Author Topic: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play  (Read 22783 times)

Kerry

Re: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »

But if I'm Jacksonville, I'm trying to put together a strong presentation that makes them re-think their stated criteria. We have *much* to sell. Try to convince them less is more, flexibility overcomes apparent inadequacies, and insist a logistics giant should want to be not just *the* logistics giant in HQ2 . . . but *the* corporate giant, too.

Charge hard, Mayor Curry, charge hard.

No. No. No. No. No x 100000000000.  These greedy assholes aren't looking for us to "sell" them anything other than a huge tax break giveaway.  No. No. No. No. No.  Amazon can take their corporate welfare and warehouse exploitation jobs and get bent.  They are counting on responses like the above, "Golly gee! THE Amazon wants to come here? Throw the house at them, who cares if we are getting fleeced?!? It's AMAZON."

I agree Murder_me_Rachel.  I get so sick and tired of corporation asking for handouts from taxpayers.  There was a time not so long ago that Corporations were a foundation of the community, now they are just another parasites.  Cities have been handing out these incentives for a generation now and we are constantly told all the tax dollars will come rolling in on the back-end  Well, here we are on the back-end and I don't see overflowing tax dollars rolling in.  This strategy isn't working so why do we keep doing it?
Third Place

RattlerGator

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »
It's parasitic for a corporation to publicly announce its future plans and allow municipalities and regions or states the opportunity to pitch the desirability of their locale for all of those potential jobs? Really? Parasitic?

That's crazy talk, man.

In the spirit of #InShadWeTrust, I say the Mayor gets together with Shad Khan, Peter Rummel, UNF, Mayo, JU, Flagler and . . . yes, UF & FSU, among others, and pitch an ambitious plan.

Engaging in such an audacious exercise, alone, could pay dividends for our area even if we don't win HQ2.

The Florida Crown: bold cities, beautiful beaches, and wonderful waterways.

vicupstate

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
It's parasitic for a corporation to publicly announce its future plans and allow municipalities and regions or states the opportunity to pitch the desirability of their locale for all of those potential jobs? Really? Parasitic?

That's crazy talk, man.

In the spirit of #InShadWeTrust, I say the Mayor gets together with Shad Khan, Peter Rummel, UNF, Mayo, JU, Flagler and . . . yes, UF & FSU, among others, and pitch an ambitious plan.

Engaging in such an audacious exercise, alone, could pay dividends for our area even if we don't win HQ2.

The Florida Crown: bold cities, beautiful beaches, and wonderful waterways.

Wow. You really don't understand the issue do you.

The issue is when they get tax reductions, free money. That is what makes it parasitic. The money they don't pay has to be paid by everyone else. Plus other businesses including their competition didn't get the same deal.

Level the playing field and treat everyone the same, and no one would have a problem with it.       
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
Level the playing field and treat everyone the same, and no one would have a problem with it.       
Capitalists doesn't want anything to do with that.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/676994001
This just in. Detroit may or may not get these headquarters. I would really like to see Jacksonville get these Amazon hq's, it would be great for the local economy & create some new employment opportunities (and it's not like there is a shortage of available buildings, land mass, and people needing a good steady job here) But if I had to choose a secondary city that needs this, it'd b Detroit :)

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 11:04:04 PM »
This just in. Detroit may or may not get these headquarters. I would really like to see Jacksonville get these Amazon hq's, it would be great for the local economy & create some new employment opportunities (and it's not like there is a shortage of available buildings, land mass, and people needing a good steady job here) But if I had to choose a secondary city that needs this, it'd b Detroit :)
But there is an extreme shortage of buildings and qualified people (50,000 in business and technology) here.

As I mentioned before.  They are looking for more than 8 million sqft of space.  That is practically ALL of the central business district.  Even if we tabulated all of the empty class A office space in the entire county, it may not equal that much. You are looking at the equivalent of 8 empty Everbank (formerly AT&T) towers needed in downtown. 

As for people, we might have 5,000 people needing entry level warehouse jobs (the recent Amazon distribution centers) but we certainly don't have 50,000 clamoring for tech and management positions.

Sad facts.  I wish we were a contender.  If we could land such a deal without dropping our tax dollar shorts, it would be a massive boon for the city.  But we are not ready to provide what they need. And even if we were, we would still be putting every Jacksonville resident egg into the Amazon basket and counting them chickens long before they hatch.

FlaBoy

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »

I can't imagine them going to Detroit because of the brutal winters. If you are an Amazon recruit, where will you try to go, Seattle or Detroit? They will end up in the sunny South or where the talent base is too much to pass up like Boston.

vicupstate

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »
If they offer enough incentives, i could see Detroit, but it would still be a surprise. It would probably take a property tax free campus and no state income taxes for 50 years, and maybe even building the campus itself.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Although it would have higher chances than a metro 1/4 its size like Jax landing the HQ, I doubt Amazon ends up in Detroit. However, it won't be because of its brutal winters.  Unless Gilbert and his friends offer an insane incentives package on behalf of the city, I doubt they'll be able to effectively compete head-to-head with several of the larger Sunbelt and East Coast regions. It's cool to see them trying.  The core of that city isn't as half bad as the negative national press it tends to get.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
Can anyone say whether COJ has even submitted a bid for this RFP?

Papa33

FlaBoy

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
Although it would have higher chances than a metro 1/4 its size like Jax landing the HQ, I doubt Amazon ends up in Detroit. However, it won't be because of its brutal winters.  Unless Gilbert and his friends offer an insane incentives package on behalf of the city, I doubt they'll be able to effectively compete head-to-head with several of the larger Sunbelt and East Coast regions. It's cool to see them trying.  The core of that city isn't as half bad as the negative national press it tends to get.

I do. Could you imagine getting placed in Detroit rather than Seattle? Brutal. Taking incentives out of the picture, going to Atlanta, Texas, North Carolina or Florida is much more desirable with similar sized metros that aren't shrinking like Tampa, Orlando, or Miami.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
Can anyone say whether COJ has even submitted a bid for this RFP?

I'm sure they haven't..it's been a week and a half. I'm sure no one has.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-headquarters-cities-in-a-bidding-war-2017-9/#oak-brook-illinois-49

Guess who isn't on this list.......????

I've searched several times for any public comment from our city's major stakeholders. Still nothing. I can imagine Lenny Curry not making a peep in an attempt to either make a big splash out of this or eventually decide it's not worth it in an attempt to save face. It is hard to imagine them not even reaching out and doing some groundwork on this.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »

I do. Could you imagine getting placed in Detroit rather than Seattle? Brutal. Taking incentives out of the picture, going to Atlanta, Texas, North Carolina or Florida is much more desirable with similar sized metros that aren't shrinking like Tampa, Orlando, or Miami.
Many could make the same argument you're making against Detroit, against Jax. Instead of brutal winters you get brutal summers. Chicago has the same winters as Detroit. However, I can certainly see a situation where many would select Chicago over Seattle.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:31:06 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali