Author Topic: Commuter Rail: Let's be bold  (Read 1928 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Commuter Rail: Let's be bold
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:00:00 AM »
Commuter Rail: Let's be bold

It's time for bold thinking on developing alternative transportation systems in Northeast Florida.  If city officials come together to look beyond the boxes of their own Clay, Duval and St. Johns county lines, the inconceivable could become achievable.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/272

Jimmy Midyette, Jr.

We will do this.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:56:23 AM »
We will do this.  The only question is: when will we do it?  After we experiment with BRT?  When we realize that we can't pave our way to better transportation options?  When we look around our state and see that more forward-thinking communities are continuing to pass us by?  We should be in talks with our county-neighbors today.  We should be talking to FEC and CSX today.  

Great job, Ennis -- as always.  Political will needs to develop around your vision.

DQ

missing out
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:58:43 AM »
Not moving forward with this plan could be the single biggest missed opportunity in Jacksonville's history.

Everything is already in place; the infrastructure, the money (BJP), the routes, the reduced freight traffic. The only thing missing is the will.

This should, without a doubt, be Jacksonville's goal. NOT a bus rapid transit system.

!

As usual...
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:48:05 AM »
Good job on this one. I hope our city officials wake up. This should be part of the debate between would be mayor's in the election. I'd like to see this article given in it's entirety and see how Peyton can debunk it or if the elected hopeful supports it. As said, this is not rocket science, it's very easy to see why this is better than paving 1/2 of our city for 20 more buses. What a joke...

southern

missing
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 11:27:34 AM »
There is a section missing that Metro Jacksonville should have considered. Because i grew up on the northside i know that rail goes through Eastport into Oceanway and near the old Northside dump and JEA. I don't know how close this runs to the new cruise line terminal but if the existing rail can be extended to it, that would be yet another plus. Not to mention serving that community. People could get off the cruise ship take the rail to Fernandina, or St. Augustine. This could also serve to bring more cruise ships to our community and will only serve to further boost the economies of those historic towns.

BJ

What's the hold up?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:40:33 AM »
I read and read and still have not gained a clear understanding on the fear of moving forward that seems to exist with city officials...great article (as usual). Kudos to MetroJax.com. I love this site.

Lu

What is it gonna take?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:47:24 PM »
I so desperately want this to happen. Please someone tell us what we can do as individuals to help make commuter rail a reality here. I love this city and I want to see it continue to get better and I am willing to work har to make that happen. Where do we start?

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »
^ As a group we have to continue to be a squeaky wheel.  Just like with the parking issues raised by this site, this proposal will see its day.

There are weekly meetings at Boomtown Theatre in Hemming Park.  Check the forums for more info.

JJ

The Wave of the Future!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
Commuter rail is where it is at! Which means we will have it in Jacksonville in 20-30 years.