Poll

Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?

Yes
4 (10.3%)
No
35 (89.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: February 27, 2018, 12:55:01 PM

Author Topic: Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?  (Read 25320 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
What did Tampa do with the profits generated from the Tampa Electric deal?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »
As someone who's had experience with JEA, OUC, GRU and Duke. The government owned utilities have always been cheaper, faster to respond and provided better incentives.

We've had a terrible experience with Duke since switching to them 2 years ago. They've misread our meter several times and overcharged us every single time. Had I not called and complained they would've gladly kept the $20-50 each time.

They also took 2 weeks to restore our power after the most recent hurricane. Meanwhile the houses literally across the street from us (on OUC) never lost power.

Finally, their energy audits are a joke providing barely any incentive to make upgrades to your home. Maybe it's just that Duke is terrible, but it's definitely left a sour taste in my mouth towards private energy.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2018, 12:03:25 AM »
I wanna crash Tacachale’s and SanMarcoMatt’s coffee party (i will buy my own)
And, JaxJaguar, you are right. Duke is horrible. I would much rather deal with jea monopoly any day of the week than duke or vectren energy ever again!
And if this sale of jea (to whom?) has to happen, there better be transparency and voter input. But I still think it is a terrible and short sighted idea. There must be a better way to deal with the pension reform issue than to sell off one of the city’s best assets that we all technically own a piece of

DrQue

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
Instead of selling a huge asset that is a stable performer, why not just raise taxes moderately?

If the analysis on a JEA sale shows a slam dunk for residents and the city, by all means proceed. I am however sceptical because ultimately there likely will be a cost in the long run. This does not have to be a zero sum deal, but I have a feeling the rate-payers would bear the burden in some manner (price, service etc.). Privatizing a major asset just seems like financial engineering to cover for our incredibly low tax rates.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/lowest-taxes-in-america

Josh

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:17 AM »
Instead of selling a huge asset that is a stable performer, why not just raise taxes moderately?

If the analysis on a JEA sale shows a slam dunk for residents and the city, by all means proceed. I am however sceptical because ultimately there likely will be a cost in the long run. This does not have to be a zero sum deal, but I have a feeling the rate-payers would bear the burden in some manner (price, service etc.). Privatizing a major asset just seems like financial engineering to cover for our incredibly low tax rates.

Bahaha, because we live in a world where proposing tax increases is political suicide, but considering slaughtering your cash cow is somehow OK.

When the city talks about using the windfall from selling JEA to take care of all of the "things" the city has neglected, that should be telling enough that low taxes are why these things were neglected to begin with. Aside from the large windfall, the city will actually be taking in less each year with a private utility, so one can assume in the long run there will be more "things" neglected. Even worse would be using the windfall to build out a lot of new infrastructure that will ultimately be neglected and begin falling apart 20-30 years down the road.

acme54321

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »

Bahaha, because we live in a world where proposing tax increases is political suicide, but considering slaughtering your cash cow is somehow OK.

When the city talks about using the windfall from selling JEA to take care of all of the "things" the city has neglected, that should be telling enough that low taxes are why these things were neglected to begin with. Aside from the large windfall, the city will actually be taking in less each year with a private utility, so one can assume in the long run there will be more "things" neglected. Even worse would be using the windfall to build out a lot of new infrastructure that will ultimately be neglected and begin falling apart 20-30 years down the road.

Seriously.  People bitch and bitch about everything then when anyone mentions raising taxes to fix those things they lose their minds.  NEWSFLASH, YOU'RE GOING TO PAY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.  It's just like kicking the pension mess down the road  ::)

jaxrox

• Juno Who
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
Welllllllll, one thought here, the city is sitting on how many vacant buildings and land parcels? They could sell some of those to start with..
**ducks to avoid the flying objects I’m sure that some of y’all might chuck@me 4 that comment **

lowlyplanner

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Given the City's experience with the original Shipyards deal, the Courthouse garage, etc., why in the world would we expect not to get hosed in a deal that JEA's own consultant called "one of the most complex of its kind in the United States."

Chicago got royally screwed when they sold off their parking meters and garages.

Is Jacksonville going to field better attorneys and negotiators than FP&L?  Wall Street?  Hedge Funds?

If you're looking around the table and can't tell who the mark is, it is definitely YOU.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
Given the City's experience with the original Shipyards deal, the Courthouse garage, etc., why in the world would we expect not to get hosed in a deal that JEA's own consultant called "one of the most complex of its kind in the United States."

Chicago got royally screwed when they sold off their parking meters and garages.

Is Jacksonville going to field better attorneys and negotiators than FP&L?  Wall Street?  Hedge Funds?

If you're looking around the table and can't tell who the mark is, it is definitely YOU.

+1
The takeaway:
Dear Jacksonville leaders, please learn from the mistakes that have already been made in this city and Chicago. Others too, I’m sure, if I take the time to dig deep enough

jaxrox

• Juno Who
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »
http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180315/city-council-panel-will-subpoena-jea-executive-to-testify-under-oath

Another giant red flag, hmmm they refuse to testify under oath?!?!? IDGAF about the excuses they give! This is just a bad idea all around, selling jea.. >:(
Like just scrap this whole selling jea idea, NOW, and if the city truly needs more revenue for whatever reason, then find other ways to generate it! There must be a better way. That’s my two cents

MusicMan

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
"Welllllllll, one thought here, the city is sitting on how many vacant buildings and land parcels? They could sell some of those to start with..
**ducks to avoid the flying objects I’m sure that some of y’all might chuck@me 4 that comment **"

Great idea, but good luck pulling it off. Evidently the ONLY WAY for the COJ to dispose of something they own is by RFP, whereby the peruse the offerings they get and PICK A WINNER.  LOL

I do believe, if the COJ owned a dumpster they would have a RFP in order to dispose of IT.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »
Haha you may be right

DrQue

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »
I do find it interesting that FP&L is currently running an advertising campaign in the Jacksonville market. I know they provide service in counties neighboring Duval. It just seems very coincidental for them to be running a PR campaign in Jax right when a JEA privatization is being discussed.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
Ouch...

Former Mayor Godbold to Mayor Lenny Curry: I don’t believe you

By Nate Monroe

Posted at 11:30 AM
Updated at 12:58 PM

Former Mayor Jake Godbold told Mayor Lenny Curry the contentious debate surrounding a potential sale of Jacksonville’s electric and water utility has damaged Curry’s credibility and that he’s been getting bad advice that “does not appear to flow from what is in the best interest of of Jacksonville.”

The harsh observations — which Godbold shared in a previously unreported personal letter he delivered to Curry last week — amount to an eyebrow-raising upbraiding from the former mayor, who has a well-known gruffness and sharp tongue that he’s used liberally over the years.

“Despite your frequent statements that you’ve not made up your mind on the JEA’s future, I am one of a whole lot of people in Jacksonville who are having a hard time believing you,” Godbold wrote.

His letter is filled with needling opinions.

“I had no interest in being anything but mayor of Jacksonville,” Godbold wrote of his own tenure. “I (am) not sure the same can be said for you, which is perfectly fine,” he told Curry.

“As a former mayor, every day I communicate with a lot of people in this community,” Godbold said. “The public disagrees with selling the JEA, something you should know from your PAC’s polling.”

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180418/former-mayor-godbold-to-mayor-lenny-curry-i-dont-believe-you
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Snaketoz

« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:50 AM »
I am very suspicious of this new "interim CEO" of JEA. How did this guy, Aaron Zahn, get to be on the JEA board?  What were the requirements for, and what requirements does he possess to become a member of the board?  Who on the board enabled him to become a member?  Something is very fishy.  This guy has no experience in utility management.  I think this needs to be investigated. Zahn's only experience I'm aware of is running a failed human waste recycling business in Central Florida.  The business used city of Haines City's $300,000 to purchase land for the facility.  The company spent $60,000.  He is already saying he will explore the best future for JEA.  I think he's saying he will take the lead in selling JEA.  This needs some thorough investigating.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180418/in-past-job-interim-jea-ceos-company-lost-waste-recycling-contract-last-year-over-odor-controversy