Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 33984 times)

ProjectMaximus

Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »
Six new routes on Frontier out of JAX! Still mostly seasonal but nice nevertheless.

Buffalo, KC, Vegas, Milwaukee, MSP, STL (I think it's actually STL and not Mid America like Allegiant)

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/nation-now/frontier-airlines-adds-two-new-cities-as-part-of-9-route-expansion/465-9796f70f-7ce7-4e0f-beba-4b0969590656

BTW I survived my Allegiant flight last week.  ;D Flight was a tiny bit delayed but I'll take that every time lol.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:06:41 PM by ProjectMaximus »

JaxAvondale

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Perfect timing with the KC route. That will come in handy during the NFL season.

Snaketoz

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »
It's always great to hear of new flights out of JAX.  The only problem is all but the Las Vegas flights are just seasonal and not everyday.

minder

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 07:29:26 PM »
It's always great to hear of new flights out of JAX.  The only problem is all but the Las Vegas flights are just seasonal and not everyday.
To be fair, I think thats as sustainable as routes such as MCI, MKE and BUF can be.

Hopefully a west coast flight next. Would like to think LAX could be maintained year round.

remc86007

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
LAX would be awesome.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 01:16:59 AM »
Delta tried JAX-LAX about 8 years ago. Didn’t work, which surprised me. It was a red eye back, which wasn’t ideal IMO. The timing out was perfect (9:30 departure I believe).

Snaketoz

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
I think Jacksonville gets slighted as far as routes are concerned.  Airlines will keep underused flights going in other markets, but will stop them in JAX.  I think if another airline had LAX flights, Delta would have kept them.  There are routes in other cities that are always near empty, but they continue.  JetBlue cancelled the JAX-San Juan flights even though the flights were full (according to friends).  Our time is coming....I hope.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »
It's the sad reality of not being a hub of any kind. We are close to several hubs so it's unlikely we will ever attain even regional hub status (Silver Airline's aspirations notwithstanding). On the flipside, as an underserved midsized market (in FL especially!) we are able to attract these LCCs. Not just the big expansions of Frontier and Allegiant, but even Southwest and Jetblue back in the day were fairly early to our airport.

Regarding San Juan, I heard differently. In any case, those flights were often dirt cheap I am sad I never got to take advantage. Certainly our PR connection is growing so it could return someday soon.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
Delta tried JAX-LAX about 8 years ago. Didn’t work, which surprised me. It was a red eye back, which wasn’t ideal IMO. The timing out was perfect (9:30 departure I believe).

I actually prefer a red eye coming back from the West Coast but I sleep well on planes better than most people.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
I think Jacksonville gets slighted as far as routes are concerned.  Airlines will keep underused flights going in other markets, but will stop them in JAX.  I think if another airline had LAX flights, Delta would have kept them.  There are routes in other cities that are always near empty, but they continue.  JetBlue cancelled the JAX-San Juan flights even though the flights were full (according to friends).  Our time is coming....I hope.

Well, there’s more to it then that. While the flight might be full, what was the price point? If they can utilize the aircraft in a different market with a higher fare average, then they will do that. Also, at times they keep a lower performing flight because of aircraft repositioning.

Snaketoz

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »

Well, there’s more to it then that. While the flight might be full, what was the price point? If they can utilize the aircraft in a different market with a higher fare average, then they will do that. Also, at times they keep a lower performing flight because of aircraft repositioning.
Oh no, really?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »

Oh no, really?

The point was that I don’t see that changing in JAX unfortunately.

Snaketoz

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »

Oh no, really?

It will change Steve.  What it takes is a draw for more leisure flyers visiting Jacksonville.  When you are mostly business oriented you get business travelers.  The ones who's employer pays for the ticket no matter the cost.  If we get our beaches more attractive to leisure travelers, and an additional attraction or two, our air fares will come down and the passenger count will go up.  Simple.

minder

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
I'd imagine if that service is to return it'll be on an LCC with less than daily service. I believe JetBlue operate BUF-LAX 4x weekly.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »

Oh no, really?

It will change Steve.  What it takes is a draw for more leisure flyers visiting Jacksonville.  When you are mostly business oriented you get business travelers.  The ones who's employer pays for the ticket no matter the cost.  If we get our beaches more attractive to leisure travelers, and an additional attraction or two, our air fares will come down and the passenger count will go up.  Simple.

Disagree - the thing that drives higher fares and more profitable routes that stick around are the business travelers, not the leisure ones. You might see an Allegiant or a Frontier try a JAX-California route, but I doubt it succeeds. With the major carriers, you get a fair number of people either paying for First Class, or willing to pay $750+ to fly Coach to California on short notice. Those people are less than 50% of the plane, but significantly more than 50% of the revenue of the flight. That is what keeps a flight going day in and day out. Business travelers also can't rely on a 2 or 4 day a week service - I'm never going to move my flight a day to take advantage of a nonstop.

While the major leisure destinations might be able to sustain on tons of leisure travelers (Orlando, Vegas, etc.), I don't see leisure travel helping JAX at all when it comes to longer distance flights - Las Vegas being an exception.