Author Topic: Hottest Spots in the SJTC?  (Read 15992 times)

KenFSU

Re: Hottest Spots in the SJTC?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
You do you, Glenn.

Farm-to-table, indeed.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
You do you, Glenn.

Farm-to-table, indeed.

You know, when you think of it, all food is "farm-to-table" eventually!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

FlaBoy

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »
I remember when Whiskey River was the cool place to be  ;D

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »
My vote goes to the dollar tree!

Where else can you get valet parking and go pick up a cheap police badge and mustache made in china for just $1!?
Jags season ticket holder.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
Hey all, I just finally took the plunge about a month or so ago and moved into 5 Thousand Town in the heart of the Town Center and have been having a blast walking and exploring all of the sights and sounds. The Southside forum has been a little slow lately so I wanted to spice things up and share my Hot 5 Spots and see what yours are too!

My top 5!

1. Blackfinn! The dark, sexy vibe! The killer tunes! The diverse menu. I have supper at least once a week here. Try the queso dip and make sure to say hi to Cliff behind the bar! It's like a little piece of manhattan here in Jacksonville.

2. The Cheesecake Factory. There are no easy decisions at TCF, especially when it comes to picking your slice! Try the peanut butter cup cheesecake, you won't be disappointed. Sip on a beer at the bar and watch the foot traffic bussle by! It can get a little noisy so for any serious discussion before or after walk next door to Barnes & Noble to indulge in a good book and a hot mocha coffee!

3. Paneras Bread. We all love the decadent things in life, but Paneras balances out the rich dinners of Brio, Pf Changs and Maggianos with good, farm to table, nutritious foods. Pro-tip: If you are good with technology, bypass the lines and order at the kiosk. And always get your soup in a bread bowl!

4. Cooper's Hawk. Wine lovers, grab your stemmed glass and dress to impress. You never know who you will see at Jacksonville's hottest spot. Try a wine flight with crackers and cheese and come prepared for a discussion with just about anyone about the arts and culture. And ask Connie to tell you about the sliders while you're at it!

5. M Shack. Town Center hamburger heads unite! Some of the most delicious food you will ever find between two buns! a diverse menu paired with an intriguing beer list. You'll leave full on food and on fun!

Ok Metrojacksonville, what are your hot 5 spots in the SJTC?!?

This. Is. Hilarious. Reads like SJTC marketing copy.

I'm pumped about Applebee's! All natural ingredients with savory notes, and WOW, have you tried their cheese sticks?!? Heather is dynamite behind the salad bar!

Enjoy living in the midst of mall parking lot seas.

funwithteeth

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »
You do you, Glenn.

Farm-to-table, indeed.
I read the entire post picturing

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 03:08:31 PM »
You do you, Glenn.

Farm-to-table, indeed.
I read the entire post picturing

bahahahaha
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »
^For both Cantina Laredo and Seasons 52 I agree that the food isn't bad. They are expensive for what they are and I just don't love the overall dining experience.  There are similar places around town that I prefer.

The one thing the southside is good at is providing a jumping off place for young people who are new to Jax.  I've found apartments for people in less than a day on the southside that are nice-ish, affordable, allow dogs, close to work, close to food, etc...  After a year of doing time on the Southside, you determine whether you're a beach person or a riverside person and then you find a good spot to live.  Finding a riverside apartment/house that meets the criteria above can take a month or more.

remc86007

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »
The one thing the southside is good at is providing a jumping off place for young people who are new to Jax.

That's a good point. The southside is very "livable" without much knowledge of Jacksonville generally. In that respect, it's a good place for UNF to be. All the new students from around the state have an easy time finding everything they need within a few miles. I remember when I was at UNF many of my fellow students who were not from Jacksonville loved being next to the Town Center and some decided to stay in Jacksonville after graduation as a result of their pleasant experience living in that part of town.

RattlerGator

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
True, remc86007, it's also very generically "Florida" *and* has easy access to the beach. That's why I call that area SouthCity -- it really is an urban center, Florida-style. Plus, the "Southside" can be a useless term; it covers such a wide geography.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
^For both Cantina Laredo and Seasons 52 I agree that the food isn't bad. They are expensive for what they are and I just don't love the overall dining experience.  There are similar places around town that I prefer.

The one thing the southside is good at is providing a jumping off place for young people who are new to Jax.  I've found apartments for people in less than a day on the southside that are nice-ish, affordable, allow dogs, close to work, close to food, etc...  After a year of doing time on the Southside, you determine whether you're a beach person or a riverside person and then you find a good spot to live.  Finding a riverside apartment/house that meets the criteria above can take a month or more.

They aren't quite the MJ forum's target demo, but there are a *lot* of people who consider the Southside the best place in town. New homes and lots of apartments and condos, affordable for white collar types, "safety", close to much of the white collar employment base, and fairly centrally located at this point. That mall sucks for we the urbane, but I have multiple friends who will probably never leave Southside  (unless its to St. Johns County or the Beaches). With one couple, one works in Springfield and the other works from home, and they enjoy a lot of the urban core culture and food scene, but I can't imagine them even considering moving here.

On the other hand, so many of the new arrivals in the urban core, especially in R/A, Brooklyn, and San Marco, seem to be young professionals. This will probably continue as the downtown employment base increases, new apartments are built, and the area is increasingly seen as safe for Chad and Stacey. In 10 years I wouldn't be surprised if Riverside looked like Avondale and San Marco do now, Murray Hill looked like Riverside now, and (say) Lake Shore was the new Murray Hill. We may even have (shudder) a Cheesecake Factory in the Urban Core.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:57:57 PM by Tacachale »
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
The one thing the southside is good at is providing a jumping off place for young people who are new to Jax.

That's a good point. The southside is very "livable" without much knowledge of Jacksonville generally. In that respect, it's a good place for UNF to be. All the new students from around the state have an easy time finding everything they need within a few miles. I remember when I was at UNF many of my fellow students who were not from Jacksonville loved being next to the Town Center and some decided to stay in Jacksonville after graduation as a result of their pleasant experience living in that part of town.

I have a friend who's not originally from Jacksonville but moved back here partly because of how much he enjoyed it when he was at UNF. At UNF he barely saw any of the rest of town besides Southside and the Beaches. That's still most of what he's seen, but we've expanded his horizons a bit, and he enjoys the city even more now.

remc86007

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »
We may even have (shudder) have a Cheesecake Factory in the Urban Core.
That's an awful thought.

I-10east

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
I know it's another chain, but I'm really looking forward to Chuy's.

Have you been to one before? If not, I wouldn't get your hopes up. The one in Tallahassee that opened recently ranks among my top ten least favorite restaurants.

I went to the one in G-ville. It kinda has a fun tacky souvenir shop vibe in the entrance area. The tacos and sauces are decent.

southsider1015

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »
So much snobbery in this thread.  Hilarious.  Can't be outshined by the positivity.

Love Moxie, Cooper's, Chipotle, Cantina, Capital, J's, Chick-fil-A.

Excited for Chueys, Wawa's, Firebirds. 

The tax base is THICK from SJTC.