Author Topic: Too many watering holes?  (Read 4723 times)

remc86007

Re: Too many watering holes?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
^I'd say that crime map is not remotely accurate.

FlaBoy

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
I worry more about drunk drivers than anything else. If the market can sustain bars, etc, then good. But without public transportation, it's kind of scary. I suppose Uber/Lyft etc might be making a difference there (that wasn't an option when I lived in Jax).

Did you know, thanks to the JSO crime map, there were only 3 DUI arrests over the last 4 weeks of data in Duval County? Either the data is wrong or the JSO is not focusing on it, one or the other. I find this to be extremely low in a city with as many bars and booze halls as Jax. I do believe that Uber and Lyft are having an effect on DUI. It is far easier to pay $15 for a ride than pay $10000 for a DUI. Thankfully more and more people see the value of this. But only 3 is really low.

More alcohol leads to more assaults and ultimately more demands on an already taxed police department. I would not compare Jax to Miami, there is way too much money in Miami, or Orlando or Atlanta, these are all destination cities. Instead, I would simply look at what effect alcohol has on the community. You are already seeing more issues along King Street with robberies of patrons coming out late at night. So you have to add more off duty cops or ask for more resources, costs of doing business go up and people may not come back due to the threat of safety. Once the idea of safety is introduced, just ask downtown and the Landing about what happens, people don't come back.

The Jax Beach mayor now has a public safety issue. Just as Sleiman has one at the Landing.

http://resources.prev.org/documents/AlcoholViolenceGruenewald.pdf

Ok Grandpa. We will try to keep the kids off your lawn.  ::)

mtraininjax

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »

Based on pigs flying?

There are far more crimes that are committed, but never reported. There are off duty cops patrolling "Liquor Lane" as King Street has become. There are a lot of warnings given.......now, but that will change as the JSO adds more cops for the area.

Crave, in Avondale, is closing its doors. Look out for another 100 seat restaurant coming to the Shoppes.......with no parking.

Ok Grandpa. We will try to keep the kids off your lawn.

Go ahead.......Make my day......PUNK!  8)
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

remc86007

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »

Based on pigs flying?

No, not flying pigs. My opinion is based on having sat in on the calendar call of a circuit court judge in Duval county for the referenced 4 weeks and personally seeing more than three DUI cases that were initiated during that time period. Also, four years ago, I was told by a JSO officer that the map is not very accurate. I don't know how relevant that statement is today, but the city's website does highlight " This information is not intended to serve as official crime data" for a reason.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »

Based on pigs flying?
Crave, in Avondale, is closing its doors. Look out for another 100 seat restaurant coming to the Shoppes.......with no parking.

Ok Grandpa. We will try to keep the kids off your lawn.

Go ahead.......Make my day......PUNK!  8)

The guy who brags about living near Orsay is afraid of a new restaurant coming to the area.....  You're the problem.

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
I hear tell of a new beer and wine spot coming to Stockton.

mtraininjax

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 09:23:48 AM »
The guy who brags about living near Orsay is afraid of a new restaurant coming to the area.....  You're the problem.

Lol, I'll remember your quote when you are held up in your driveway by a drifter.  8)
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »

Lol, I'll remember your quote when you are held up in your driveway by a drifter.  8)

"Drifter". LOL.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Captain Zissou

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 10:22:25 AM »

As long as there isn't an 1800s-era railway built through Avondale, I don't think you'll have to worry about "drifters".  Gypsies would be a more likely possibility. 

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 10:33:25 AM »

As long as there isn't an 1800s-era railway built through Avondale, I don't think you'll have to worry about "drifters".  Gypsies would be a more likely possibility.

Don't forget the vagabonds.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »

Safety is not a joking matter. All I know is that when I am driving through Avondale, I have the doors locked and one in the chamber.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »

Safety is not a joking matter. All I know is that when I am driving through Avondale, I have the doors locked and one in the chamber.

Why would you have a door in the chamber?

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »

I take it you do not know much about guns.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
Don't forget the vagabonds.
And the raggamuffins.

Are you sure you have the right neighborhood?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »

I take it you do not know much about guns.