Poll

Should Myrtle Ave. Park have access to McCoys Creek?

Yes
18 (64.3%)
No
2 (7.1%)
Tell Putnam county about this
8 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: November 15, 2017, 12:54:00 PM

Author Topic: BS- Brooklyn South, Myrtle Ave. Park  (Read 8906 times)

Noone

BS- Brooklyn South, Myrtle Ave. Park
« on: July 18, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
Check this spot out. The park is locked and fenced in.

The entire area around the park shows open access to the creek. Can anyone launch a kayak there? I'd say NO. Saw JSO shutting down someone.

So should this existing Myrtle Ave. park be open to McCoys Creek and immediate access to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a FEDERAL Initiative in our 2014-560 CRA/DIA zone?

Noone

Re: BS- Brooklyn South, Myrtle Ave. Park
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
Keep voting.
This is one of the better polls.
Someone must have told Mayor Curry, Daryl Joseph, Councilmembers Boyer, Dennis, Anderson, Love, Broche, and Newby about this.
18 hours from the 7/19/17 JWC meeting in council chambers. Open to the Public.
Whose ready for a BS paddle on McCoys Creek?

Visit Jacksonville!

Noone

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:45:22 AM »
Just saw the agenda for the 7/19/17 JWC Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting at 9:30 am. In council chambers.

Seriously.

Can ANYONE identify for me where I can launch my kayak, SUP (Don't have one, yet), Inner Tube, Canoe, Non motorized watercraft LEGALLY on McCoys Creek or Hogans Creek for that matter?

Seriously.

This poll is on fire.
Thank you for your Public Participation

Seriously.

Noone

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:59 AM »
Anyone going?

I'm volunteering to sign up for the BS subcommittee on McCoys Creek

jlmann

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
I gather you're talking about mccoys creek/kayak launch and a coj meeting, but what on earth are you saying?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »
Curry's proposed budget does have a good chunk of money in it for enhancing access along Mccoys Creek. Not sure how that fits with what Noone is asking.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
I'm not even sure if those are allowed on the creek to begin with.

Noone

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 05:17:59 AM »
I gather you're talking about mccoys creek/kayak launch and a coj meeting, but what on earth are you saying?

Yes I'm talking about McCoys Creek and all of the 4.8 miles of the Rivers edge zone that was created with 2014-560 CRA/DIA zone. This new Rivers edge boundary is from the Fuller Warren Bridge to the Mathews Bridge.

Kayak launch- yes and any non motorized watercraft. Inner tube, Canoe, SUP, Wind surfer. Anna Lopez Broche was the Chair of a recent Jacksonville Waterways Subcommittee on this specific topic that will activate our Waterways.

COJ meeting? This was a meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission. Councilwoman Lori Boyer is the Chair. There are NEW RULES. I'll be reaching out to Daryl Joseph, Brian Burkett, Capt. Jim Suber, for clarification on what the fines, penalties, and seizures are for violating these NEW RULES. Who wants to monitor a camera?

So I asked and welcome any feedback from any elected official. Where are you allowed to launch a kayak, SUP, or whatever legally in our new Dowtown zone that includes McCoys Creek and Hogans Creek? Someone needs to tell Brian Burkett that they may want to hold off on approving that funding and moving forward with this guide until Duval county has their paddles together. Is the Sydney Gefen launch going to be in there? How about the kayak launch at the end of Catherine St. on Hogans Creek? How about the launch at the School Board?

Those are just 3 and can you imagine that they aren't listed in the NEW GUIDE for Downtown.

Visit Jacksonville!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:22:47 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:46:47 AM »
Keep voting! WOW,

Cranked out a bunch of emails to a bunch of leaders and media groups and lets see who will respond via email or do a story on this.
Seriously.
What are we activating?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »
Noone, did you read the TU article?

The budget Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry proposed this week includes money to remake a flood-prone creek that attracts tires and trash as a core-city greenway for biking and kayaking.

The spending plan schedules $4.75 million by 2021 to upgrade McCoys Creek, a flood-prone waterway that brushes past old industrial buildings and jungle-like thickets to reach the St. Johns River downtown.

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-07-20/jacksonville-budget-seeks-money-mccoys-creek-greenway-pipe-removal
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 06:43:10 AM »

The budget Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry proposed this week includes money to remake a flood-prone creek that attracts tires and trash as a core-city greenway for biking and kayaking.

The spending plan schedules $4.75 million by 2021 to upgrade McCoys Creek, a flood-prone waterway that brushes past old industrial buildings and jungle-like thickets to reach the St. Johns River downtown.

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-07-20/jacksonville-budget-seeks-money-mccoys-creek-greenway-pipe-removal

Thanks Lake!  What an informative article... It certainly does not leave you guessing as to what exactly the author was trying to convey.   :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Noone

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 05:28:50 AM »
Check this spot out. The park is locked and fenced in.

The entire area around the park shows open access to the creek. Can anyone launch a kayak there? I'd say NO. Saw JSO shutting down someone.

So should this existing Myrtle Ave. park be open to McCoys Creek and immediate access to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a FEDERAL Initiative in our 2014-560 CRA/DIA zone?

Lake, BT, Just read the 7/20/17 FTU Steve Patterson article and saw the 1 comment posted so far by Jason Winter and wanted to reply to him and ask him where did he launch from but it wouldn't allow me to do it. Anyway, I hope we can FIND out where he launched from.

I was at that Waterways Activation meeting where Soil and Water Conservation District elected official Shannon Blankenship spoke about the pipes that are blocking the creek. And when recognized by by the Jacksonville city council president Lori Boyer who is still the Chair of the Waterways Activation Committee I supported and echoed those same priority action moves regarding the pipes that would open up the Waterway for everyone. Good stuff.

Again I ask. Where are you allowed to launch a kayak legally on Hogans and McCoys Creek? Is Sydney Gefen going to be in the guide? The end of Catherine St. On Hogans Creek? The School Board Property?

Is Myrtle Ave. Park on McCoys Creek an option?
There are NEW RULES coming to our Waterways for Trespass. I'm not looking to have my watercraft confiscated and then be banned for a year.

Visit Jacksonville!

Noone

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
Keep voting.

Very Positively Jax.

Noone

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »

Lake, read your article in the TU.

Saw Daryl Joseph at the 7/25/17 Jacksonville city council meeting. So where is Joe Q. Public allowed to launch legally their Non Motorized Watercraft on Hogans or McCoys Creek without having your Watercraft seized and then being banned for a year. Who wants to volunteer to monitor a camera?

Where is that information being posted?

Keep voting. This is an Awesome pole.

Noone

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
Thank you to all those who have voted.