Author Topic: Rep. Kim Daniels being investigated by the FEC  (Read 6315 times)

spuwho

Rep. Kim Daniels being investigated by the FEC
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
Per Jacksonville.com:

http://jacksonville.com/news/florida/elections/2017-03-20/state-rep-kimberly-daniels-accused-using-campaign-funds-personal

State Rep. Kimberly Daniels accused of using campaign funds for personal expenses

TALLAHASSEE | State Rep. Kimberly Daniels is under investigation by the Florida Elections Commission after it found probable cause that she used campaign funds for personal expenses and later falsely reported information on finance reports.

The allegations stem from 2015, when Daniels was running for re-election to the Jacksonville City Council. According to records obtained from the Elections Commission, an investigation was launched after a complaint was filed that year about a $4,000 expenditure listed on her campaign finance report.

Daniels is accused of using the money to purchase a magazine advertisement promoting a book she wrote called “The Demon Dictionary.” The advertisement, published in Shofar Magazine alongside an article in which Daniels discussed Jacksonville politics, encouraged readers to purchase the book without any mention of her political campaign.

Daniels declined to answer questions when a reporter stopped her in the Capitol on Monday. Her attorney did not return a phone call seeking comment.

She has until April 12 to request a formal hearing on the charges. If she is found responsible for violations, she could be fined.

According to the state records, when the Elections Commission asked Daniels to justify the expenditures, she said the $4,000 was paid to Shofar’s editor for campaign-related services. Daniels said that Katina “P.K.” Mickens was hired to cover campaign events and manage the candidate’s Facebook account.

Mickens told investigators a different story. She said the money was for the article and the ad and there was never agreement that Mickens would assist with Daniels’ campaign.

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Rep. Kim Daniels being investigated by the FEC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
1. Who could have possibly seen this coming? (A: literally everyone)
2.  God the delicious irony if a book called the "Demon Dictionary" takes her down.
3. Seriously, fucking adults write, publish, and read something called the 'Demon Dictionary'? And one of those is allowed to have a say in anyone else's government?

That's the Duval Democrats for you. They effectively rewarded Daniels for an embarrassing loss (and embarrassing tenure) in her at-large council seat with an unlosable Democratic district seat in the Florida House.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
Well, hold on there, Taca... You  know that I'm no Kim Daniels fan, but her winning that seat had nothing to do with the local party.

I mean, Daniels cheated.  She committed additional campaign finance violations in 2016 that have yet to come to light.  There's some real estate questions lingering from her divorce case down south.

Then, she had tons of money come in from Republicans.  What the Rummells see in her I will never understand.  Every legit Democrat I know worked their butts off for Leslie Jean-Bart.  But Kim has, you know, a church.  And lots of free labor.  AND SHE CHEATED.

The Duval Democrats have no rewards to offer. 
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

Apache

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »
2.  God the delicious irony if a book called the "Demon Dictionary" takes her down.
3. Seriously, fucking adults write, publish, and read something called the 'Demon Dictionary'? And one of those is allowed to have a say in anyone else's government?

That's the Duval Democrats for you. They effectively rewarded Daniels for an embarrassing loss (and embarrassing tenure) in her at-large council seat with an unlosable Democratic district seat in the Florida House.
One could argue republicans are just as much to blame. They best we could put up against her for the At Large council seat was David Taylor. If we had someone that was just half as bad as him, Daniels would never have had the council seat in the first place and possibly would just have gone back to quietly demon busting and just embarrass herself instead of the whole county.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »
Well, hold on there, Taca... You  know that I'm no Kim Daniels fan, but her winning that seat had nothing to do with the local party.

I mean, Daniels cheated.  She committed additional campaign finance violations in 2016 that have yet to come to light.  There's some real estate questions lingering from her divorce case down south.

Then, she had tons of money come in from Republicans.  What the Rummells see in her I will never understand.  Every legit Democrat I know worked their butts off for Leslie Jean-Bart.  But Kim has, you know, a church.  And lots of free labor.  AND SHE CHEATED.

It's a Democratic district unlosable by whatever Democrat gets out of the party primary. If the Dems can't keep embarrassing people like Daniels from winning the primary, they're even more to blame.

One could argue republicans are just as much to blame. They best we could put up against her for the At Large council seat was David Taylor. If we had someone that was just half as bad as him, Daniels would never have had the council seat in the first place and possibly would just have gone back to quietly demon busting and just embarrass herself instead of the whole county.

True but now Taylor's political aspirations are over after his loss, and the seat has a much better representative, Anna Brosche. Daniels followed her loss with a decisive win in a higher level race. 2 of the local Democratic representatives are now people who followed losses in countywide races with wins in unlosable district races. To me, this is perhaps the single biggest problem for Democrats locally - they can't consistently win in countywide elections and fall back on minority access districts that they often stack with weak candidates.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
Really? Everybody knows she didn't even live in the district she was elected from, but what takes her down is a "demon dictionary" pamphlet?

fsu813

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 10:56:20 AM »
Guess who's filed to run for City Council District 10?

Everyone's favorite Demon Buster!

I ❤ Jacksonville.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
The election in 2023 will be after the next round of redistricting (unless it gets held up by court challenges).  It will be interesting to see how the Council redistricts that area (and all the others).