Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 37281 times)

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »
Delta used to do a Last Minute fare email.

USAir used to do that too. I got to see a lot of places cheap that way. Does ANY airline still do that?

JetBlue has its flash sales quite regularly. I believe I have seen both United and AA email some out in the last year. I have never taken any though...always far too limited in options.

jaxdan3

« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2019, 02:20:20 PM »
Southwest is dropping their Ft. Lauderdale and Dallas-Love field flights.  Now Jetblue is the last airline with a JAX-FLL flight as Spirit is also dropping that route.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #227 on: August 15, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
Man! That stinks! I was going to start using the route more starting next month.

Dolph1975

« Reply #228 on: August 19, 2019, 05:14:04 AM »
I wonder if any of these cuts are going to affect the need for the 3rd concourse...

jaxdan3

« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2019, 07:12:58 AM »
I wonder if any of these cuts are going to affect the need for the 3rd concourse...

As long as passenger numbers keep growing year over year I wouldn't worry about the 3rd concourse unless there is a major recession or terrorist attack before construction begins.  The Ft. Lauderdale route had too much capacity with 3 airlines and 7 flights a day, something had to give and JetBlue was the winner.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #230 on: August 19, 2019, 10:46:45 AM »

As long as passenger numbers keep growing year over year I wouldn't worry about the 3rd concourse unless there is a major recession or terrorist attack before construction begins.  The Ft. Lauderdale route had too much capacity with 3 airlines and 7 flights a day, something had to give and JetBlue was the winner.

The Southwest issues may also be a medium term schedule reshuffling as part of the 737 MAX fiasco. I think originally the airlines thought this would only be a couple months but clearly that has not been the case. Or it's the reason above and JetBlue was just the victor.

But I agree that some flux in a route or two here isn't going to delay the new concourse.

jaxdan3

« Reply #231 on: August 19, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
JAX posted their July passenger numbers which were 651,238 compared to 590,821 last year.  The airport is on pace to break 7 million passengers for the fiscal year ending 9/30/19, and even higher for calendar year 2019.  The pace of growth is slowing a bit but even 10% year over year is still impressive.

tufsu1

« Reply #232 on: August 19, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
JAX posted their July passenger numbers which were 651,238 compared to 590,821 last year.  The airport is on pace to break 7 million passengers for the fiscal year ending 9/30/19, and even higher for calendar year 2019.  The pace of growth is slowing a bit but even 10% year over year is still impressive.

No doubt it is good, but to put in context, every major airport in Florida (and several of smaller ones) have been breaking passenger records for the last few years.

Consider this - 127 million people visited Florida in 2018 and 2019 is on pace for nearly 140 million. That compares to 81 million just 10 years ago.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
Spirit's competition on the DTW - JAX route has really brought down Delta's prices. I was still surprised it was a packed flight when I took Delta a couple weeks ago.

Snaketoz

« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »
Do not fret Southwest announced a lot of cuts:

Effective Jan. 6, Southwest will eliminate nonstop flights between the following cities:
Los Angeles-Cancun, Mexico
Los Angeles-Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Los Angeles-Omaha, Nebraska
Los Angeles-Pittsburgh
Boston-Atlanta
Boston-Kansas City, Missouri
Boston-Milwaukee
Dallas Love Field-Oklahoma City
Dallas Love Field-Jacksonville, Florida
Dallas Love Field-San Francisco
Orlando, Florida-Oakland, California
Orlando-San Jose, California
Orlando-Sacramento, California
Fort Lauderdale, Florida-Jacksonville, Florida
New York LaGuardia-Orlando, Florida
Columbus, Ohio-Oakland, California
Austin, Texas-San Francisco

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
The Southwest issues may also be a medium term schedule reshuffling as part of the 737 MAX fiasco. I think originally the airlines thought this would only be a couple months but clearly that has not been the case.

Agreed.  I have read that about 10% of Southwest planes are the 737 Max. There is a genuine shortfall of seats as a result. This has forced them, and other airlines such as American and United to a lesser degree, to eliminate flights for now.   Also, the 737 Max was ideal for certain routes so those routes may be the most vulnerable if other equipment can't fill the bill or is prioritized for other routes.

I have also read that older planes are "in demand" and being returned to service in some cases.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:32:13 PM by jaxlongtimer »

minder

« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
Routes with too much competition feeling the pinch.

jaxdan3

« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
Pending final approval it looks like JIA will be adding a BurgerFi and Southern Grounds as new food/drink options.

dp8541

« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »
Good to see a local spot like Southern Grounds get a spot in the airport.  Having some local restaurants and/or retail shops get a foothold in the airport would be great in my opinion and an area JAX need to improve in.