Author Topic: Hottest Spots in the SJTC?  (Read 15993 times)

Glenn VL

Hottest Spots in the SJTC?
« on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
Hey all, I just finally took the plunge about a month or so ago and moved into 5 Thousand Town in the heart of the Town Center and have been having a blast walking and exploring all of the sights and sounds. The Southside forum has been a little slow lately so I wanted to spice things up and share my Hot 5 Spots and see what yours are too!

My top 5!

1. Blackfinn! The dark, sexy vibe! The killer tunes! The diverse menu. I have supper at least once a week here. Try the queso dip and make sure to say hi to Cliff behind the bar! It's like a little piece of manhattan here in Jacksonville.

2. The Cheesecake Factory. There are no easy decisions at TCF, especially when it comes to picking your slice! Try the peanut butter cup cheesecake, you won't be disappointed. Sip on a beer at the bar and watch the foot traffic bussle by! It can get a little noisy so for any serious discussion before or after walk next door to Barnes & Noble to indulge in a good book and a hot mocha coffee!

3. Paneras Bread. We all love the decadent things in life, but Paneras balances out the rich dinners of Brio, Pf Changs and Maggianos with good, farm to table, nutritious foods. Pro-tip: If you are good with technology, bypass the lines and order at the kiosk. And always get your soup in a bread bowl!

4. Cooper's Hawk. Wine lovers, grab your stemmed glass and dress to impress. You never know who you will see at Jacksonville's hottest spot. Try a wine flight with crackers and cheese and come prepared for a discussion with just about anyone about the arts and culture. And ask Connie to tell you about the sliders while you're at it!

5. M Shack. Town Center hamburger heads unite! Some of the most delicious food you will ever find between two buns! a diverse menu paired with an intriguing beer list. You'll leave full on food and on fun!

Ok Metrojacksonville, what are your hot 5 spots in the SJTC?!?

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Hottest Spots in the SJTC?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
The parking lot by the Target in the middle of summer. Like the third circle of hell.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

brainstormer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:59:08 PM »
The parking lot by the Target in the middle of summer. Like the third circle of hell.

So true. ;D

Glenn, you need to check out Ovinte if you haven't already. The bacon wrapped dates are delicious. And if you like bourbon, the Bees Knees Smash. Soooo goood.

blizz01

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
I know it's another chain, but I'm really looking forward to Chuy's.

remc86007

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:06 PM »
I know it's another chain, but I'm really looking forward to Chuy's.

Have you been to one before? If not, I wouldn't get your hopes up. The one in Tallahassee that opened recently ranks among my top ten least favorite restaurants.

blizz01

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:27:56 PM »
Yes, actually.  Including the original in Austin. Too bad about the Tallahassee location, it's always been a pleasant experience for me.

remc86007

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:31:50 PM »
Yes, actually.  Including the original in Austin. Too bad about the Tallahassee location, it's always been a pleasant experience for me.

Good to hear. On your recommendation I might try the one in Jax when it opens.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »
I really appreciate Glenn's enthusiasm, but this was a big LOL.  The only places I ever eat are Bento, Moxie & Chipotle because I the "nice restaurants" at SJTC are garbage.  It seemed like everyone was having a birthday dinner at Cooper's Hawk when it first opened , so I've eaten there 3 times. It wasn't bad.

spuwho

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
While chains are not always desirable, there is a direct relationship between the franchisee and the quality of the establishment.

For example, I like Chik-Fil-A, but I have been to some CFA's in Georgia that would be considered an embarrassment to the chain.

My more recent example is Red Robin.  The ones out in Seattle and California are well run and well done.  The ones I have been to east of the Mississippi have been awful to average.

Stephen and I found that the Carrabbas @ Regency seem to have a knack for good preparation, but the rest were average. Same franchisee owns all of them in greater Jax, but that one seemed to have a good GM.

It's can be easy to write off an entire chain if you don't like the menu or setting. But in some cases I have found the variations in how the operator runs the local establishment can make a huge difference in the experience.

Just my 4 cents.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
I really appreciate Glenn's enthusiasm, but this was a big LOL.  The only places I ever eat are Bento, Moxie & Chipotle because I the "nice restaurants" at SJTC are garbage.  It seemed like everyone was having a birthday dinner at Cooper's Hawk when it first opened , so I've eaten there 3 times. It wasn't bad.

Seriously, I swear the first time I read through I thought it was satire...as I got to the end I wondered if this guy could be serious so I reread it through that lens a second time. This slayed me.

3. Paneras Bread. We all love the decadent things in life, but Paneras balances out the rich dinners of Brio, Pf Changs and Maggianos with good, farm to table, nutritious foods. Pro-tip: If you are good with technology, bypass the lines and order at the kiosk. And always get your soup in a bread bowl!

Glenn, you are an excellent writer and have infectious enthusiasm. No knock on you, it's just funny based on the general viewpoint of your audience here. Luckily you threw in M Shack and not Burgerfi ;) Obviously you're in a booming area and within short order, should you stay at 5000 Town, you will have far more options nearby with all the development ongoing.

I'm no SJTC veteran, so my hotspot list is far shorter...

Bento. Chipotle (how do we not have any closer to the urban core??). Apple. Costco. Top Golf. Tinseltown on Tuesdays. Copeland's for weekend brunch. Perhaps Bottlenose Brewing when they open. (Ok I know those last few aren't "SJTC" but for me it's all the same region)

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
^ Costco hotdogs are the truth.

Snufflee

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:31 AM »

This X10.....God I hate Town Center....this abomination of chain restaurants and meh shopping actually pushed the wife and I to have 2 Amazon Prime accounts. 
And so it goes

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »

This X10.....God I hate Town Center....this abomination of chain restaurants and meh shopping actually pushed the wife and I to have 2 Amazon Prime accounts.

Sometimes I almost miss it. It's an experience so intrinsically linked to me being on vacation, that I look forward to sweating like a pig and wondering why I bothered going into DSW.

I like some aspects of the Town Center and in the right weather, it can be a very pleasant experience. But I usually associate it with either sweating bullets or running to get out of a downpour.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

KenFSU

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »
I love this post more and more each time I read it.

Glenn is the hero that MJ needs, but not the one that it deserves right now.

remc86007

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
I love this post more and more each time I read it.

Glenn is the hero that MJ needs, but not the one that it deserves right now.
Agreed.

I don't care for the town center and I'm much more interested in development in the urban core, but I'd love to see more people enthusiastic about other areas of Jacksonville join and contribute to Metro Jacksonville.

Thanks for the post Glenn. For as much as people make fun of the town center, you, unlike most of us, could have a (mostly) walkable lifestyle.