Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 120035 times)

JaxAvondale

Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2020, 03:12:34 PM »
Unconfirmed, but a source I trust (READ: Facebook Friend) posted that Southwest is going to be offering daily flights from JAX-STL and JAX-DCA (Washington-Reagan).

I believe they'll have no competition with JAX-STL non-stop, but JAX-DCA is curious. DCA is a Slot-Controlled airport so slots (a takeoff or a landing; a roundtrip flight needs 2 slots) come at a premium, and I can't imagine JAX-DCA is a really premium route.

JAX-DCA is an interesting route. I think it may work. Personally, I have to make multiple trips to DC next year.

landfall

« Reply #316 on: December 10, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »
Unconfirmed, but a source I trust (READ: Facebook Friend) posted that Southwest is going to be offering daily flights from JAX-STL and JAX-DCA (Washington-Reagan).

I believe they'll have no competition with JAX-STL non-stop, but JAX-DCA is curious. DCA is a Slot-Controlled airport so slots (a takeoff or a landing; a roundtrip flight needs 2 slots) come at a premium, and I can't imagine JAX-DCA is a really premium route.
New Orleans or Memphis would have made more sense than another DC route. St. Louis is good.

tufsu1

« Reply #317 on: December 10, 2020, 10:37:12 PM »

JAX-DCA is an interesting route. I think it may work. Personally, I have to make multiple trips to DC next year.

keep in mind that Jet Blue stopped flying the JAX-DCA route last year

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #318 on: December 11, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
^True, but it's still an AA hub. Not that this would stop Southwest by itself.

In thinking about it you bring up a good point. JetBlue left the market because they felt they could redeploy the slot to something more worthwhile. For the space that Southwest competes in, that might work for them.

jaxdan3

« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »
Big news coming today! JAX-LAX is bookable on the Jetblue website with flights starting March 4th. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #320 on: December 17, 2020, 10:21:15 AM »
Yep - that's a big deal. They are also adding JAX-RDU.

The RDU one surprised me as neither JAX nor RDU are big markets and Delta already has JAX-RDU. But, Delta's timing is awful - JAX-RDU is a 6AM departure, and RDU-JAX is late in the evening. It works ok for connections since RDU is now a Delta Focus City, but there's definitely an opportunity there to offer something during the day. Plus JetBlue is expanding at RDU too.

Obviously LAX is the coveted route that the Airport Authority has been targeting for a WHILE, and fits nicely with their expansion at LAX.

Looks like Delta and JetBlue are declaring war on each other:

- Delta upgraded BOS to a hub, a long time JetBlue Hub
 - Delta is investing $1.9B of their own money on expanding and renovating their terminals at LAX, and JetBlue is expanding now
 - Delta established the RDU focus city, and today JetBlue announces 6 new routes out of RDU: AUS, JAX, MCO, TPA, LAS, SFP
 - Delta previously bought 20% of LATAM (#1 South American airline), forced a partnership divorce from them and AA and announced a major expansion at MIA (which has been an AA stronghold for a long time). Now JetBlue is expanding at MIA too with routes to LAX/JFK/EWR (Newark)/BOS

Interesting time for airlines (in a tenuous position) to fight a war between one another which will undoubtedly result in lower fares on those routes, though JetBlue and Delta are probably the two strongest airlines financially.

Go JAX!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2020, 10:46:07 AM »
Was a weekly user of the Delta LAX to JAX flight for about a year. It was a pretty dead route.

Just bought Jetblue direct to LAX flight for next spring, specifically for a San Diego trip.

The roundtrip price of a premium seat on this route, combined with a business class ticket on the Amtrak Surliner train to San Diego (which is a very nice ride).. is significantly cheaper with a basically comparable end to end travel time than a JAX-ATL-SAN Delta trip (Comfort +), even with accounting for queue times at Union Station in LA.  I doubt that pricing stays at these levels for too long.  Looking forward to loading up on bags of blue chips!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:51:08 AM by fieldafm »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #322 on: December 17, 2020, 11:30:22 AM »
More details here:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jetblue-to-start-nonstop-service-from-jacksonville-to-los-angeles

I really like the timing
Depart JAX 5PM - Arrive LAX 7:49PM
Depart LAX 8AM - Arrive JAX 3:33PM

The Delta flight was the opposite - AM departure from JAX, Redeye back from LAX.

I am a LITTLE concerned with the size of the plane - 162 seats, which for JetBlue is probably the smallest plane that they'd feel comfortable using on the route (they only have 1 smaller plane - seats 100 but the range makes it a little tight if there's Weather). I thought this might be a route Delta would try once their LAX renovations are complete as they have a 109 seat plane that could service the route fine range-wise.

For context Delta's flight that failed seated about 160 as well, which at the time was the smallest plane that could handle the range.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #323 on: December 17, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
The Delta flight was the opposite - AM departure from JAX, Redeye back from LAX.

I am very, very aware of how much that redeye SUCKED. I went straight from the airport and into the office for a 12 hour day. I have never been able to sleep on a plane, so yeah  :-[

JaxAvondale

« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2020, 11:54:00 AM »
This is great news! I definitely fly this route next year. The departure time out is very good.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »

I am very, very aware of how much that redeye SUCKED. I went straight from the airport and into the office for a 12 hour day. I have never been able to sleep on a plane, so yeah  :-[

SAME!

Personally, even I can knock myself out, the west to east domestic flight is too short for a redeye....it's 4.5 hours gate to gate!

Europe is fine where it's usually a minimum of 7, except for something like JFK-London.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
I am a LITTLE concerned with the size of the plane - 162 seats, which for JetBlue is probably the smallest plane that they'd feel comfortable using on the route (they only have 1 smaller plane - seats 100 but the range makes it a little tight if there's Weather). I thought this might be a route Delta would try once their LAX renovations are complete as they have a 109 seat plane that could service the route fine range-wise.

For context Delta's flight that failed seated about 160 as well, which at the time was the smallest plane that could handle the range.
“We worked 12 years to restore the JAX-LAX route since losing it as a result of the 2008 financial crisis,” VanLoh said in the news release. “Not only is Los Angeles one of our largest unserved destinations, we are one of theirs as well. This is a huge win.”

The good news is in the 12 years since the last direct flight, Jax has substantially more people.  I don't have figures in front of me but I would guess, at 1.5% growth per year, compounded, we might have at least 20 to 25% more persons eligible to fly this route.

While we have used mostly San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose or Seattle for a jumping off point for trips to Hawaii or Asia, LAX works too for many such destinations, so this isn't just about So. California access.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:51:49 PM by jaxlongtimer »

tufsu1

« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
Looking forward to loading up on bags of blue chips!!

Cost using points is really low - under 15,000 round trip

Also, Pop Corners for me!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:56:52 PM by tufsu1 »

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #328 on: December 17, 2020, 01:45:56 PM »

“We worked 12 years to restore the JAX-LAX route since losing it as a result of the 2008 financial crisis,” VanLoh said in the news release. “Not only is Los Angeles one of our largest unserved destinations, we are one of theirs as well. This is a huge win.”

The good news is in the 12 years since the last direct flight, Jax has substantially more people.  I don't have figures in front of me but I would guess, at 1.5% growth per year, compounded, we might have at least 20 to 25% more persons eligible to fly this route.

While we have used mostly San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose or Seattle for a jumping off point for trips to Hawaii or Asia, LAX works too for many such destinations, so this isn't just about So. California access.

That would be true if Delta brought back direct JAX to LAX flights. JetBlue doesn't fly to the Pacific. Delta is still far superior for such trips from Jax. There is a superior direct slot from JAX to DTW that will then access the old Northwest Pacific flight slots (or a direct flight from ATL to Tokyo if you are shooting for a particular arrival time)... if one is desiring such a trip.

The old JAX to LAX Delta route was about 70% business travelers... and usually less than half full.  The Pacific leisure travelers didn't make much of an impact.  Most of the leisure travelers I talked to, were going to/from domestic destinations like PacNW or Las Vegas
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:52:49 PM by fieldafm »