Author Topic: A Glimpse of Downtown Miami  (Read 2390 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A Glimpse of Downtown Miami
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:10:02 AM »

Like many cities, Miami aspires to achieve greatness with its downtown. Judging from the amount of cranes dominating the skyline, Miami is well on its way. Today, Modern Cities shares rarely seen street scene of one of America's most rapidly growing urban cores.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-nov-a-glimpse-of-downtown-miami

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
Re: A Glimpse of Downtown Miami
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
How about that super cool whole foods in the downtown area. I don't see Jax getting something like that anytime soon :( I was walking down every street not to long ago. I enjoyed my time there :)
Murray Hill Billy

jaxnyc79

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

Like many cities, Miami aspires to achieve greatness with its downtown. Judging from the amount of cranes dominating the skyline, Miami is well on its way. Today, Modern Cities shares rarely seen street scene of one of America's most rapidly growing urban cores.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-nov-a-glimpse-of-downtown-miami

Can someone forward this article to Lori Boyer?  I believe she chairs the Land Use and Zoning Committees within the City Council.  Once upon a time, she seemed to champion ideas like “complete streets” and “walkable zoning and design standards.”  Now, her commitment appears to have been redirected to just river access.  How do we link a zoning revamp to the city’s economic fortunes, its economic future, and its appeal to millennial professionals? 

jaxnyc79

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:28:48 PM »
I just read in the JaxDailyRecord that the Land Use and Zoning Committee has remanded the approval of the residential project next to the Aetna building.  One of the issues cited by Lori Boyer is that the height of the new building will harm river views of existing office buildings.  Does Jax recognize “air rights?”  Can someone educate me on why this should be an issue for the developers?

MusicMan

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
" One of the issues cited by Lori Boyer is that the height of the new building will harm river views of existing office buildings."

Wow wonder what 'consulting group' they brought in who pointed this out?

Only in Jacksonville would this be mentioned after all that was done to approve the building.  God help us.......................

Any updates on The District?  Publix San Marco?  Baptist site on Hendricks Ave?  Broadstone?  Feels like this entire area is the Twilight Zone, on the verge of great success or none at all. It's impossible to tell.

Link to JDR:  https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/plan-to-build-high-rise-residential-tower-on-southbank-sent-back-to-downtown-development-review-board

Hysterical comment from one of the attorney's representing opposition to the building: "Holland & Knight LLP attorney Daniel Bean, representing GV-IP, told council members the project is “motivated by profits,” .......

Well Holy Balance Sheet Batman, that never would have occurred to me........................
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:56:29 AM by MusicMan »

marcuscnelson

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »
" One of the issues cited by Lori Boyer is that the height of the new building will harm river views of existing office buildings."

Wow wonder what 'consulting group' they brought in who pointed this out?

Only in Jacksonville would this be mentioned after all that was done to approve the building.  God help us.......................

Any updates on The District?  Publix San Marco?  Baptist site on Hendricks Ave?  Broadstone?  Feels like this entire area is the Twilight Zone, on the verge of great success or none at all. It's impossible to tell.

Link to JDR:  https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/plan-to-build-high-rise-residential-tower-on-southbank-sent-back-to-downtown-development-review-board

Hysterical comment from one of the attorney's representing opposition to the building: "Holland & Knight LLP attorney Daniel Bean, representing GV-IP, told council members the project is “motivated by profits,” .......

Well Holy Balance Sheet Batman, that never would have occurred to me........................

You mean an apartment building isn't supposed to be a charity? Who'da thunk?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
Hi pot, meet kettle. The whole reason there is an appeal is because GV-IP believes having a building hurts their profits.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
I'd wager GV-IP had every chance to purchase that parking lot and didn't want to spend the money. This is a capitalist country, for the most part, isn't it?