Author Topic: Guest Column: McCoys Creek is Downtown’s best kept secret  (Read 5062 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Time to expose Downtown’s best kept secret

Downtown’s best kept secret may finally be exposed if the Curry administration has its way.

Once called the “biggest swamp in any city the size of Jacksonville in the world” and blamed for its mosquito breeding waters morphing into the Yellow Fever Outbreak of 1857, McCoys Creek could become an urban recreational oasis within the heart of the city.

Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry’s proposed budget calls for $1.35 million to be spent in the new budget year to remove obstructions blocking kayakers from using the creek and for the design of a 12-foot wide multiuse path for bikers and pedestrians paralleling the waterway.

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/columnists/opinion/2017-07-25/guest-column-mccoys-creek-downtown-s-best-kept-secret
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

Re: Guest Column: McCoys Creek is Downtown’s best kept secret
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 08:59:14 AM »
The real secret is the toxic sediments in the waterway.

As long as they dont disturb that in this effort, I think its great. I drive through McCoys Creek Boulevard often and find it hard to believe this was once a major recreational venue for the city.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »
Great job, Lake.

Bricktown Canal is an excellent comparison.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »
It's amazing what 80 years of neglect will do. Just look at the creek and greenway in these historical aerials.

1943 aerial
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
It's amazing, tragic, and wrenching how little regard we had (or have) for environmental resources.   

acme54321

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
The real secret is the toxic sediments in the waterway.

As long as they dont disturb that in this effort, I think its great. I drive through McCoys Creek Boulevard often and find it hard to believe this was once a major recreational venue for the city.

It is pretty nasty up along McCoys Creek Blvd on either side of Stockton.  Completely choked out by vegetation and chock full of sediment.  It's going to take a lot more than $1.2M to clean it up right.  It would be really cool if they completely dredged out the silt, removed the retaining walls and restored it to more of a natural waterway.  Then install a sediment trap somewhere between King and Stockton to try to keep that in check.  That's a pipe dream though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:02:29 PM by acme54321 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
The proposed funding for 2018 is for the design of a multi-use path and to remove pipes and obstructions along the creek. The Curry administration is proposing an additional $3.4 million through 2021 to be spent for McCoys Creek.  That $3.4 million is most likely to go to the construction of the trail.

camarocane

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
IMO, the COJ should be concentrating on Hogans Creek south of Washington. Seem like that area as more potential to see growth and construction rather than McCoy's west of I-95. What ever happened to the Emerald Necklace project?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »
This would be an awesome start.  Jacksonville is not a destination city for anything.  I would love to see it become one for something positive like kayaking.  Lord knows, it has enough water! 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »
IMO, the COJ should be concentrating on Hogans Creek south of Washington. Seem like that area as more potential to see growth and construction rather than McCoy's west of I-95. What ever happened to the Emerald Necklace project?
McCoys Creek is a part of the Emerald Necklace, along with Hogans. The stretch in discussion runs from Brooklyn to Mixontown, making half of it east of I-95 and in an area seeing significant redevelopment. While it doesn't address all the issues facing the creek, it's an affordable approach to making the area more accessible to the public and recreational users.  Money is also currently being invested along Hogans Creek. There's a multiuse path being built between Springfield and Downtown as we speak.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Is there going to be a different department funded to run / maintain the 'greenways' or is it going to end up being a big splash and then a yearly decline because of the lack of money and staffing of the skeleton crew left to run Parks and Rec?

I work with those guys seasonally and I know the struggles they go through.  Adding more park land with big upfront expenditures without planning for a sustainable, long-term upkeep sound like money being flushed down the drain to me.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Noone

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
This would be an awesome start.  Jacksonville is not a destination city for anything.  I would love to see it become one for something positive like kayaking.  Lord knows, it has enough water! 

+1

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
Is there going to be a different department funded to run / maintain the 'greenways' or is it going to end up being a big splash and then a yearly decline because of the lack of money and staffing of the skeleton crew left to run Parks and Rec?

I work with those guys seasonally and I know the struggles they go through.  Adding more park land with big upfront expenditures without planning for a sustainable, long-term upkeep sound like money being flushed down the drain to me.
It's already parkland but it hasn't been maintained in decades. Half the money is for removing obstructions from the creek but good point about staffing and maintenance.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 11:35:44 PM »
Nice pictures, Lake! Appreciate the historical info, too, thanks. That sure isn't what we've got here now!

Noone

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 02:30:38 AM »
Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting 1/10/18
9:30am. In council chambers. Open to the Public. Public comment is allowed.
Agenda item VI. McCoys Creek Presentation. Councilwoman Lori Boyer and Brian Burket.