Author Topic: Cozy Tea pushed out because of extreme rents  (Read 3015 times)

ChriswUfGator

Re: Cozy Tea pushed out because of extreme rents
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
If Cozy Tea wanted to do more business and stay in 5 Points maybe they should have stayed open longer than 4 hours a day.

That was absolutely their issue. Every time I tried to go it was closed.

FlaBoy

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »
Agreed. Bring back O'Brothers LOL. The big space on the corner where Fan and Stoves used to be is still open. Anyone know if there is any movement there?

I haven't tried to get an update in awhile, but last I heard was supposed to be a fairly well-known local restaurant moving in.

5 point need more restaurants and bars and less oft hose sneaker shop, new leaf place and salon.

While this was hard to read, I think I disagree with you. Retail and Salons drive foot traffic and are great additions to the block.

Yeah I would agree too. Most blocks of Manhattan (and other vibrant, walkable environments) have a diverse mix of establishments. If you have a nightlife district with a row of bars and clubs, which can be nice in certain scenarios, then you're left with little morning/daytime vibrancy.

When was that last update? Any hints like the part of town the current local restaurant is in?

Also, restaurants that are open for lunch but can transition into nightlife like Hoptinger or Black Sheep are the best. I wish Derby would give the later night bar scene on their patio a try. I think it would be successful. Diversity is good too but places like Cozy Tea and New Leaf do not provide much foot traffic.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
Diversity is good too but places like Cozy Tea and New Leaf do not provide much foot traffic.

Every storefront doesn't need to drive traffic, but they should all do something to keep the people who did come out to stick around, that's why retail works there.   A full belly and a couple libations make it a helluva lot easier to make my decision when purchasing some clothes.

I honestly think that a legit pool-hall 12-15 tables, by the hour only (think Perfect Rack) would be a good fit in 5 points.  It wouldn't necessarily bring people there, but would offer 'something to do' after dinner and a few cocktails while plotting the next stop for the evening.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

RiversideRambler

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
I wish Derby would give the later night bar scene on their patio a try. I think it would be successful.

This.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
The restaurants have been great for 5 points but there has to be a good mix of retail. APB seems to always have a small crowd waiting outside their door. Generation Us is great! I love the way they switch out their furniture pieces.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:35:26 AM by JaxAvondale »

pierre

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »
If Cozy Tea wanted to do more business and stay in 5 Points maybe they should have stayed open longer than 4 hours a day.

That was absolutely their issue. Every time I tried to go it was closed.

Definitely. Whenever my wife and I would go to Five Points to eat or watch a movie, the joke was always if Cozy Tea was ever actually open.

remc86007

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
^Yep, I've driven there from the other side of town twice only to find it closed. First time was my fault I guess for not checking their hours, but the second time, the hours posted said they would be open and they weren't. I didn't try again...