Author Topic: Greyhound bus station sold for $2.78 million  (Read 25226 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Greyhound bus station sold for $2.78 million
« on: December 28, 2017, 05:56:11 AM »
I wonder what they have planned for this site?

Miami-based property investor Ramon Llorens acquired more property in Downtown.

A deed executed Wednesday and recorded Friday shows that a group led by Llorens purchased the Greyhound bus station at 10 N. Pearl St., across the street from the EverBank Center, which he also owns.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/greyhound-bus-station-sold-for-dollar2-78-million
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

Re: Greyhound bus station sold for $2.78 million
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »
Llorens has bought a ton of property in Jax lately.  He already owns Everbank center, so he has a decent footprint in that part of downtown.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
I wonder what they have planned for this site?

Miami-based property investor Ramon Llorens acquired more property in Downtown.

A deed executed Wednesday and recorded Friday shows that a group led by Llorens purchased the Greyhound bus station at 10 N. Pearl St., across the street from the EverBank Center, which he also owns.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/greyhound-bus-station-sold-for-dollar2-78-million

Is this a tease? You know something you can't tell?

FlaBoy

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
My money is on him wanting to tear it down for parking... :-\

BenderRodriguez

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »
I smell more residential coming to the area...

Although, I would love to see the original building kept and repurposed. Maybe we can get that downtown Walgreens.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:03:21 AM by BenderRodriguez »

jaxnyc79

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Checked out tapestry park for the first time on my recent trip to Jax.  Has someone evaluated why we can’t see more of this product in Jax?  It’s the best attempt at place-making in new construction that I’ve seen in Jax in ages.  Can Mandarin and Arlington and other neighborhoods get their own versions of tapestry park to better congeal a sense of identity for those communities?  Is there anything the city can do to encourage more tapestry parks?  Are these great infill ideas for abandoned K-Marts?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
Yes, the city can overhaul its archaic zoning and land use policies. You literally have to go the extra mile and rezone to a PUD to do something like Tapestry Park. Make mixed-use more easy to do and the easy crap a bit more difficult and we'd see more Tapestry Parks materialize.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
I smell more residential coming to the area...

Although, I would love to see the original building kept and repurposed. Maybe we can get that downtown Walgreens.

Me too.  The classic bus station design deserves preservation.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

exnewsman

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:42:50 PM »
I really hope its not another parking garage. So many better options that that. But if it does go parking, perhaps they will do a mixed-use with retail, then parking, then office and/or residential. Residential directly across from the Skyway would be cool. Don't have high hopes though.

Anybody with enough money can buy property, but they rarely have the vision to see beyond the basics.

cline

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
Checked out tapestry park for the first time on my recent trip to Jax.  Has someone evaluated why we can’t see more of this product in Jax?  It’s the best attempt at place-making in new construction that I’ve seen in Jax in ages.  Can Mandarin and Arlington and other neighborhoods get their own versions of tapestry park to better congeal a sense of identity for those communities?  Is there anything the city can do to encourage more tapestry parks?  Are these great infill ideas for abandoned K-Marts?

Tapestry Park is hardly infill...its basically an extension of Tinsletown/Town Center. There are plenty of places where "infill" would work if the City promoted it rather than subsidizing suburban office parks.

As an aside, the term "placemaking" is way overused.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
I really hope its not another parking garage. So many better options that that. But if it does go parking, perhaps they will do a mixed-use with retail, then parking, then office and/or residential. Residential directly across from the Skyway would be cool. Don't have high hopes though.

Anybody with enough money can buy property, but they rarely have the vision to see beyond the basics.
It would be a cool space for an indoor/outdoor public market or food hall. It would pull from all the workers in the nearby office towers and courthouse and parking wouldn't be an issue with all of the garages and the adjacent skyway station. My guess is that it ends up being torn down at some point.

DrQue

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
My money is on structured parking for the EverBank building. Best case would be mixed use but I imagine the owner of 301 W Bay wants more control over his parking situation. Hoping for the best but expectations are low.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »

Tapestry Park is hardly infill...its basically an extension of Tinsletown/Town Center. There are plenty of places where "infill" would work if the City promoted it rather than subsidizing suburban office parks.

Jesus Christ, everyone on here can be challenged for the smallest points.  I was making the point that tapestry park’s design could be a model for a mixed use project used in other neighborhoods in the city, many of which currently lack any sort of village-style, walkable, mixed-use district.  Maybe a tapestry park design could fill in the now vacant Kmart space at San Jose and Old St Augustine.  I wasn’t saying tapestry in its current location is infill - but if you’re going to have new developments in the suburbs of Jax, that was a relatively nice project versus the loads of other garbage being built all over Duval

jaxjags

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »

Jesus Christ, everyone on here can be challenged for the smallest points.  I was making the point that tapestry park’s design could be a model for a mixed use project used in other neighborhoods in the city, many of which currently lack any sort of village-style, walkable, mixed-use district.  Maybe a tapestry park design could fill in the now vacant Kmart space at San Jose and Old St Augustine.  I wasn’t saying tapestry in its current location is infill - but if you’re going to have new developments in the suburbs of Jax, that was a relatively nice project versus the loads of other garbage being built all over Duval

Some people do not like suburban developments even if done correctly. Personally I don't "connect" this to Tinseltown and I think the new apartments close by will add to the mixed use. I agree with you. This approach could have been used at the new SJTC additions for a much better feel to the area.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »

Some people do not like suburban developments even if done correctly. Personally I don't "connect" this to Tinseltown and I think the new apartments close by will add to the mixed use. I agree with you. This approach could have been used at the new SJTC additions for a much better feel to the area.

At the very least, the city and/or planning department should be making it easy to get such developments done.  Who do we lobby for that?  I wonder if this developer is doing anything else around town?