Author Topic: Inside the Cowford Chophouse  (Read 36261 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
Re: Inside the Cowford Chophouse
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2019, 12:36:58 PM »
Bar Bites are Happy Hour only.

If you go on a Saturday and want to sit on the roof deck you get the main menu, nothing else. No burger, steak tacos, sliders,
not even sure if you can get steak frites.  Just appetizers or side dishes if you don't want a 'spensive steak.

I just called Cowford and was told the same thing. After 6, only the dinner menu is available.

Did Mike get special treatment? Different information? Bar Bite Gate!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »
My apologies for not being more specific, as I read MusicMan's comments to infer that the bar menu was gone all together. It is not.

The bar menu is still there, as a happy hour menu, which is what the original intention of a bar menu is. Just like the availability of the bar bites menu at Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Chart House, etc. 

At dinner, you will only be able to order from a dinner menu.

MusicMan

« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
So my question is, why not offer Bar Bites on the rooftop after 9 pm?  They were being offered up until a few weeks ago. Just do not understand that. I am pretty certain lots of customers only want small plates after 9 pm, not full dinner service.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »

The bar menu is still there, as a happy hour menu, which is what the original intention of a bar menu is.

I think you need to get out more. :)

I can't speak to what their "original intention"was, but we go to plenty of restaurants (Cowfordish price range) where the bar menu is.....a menu designed for the bar. (Even at "dinner" time). I would say this has become more common in recent years.

I am surprised the bar menu didn't do better (outside of happy hour) for Cowford considering their size and layout. Not to mention the Jax demos. Shows you how much I know. Although, part of me wonders if this is just to simplify things during dinner service due to some of their kitchen challenges.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »

The bar menu is still there, as a happy hour menu, which is what the original intention of a bar menu is.

I can't speak to what their "original intention"was, but we go to plenty of restaurants (Cowfordish price range) where the bar menu is.....a menu designed for the bar. (Even at "dinner" time). I would say this has become more common in recent years.

I am surprised the bar menu didn't do better (outside of happy hour) for Cowford considering their size and layout. Not to mention the Jax demos. Shows you how much I know. Although, part of me wonders if this is just to simplify things during dinner service due to some of their kitchen challenges.

You clearly don't know me, so will take your suggestion to 'get out more' in stride  :)

I'm fully aware what a bar menu is, however my comment was directed as an apples to apples comparison of steakhouses in the immediate area, similar menu, similar reliance on corporate accounts, similar price points, etc as Cowford. Although you are correct in that getting away from happy hour-specific bar menus has been the trend of late. Roy's is a good example of this. Btw, more to come on the Roy's front...

I don't work for, nor own any part of Cowford, but the last few times I've been up on the roof... the only way I could tell I was at Cowford and not the rooftop at Hoptingers Five Points was the view of the Main Street Bridge.  I don't fault a steakhouse for wanting to be more like a steakhouse, and catering less to the Bud Light and flip flops crowd.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:50:58 PM by fieldafm »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
I don't work for, nor own any part of Cowford, but the last few times I've been up on the roof... the only way I could tell I was at Cowford and not the rooftop at Hoptingers Five Points was the view of the Main Street Bridge.  I don't fault a steakhouse for wanting to be more like a steakhouse, and catering less to the Bud Light and flip flops crowd.

Harsh, broseph.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Snaketoz

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »

I don't fault a steakhouse for wanting to be more like a steakhouse, and catering less to the Bud Light and flip flops crowd.
I agree.  Please don't let them become what the typical airline passenger is now.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »

You clearly don't know me, so will take your suggestion to 'get out more' in stride  :)

I'm fully aware what a bar menu is, however my comment was directed as an apples to apples comparison of steakhouses in the immediate area, similar menu, similar reliance on corporate accounts, similar price points, etc as Cowford. Although you are correct in that getting away from happy hour-specific bar menus has been the trend of late. Roy's is a good example of this. Btw, more to come on the Roy's front...

Roys? Yeah, you definitely need to get out more...perhaps out of Jax more :)

Interesting comment on the rooftop demos. I wouldn't have guessed that. Of course, with this groups restaurant track record, not sure how picky they want to be about customers....

MusicMan

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »
Field, post some pics of the two rooftops you mention. Pretty sure the rest of us can tell the difference.......

Ultimately it's about drawing and retaining customers. I went up to the roof to meet friends after Artwalk. We all wanted a bite of food and some drinks. We were told they had ended the bar menu that day. So in the future if all I want is a lite bite and a drink (at any time outside of Happy Hour) I will probably NOT go to Cowford. If I want a full steak dinner I will consider it, but there is almost no chance I will choose to sit at the rooftop bar and eat it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:05:30 PM by MusicMan »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2019, 05:02:16 PM »

I don't fault them, but here's the thing: If you want to class it up, don't have a dress code and not enforce it! On the second floor as an example, last time I was there I was explicitly told that you need a jacket to sit up there. I have no issue with that. But when I went, they let anyone in there, including a Mark Zuckerberg look alike complete with the zipped up hoody.

My feeling is this: If you want to have a dress code great, if not then great. But, decide what you want an enforce it.

Now, related to the roof: I don't think a more casual dress code is unreasonable as in the summer it's 1,000 degrees outside in Florida. But, they don't seem to know who they want to cater to up there then. Are they going River and Post? Black Sheep? Hoptinger?

All of these are fine, but you have to decide.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2019, 03:08:10 PM »
article about full menu added to rooftop.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/05/15/cowford-chophouse-begins-serving-full-menu-on.html

Must have been Mike and a buddy....

"A few months ago I saw two guys in shorts and flip flops on the roof sharing a tomahawk," Klempf said. "And I thought that was so interesting."

MusicMan

« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2019, 05:35:59 PM »
Thanks SMM. Timely article. I'll just say IMO getting rid of the bar menu will hurt sales, not help sales.

remc86007

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2019, 08:33:56 AM »
Hopefully it will continue to be available next door at Bold City.