Poll

Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?

Yes
4 (10.3%)
No
35 (89.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: February 27, 2018, 12:55:01 PM

Author Topic: Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?  (Read 25017 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »
Did she just play the "If I was a man" card???
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2018, 08:01:41 AM »
She did and as a man, I'd say she's dead on. That TU editorial came across pretty unobjective considering the era we currently live in and how Curry's actions have been covered by them.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2018, 08:21:13 AM »
She did and as a man, I'd say she's dead on. That TU editorial came across pretty unobjective considering the era we currently live in and how Curry's actions have been covered by them.

Agree 100%. That editorial really had me scratching my head saying that Brosche’s, not Curry’s, behavior was “inexcusable” and directing their line about how “Elected leaders need to put their feelings aside and act for the people” at her rather than him.

It’s telling that Brosche’s the one getting advice like “Take the high road, understand he is a competitive person, learn to bite your tongue, and (repeatedly) don’t take things so personally“, and Curry isn’t. He’s the one who really needs to heed it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2018, 08:21:55 AM »

Help me see what you do... I saw hardball politics on both sides... with her winning...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »
My comment had nothing to do with her or Curry's actions and everything to do with how the TU has covered them differently.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2018, 08:29:18 AM »
Ah... so there is disagreement over her treatment in an editorial?  Hell I disagree with them a couple days a week...  Not sure why that is news...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
Ah... so there is disagreement over her treatment in an editorial?  Hell I disagree with them a couple days a week...  Not sure why that is news...
Yeah, no big deal. I just responded to your post asking "did she really play the man card". She did and given the context (a written response to easy to see "mansplaining" oriented coverage), she was correct to point it out.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2018, 02:26:34 PM »
Curry was attempting to steam-roll and build a momentum of inevitability.  Brosche fought back.  There should be more of these pitched debates.  TU editorials are hack jobs anyway. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 06:14:40 PM »
Wow. You must work in his office...

ronchamblin

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 12:49:30 AM »
Insomnia ... forgive me.

Selling JEA would certainly, according to some, dump $2B … $3B … or $4B ? …  into the city coffers.  Surely the city would use this cash for improvement of infrastructure, and paying down high interest debt such as the pension fund.  This would provide funds formerly paid on debt, for use on projects providing long term gains for the quality of life for the citizen.

Sounds good.  But what of control?  The citizen has lost control of a portion of their destiny over the long term.  Control, I'm sure, would be given to extreme capitalists, with the agenda of maximization of profits for themselves and shareholders.  The citizens and the workers become vulnerable to a “squeeze effect” wherein all aspects of the operation; worker wages … worker safety … and consumer rates, evolve slowly to absurd limits, so as to maximize profits demanded by shareholders and other leeches sucking the system. 

JEA becomes a cash cow for whoever has control.  The dynamic in the capitalist system, if unfettered with oversight and regulation, ensures a reduction of the worker’s quality of life, and the exploitation of consumers perhaps already suffering borderline poverty.

I suspect that the occasional "opportunities" to ponder the idea of privatizing JEA arrives mysteriously from ... somewhere ... perhaps from some of the vultures ... the energetic and well informed capitalists ... who perhaps drool over the potential of a privatized JEA.  I suspect the occasional "invitation" to ponder the sale of JEA arrives via the route of politicians aligned with the GOP, as they are more likely to look positively to the event, being populated by a group of mostly arrogant self centered, corrupt, individuals seldom concerned about the average citizen ... individuals, most of whom are bought and paid for by the lobbyists hired by the wealthy to ensure the acquisition of even more mechanisms ... JEA types ... through which they and their partners in corruption can become more wealthy. 

I sense however, given so far the actions of Mayor Curry, that he is not of the type of GOP politician who would give in to the pressures of the above mentioned GOP / capitalist type vultures. But does reality allow one the simplicity of favoring the Democratic Party?  Surely, history has shown that most politicians .. of both parties ... are corrupt, and don't really give a damn about the citizens they are supposed to serve.  Indict and prosecute these arrogant mediocrities for grand theft, corruption, manslaughter via unnecessary wars, and allowing ... for money ... the proliferation of guns for the killing of our school kids  ... and execute by hanging or the firing squad a few hundred.  I suspect many citizens would love it.  Then perhaps some politicians will begin to focus more on the wellbeing of the citizen ... the country ...and the world ... with a little focus left over perhaps for ideas providing justice for all of our citizens ... even the disadvantage and the struggling minorities.

As for JEA ...the vultures lurk, waiting for opportunities offered by weakness ... for the victim's lack of vigilance.  The aim of the vulture is to ravage and consume. 

Actually, I recommend the guillotine for settling scores with some of the more arrogant and criminally oriented politicians; that is, after proper prosecution and sentencing.  I would love to design and build the guillotine to be used in settling affairs for the condemned guilty.  Being an engineer at heart ... inclined to design and build things, I would do a jam up job ... at no cost to the citizen.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:33:57 AM by ronchamblin »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »
Brosche says...

“The City of Jacksonville has significant infrastructure needs, some decades long and remaining unfulfilled, and also seeks to make economic development investments to create a vibrant and attractive community offering economic prosperity to all of its citizens. The net proceeds from a potential sale could yield the capital investment needed to accommodate such investments,” Brosche said in a memo announcing the committee’s creation.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180220/council-president-forms-committee-to-explore-potential-jea-sale

vicupstate

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2018, 09:35:12 AM »

All it takes is the ability to read.

Brosche is doing what should have been done from the start. The council has a committee process for most things, including topics far less important than this one.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »

All it takes is the ability to read.

Brosche is doing what should have been done from the start. The council has a committee process for most things, including topics far less important than this one.     

Thanks Vic... please show me the quotes where Curry is proposing..."attempting to steam-roll and build a momentum of inevitability".  The assumptions being made about everyone's motives is a bit hysterical...  If there is something nefarious afoot then lets see it... I for one want to know more about JEA's worth... Currys plans if any... the Boards plans etc... this infighting over an unfinished report is ridiculous...