Author Topic: Tom Petty (1950-2017)  (Read 2320 times)

JaxJersey-licious

Tom Petty (1950-2017)
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
On top of Harvey, Irene, Maria, Mexico, Las Vegas, now the sad sudden passing of another musical giant.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/tom-petty-dead-66-stories-famous-songs/story?id=50240628

One of my favorite memories of living in St. Augustine at the time was whenever me and friends visiting would drive south on A1A we always pointed out that Tom Petty had a house there and sometimes we would pull over and pay homage at the gates of his Crescent Beach abode. I'm sure many other MetroJax readers have their own local stories seeing the impact he and his music had on the region and the world.

TimmyB

• T
Re: Tom Petty (1950-2017)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
I was a 21-year-old kid, in my first months of teaching, in an impossible teaching position, and missing my girlfriend (now my wife of 36 years, today!) desperately when "Here Comes My Girl" was out.  That song, from that amazing album, is one of my top five songs in my life!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
I grew up on Tom Petty. It always struck me that he and the Heartbreakers stayed so relevant for so long without sacrificing their distinctive sound. For over 20 years they were releasing new music that was both good and successful in the popular sphere. Not an easy feat.

He'll always be Charlie T. Wilbury, Jr. to me.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
For over 20 years they were releasing new music that was both good and successful in the popular sphere. Not an easy feat.

True Dat !
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Scarlettjax

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
Yeah runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Workin' on a mystery, goin' wherever it leads
Runnin' down a dream

One of the best driving songs ever.  Gonna miss him. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:06 PM »
Very sad here... another Wilbury gone... :'(
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »

No doubt.  And, thirty years ago, who would've bet that Dylan would be one of the last two survivors? 

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 12:50:28 AM »

No doubt.  And, thirty years ago, who would've bet that Dylan would be one of the last two survivors?

It's now obvious to us all that Bob Dylan transcends space and time but at this rate someone best get to Jeff Lynne and encase him in layers of bubble wrap.

Handle him with care...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 02:45:48 AM »

It's now obvious to us all that Bob Dylan transcends space and time but at this rate someone best get to Jeff Lynne and encase him in layers of bubble wrap.

Handle him with care...

Dylan needs to start a band with Keith Richards. And maybe Iggy Pop or something.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”