm sure they were doing thorough due diligence.

acme54321

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »
I'm shocked  ::)

Charles Hunter

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
Chain it shut.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »
Lol are we watching a circus? The owner was quoted months ago that he was demolishing the building to use as a parking lot for the foreseeable future. Who cares whether it's an empty grass field or paved lot, the big problem is allowing demolition to take place so easy.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Papa33

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2019, 10:18:28 AM »
The City plays the stooge to everyone.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
That's that "expertise" at DIA for you.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »
Lol are we watching a circus? The owner was quoted months ago that he was demolishing the building to use as a parking lot for the foreseeable future. Who cares whether it's an empty grass field or paved lot, the big problem is allowing demolition to take place so easy.

I guess the theory behind the Downtown Overlay prohibiting this was to eliminate the economics of demolishing a building so the land owner could then sell parking and make money. But, the way this was handled was nuts. Lori Boyer, you listening?

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2019, 11:04:35 AM »
Honestly, it's all starting to become comical at this point.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »
I think this location could be a great farmers market type place like Grand Central Market in DT Los Angeles or The Anaheim Packing District in Anaheim, Ca. It could also as some have mentioned become a great spot for residential units with a plaza or mixed use on the bottom level...you could even build residential with a small packing district type place..

This last thing I have is not about the greyhound but the Doro District, (sorry to ask about a off topic) I just couldn't find a thread about any new development going on in that area of DT. Has the bowling alley and other mixed use developments stalled or will they break ground this year? Thanks.

Don't get your hopes up on any of what you mentioned above. Anything of substance that could be seen has beneficial for DT Jax is out the window at this point in my mind.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
This has got to be one of the dumbest things I have seen from the city yet and that's really saying something! Unfortunately this is the future of all the buildings the city has recently razed. It's like we have learned nothing for the other 100 buildings that have been torn down and turned into parking lots over the last 50 years...