Author Topic: Avondale: Riverside's Residential Ideal  (Read 3938 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Avondale: Riverside's Residential Ideal
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
I've always thought the modern accepted boundaries to be McDuff, Roosevelt and Fishweir creek.

I remember reading that Belvedere and Seminole as the 'northern' (or whatever) boundary - but McDuff makes a nicer divider.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
It's a little grey, but the most commonly accepted border between Riverside and Avondale is McDuff. The USPS says it's King (zip code changes).

Generally most people say McDuff, Fishweir Creek, Roosevelt Blvd, and the River

I'd put the Southern Border at San Juan, not Fischweir. 
Isn't that location known as Fairfax?

Yes, but many would consider it part of Avondale. Names with cachet tend to take on more area over time.

The houses seem a lot different over there, though. The area feels different to me. Or always did.

Edit: come to think of it, once you get past Edgewood, it all starts to feel less "Avondaley" to me.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:16:50 AM by Adam White »

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
I've always thought the modern accepted boundaries to be McDuff, Roosevelt and Fishweir creek.

I remember reading that Belvedere and Seminole as the 'northern' (or whatever) boundary - but McDuff makes a nicer divider.

Actually, I believe that's correct as it relates to the original, "master-planned" development that originally was Avondale. I believe that Seminole was originally West St.

Tacachale

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »
It's a little grey, but the most commonly accepted border between Riverside and Avondale is McDuff. The USPS says it's King (zip code changes).

Yes, but many would consider it part of Avondale. Names with cachet tend to take on more area over time.

The houses seem a lot different over there, though. The area feels different to me. Or always did.

Edit: come to think of it, once you get past Edgewood, it all starts to feel less "Avondaley" to me.

True. South of there the houses tend to be smaller, and newer. "Avondale" just swallowed them up over time, as they appear to be swallowing Fairfax (but notably, not Lakeshore.) I expect as Fairfax gentrifies, Lakeshore will follow along eventually.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »

Technically, yes.  But, a lot of my friends growing up lived over there and it was always called Avondale in my experience.  Plus, you say Fairfax to most people and they have no effing clue what you are talking about.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »

Technically, yes.  But, a lot of my friends growing up lived over there and it was always called Avondale in my experience.  Plus, you say Fairfax to most people and they have no effing clue what you are talking about.
They have no clue probably because nobody was calling it Fairfax.

Should we keep calling everything north of I-10 and downtown the north side?  I've never seen another city that cares so little for accurate neighborhood naming.   West side, north side, south side, Orange Park....just labeled huge swaths of hundreds of square miles and ignoring dozens of actual neighborhood names because we can't be bothered to learn more than 4 or 5.

iluvolives

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »

By using Edgewood as a border than the Shoppes of Avondale would not be included in what feels like "Avondale" to you. Using Seminole or McDuff and Fishweir creek makes them the center of Avondale.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »
Based off the city's property appraisers, Avondale starts once you pass Willow Branch Avenue and ends before Glendale Street.

mtraininjax

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 06:40:44 AM »
True. South of there the houses tend to be smaller, and newer. "Avondale" just swallowed them up over time, as they appear to be swallowing Fairfax (but notably, not Lakeshore.) I expect as Fairfax gentrifies, Lakeshore will follow along eventually.

Avondale never "swallowed" up a swath of housing. The media, in their laziness to report fair and accurate descriptions did this to the area. To this day, pick any news station, they will call the Daily's at Roosevelt - Avondale. Fairfax has a set boundary, they EVEN HAVE SIGNS to designate the area. I know, its scary that people cannot read these days. Go figure.

RA does not wish to extend past its southern border of Fishweir creek. There are enough homes around FCCJ that look more like homes that belong in Murray Hill, than what Telfair Stockton had envisioned for the area. In fact the area really sees change from Dancy , west toward 17 and to Fishweir. The lots are larger, there are fewer parks in and around the streets (no Edgewood Circle Park 1, 2 or 3), fewer 2 story homes and more 1 story homes.

Many dont consider those homes to be "Avondale", those built west of the 4 original streets, Talbot, Edgewood, Challen and Avondale were built after the great homes of Avondale. Built in the 30s and 40s, as the originals were first constructed in the 20s, along with the Shoppes of Avondale.  Most of Fairfax was started in the 50's.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 06:54:59 AM »

By using Edgewood as a border than the Shoppes of Avondale would not be included in what feels like "Avondale" to you. Using Seminole or McDuff and Fishweir creek makes them the center of Avondale.

I'm not saying it isn't Avondale. I know the boundaries of Avondale very well. I'm just saying it feels different to me. (And a lot of it depends where you are when you cross Edgewood).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:59:35 AM by Adam White »

Tacachale

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 04:43:20 PM »

Avondale never "swallowed" up a swath of housing. The media, in their laziness to report fair and accurate descriptions did this to the area. To this day, pick any news station, they will call the Daily's at Roosevelt - Avondale. Fairfax has a set boundary, they EVEN HAVE SIGNS to designate the area. I know, its scary that people cannot read these days. Go figure.

RA does not wish to extend past its southern border of Fishweir creek. There are enough homes around FCCJ that look more like homes that belong in Murray Hill, than what Telfair Stockton had envisioned for the area. In fact the area really sees change from Dancy , west toward 17 and to Fishweir. The lots are larger, there are fewer parks in and around the streets (no Edgewood Circle Park 1, 2 or 3), fewer 2 story homes and more 1 story homes.

Many dont consider those homes to be "Avondale", those built west of the 4 original streets, Talbot, Edgewood, Challen and Avondale were built after the great homes of Avondale. Built in the 30s and 40s, as the originals were first constructed in the 20s, along with the Shoppes of Avondale.  Most of Fairfax was started in the 50's.

Yes, Avondale has swallowed up a lot of area beyond the original Avondale development. It's a natural progression when placename catch on; it also happened with San Marco and Riverside, and the "sides" and Arlington back in the day. The swallowing of Fairfax has less to do with the media than locals and realtors applying a well recognized name with a lot of cachet to their area. It would be cool for Fairfax to take on its distinct identity like Murray Hill and Brooklyn have.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?